SuperSmexy500

Is it worth buying a PSP nowadays?

30 posts in this topic

I never got a PSP when they were new, since there wasn't really a lot of games for it that interested me, and I was quite content at the time with just having my DS as my go-to handheld.

I got a Vita soon after release, since it just appealed to me more than the PSP did (analogue sticks, trophy support, able to download PSP titles from the store, etc.). I don't regret my purchase, even though it hasn't had many (exclusive) games in recent years.

 

I've been contemplating lately though whether or not to get a second hand PSP, because there's still those few games I never played that tempt me. Honestly, there aren't many, but there are a few, such as games that never released in Europe and aren't available on the PSN store here (Jeanne d'Arc), and games that quite simply aren't going to fit on my current Vita card unless I delete stuff (have a 32GB memory card, have about 3GB free. 32GB memory cards still cost £60+, more than a pre-owned PSP 3000 would cost).

 

Is it worth getting a PSP in 2017? I do prefer owning games physically as well, which is another draw of getting a PSP.

Edited by SuperSmexy500
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, if you want one, treat yourself.

You did your research, if you are fine with the drawbacks then you are up for some kick ass games.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say no, since physical games on PSP are a really bad way to play - the power consumption required to run the UMD drive means the battery drains fast as hell - I ended up very quickly switching to fully digital just to give me enough battery to last for a couple hour bus journey - and that was in the bad-old-days of hardly any good sales on psn store. Nowadays you can get a lot of cheap digital copies.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason to own a PSP over Vita today is to be able to play the PSP games that, as you say, aren't available digitally - Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core springs to mind. If there's a lot of them you want to play, picking up a PSP makes sense. It's cheap, durable, and generally a great piece of hardware, although Vita remains superior IMO. As for physical copies, I always thought UMD was a cool format - but I also had issues with the plastic casing detaching. It'll probably get harder and harder to find replacement casings as time goes on, so I'd recommend going digital wherever you can. Fortunately the memory cards for PSP are much more affordable than Vita, especially second hand. 

 

If you are going to pick up a PSP, I'd definitely recommend the 3000 series. Hugely reliable, better battery life and slightly fast loads than on previous systems. The model that came after - E100 or something, I think - is actually a downgrade, with only mono speakers, and has a pretty ugly finish. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I never got a PSP when they were new, since there wasn't really a lot of games for it that interested me, and I was quite content at the time with just having my DS as my go-to handheld.

I got a Vita soon after release, since it just appealed to me more than the PSP did (analogue sticks, trophy support, able to download PSP titles from the store, etc.). I don't regret my purchase, even though it hasn't had many (exclusive) games in recent years.

 

I've been contemplating lately though whether or not to get a second hand PSP, because there's still those few games I never played that tempt me. Honestly, there aren't many, but there are a few, such as games that never released in Europe and aren't available on the PSN store here (Jeanne d'Arc), and games that quite simply aren't going to fit on my current Vita card unless I delete stuff (have a 32GB memory card, have about 3GB free. 32GB memory cards still cost £60+, more than a pre-owned PSP 3000 would cost).

 

Is it worth getting a PSP in 2017? I do prefer owning games physically as well, which is another draw of getting a PSP.

There's two ways to go about it, though one would be unethical. But when my PSP wasn't broken, I mainly used it to play Naruto games, and boy were they fun! Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3, Kizuna Drive, and yeah, LittleBigPlanet was....decent. It was great to not have touch screen taking away from the game, but you'd be pretty limited since PSPs wouldnt have as much games as Vita, imo. The other option is using a PSP emulator on the Vita combined with sd2vita for much more space. It'd be unethical though. Some might say playing God of War: Ghost of Sparta/Chains of Olympus on the PSP is better than on PS3, but nothing beats playing Spyro on the PSP. You can do it on Vita as well, but only if you're European. Vita doesn't allow for U.S. users to buy the Vita version of the Spyro/Crash games which sucks, but PSP does. Considering it's just the original PSOne game, you wouldn't see much difference. Technically, it is possible to play Spyro on Vita if you're European or use the multiple users exploit. With that said, if you get a PSP, try out the Naruto games and Spyro trilogy. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still play on my PSP from time to time. There are some really good games on there that are still fun today. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, Jeanne d'Arc, lots of fun JRPGs too.

 

Lots of games aren't that hard to find as physical releases, but I agree with DrBloodmoney that the discs just don't work that well. They're loud too. The PSP is really easy to make, uh, 'legally challenged'. I kinda like old computers and the slowness/noise that comes with them though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna be buying one and getting it JUST for Rock Band Unplugged honestly, loved that game to death and I needa replay. If you're buying to actually play a few games, then sure, they're really cheap now too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'd say no, since physical games on PSP are a really bad way to play - the power consumption required to run the UMD drive means the battery drains fast as hell - I ended up very quickly switching to fully digital just to give me enough battery to last for a couple hour bus journey - and that was in the bad-old-days of hardly any good sales on psn store. Nowadays you can get a lot of cheap digital copies.

That's not true though. I have a PSP 3000 and it takes ~5-6 hours until recharge whenever I play physical games or digital ones.

 

As many stated, the main point of getting PSP nowadays are physical exclusives. I did get one a several years back just for Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core. Picked up Star Ocean I&II and Parasite Eve 3 quickly after that. Its not like PSP costs a lot, so if you have a few system sellers its worth its price already.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Such-A-Goonie said:

I still play on my PSP from time to time. There are some really good games on there that are still fun today. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, Jeanne d'Arc, lots of fun JRPGs too.

 

Lots of games aren't that hard to find as physical releases, but I agree with DrBloodmoney that the discs just don't work that well. They're loud too. The PSP is really easy to make, uh, 'legally challenged'. I kinda like old computers and the slowness/noise that comes with them though.

It's fine as long as you own the games. I did it with mine just to cut down on load times and battery usage

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Heath Legend said:

I'm gonna be buying one and getting it JUST for Rock Band Unplugged honestly, loved that game to death and I needa replay. If you're buying to actually play a few games, then sure, they're really cheap now too.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.

 

There is no reason why Rock Band Unplugged shouldn't download for me on the Vita. Rights shouldn't be an issue, I already own the game and it's in my download list. I've seen people play it on Vita, I know it works, I can't for the life of me think of a reason for it's removal from the Vita compat list. Could be worth using the white or black list hack, but tbh I am happy with it on my PSP Go, I find the button layout for Rock Band is muchos better on the Go, plus dem Bluetooth headphone support is beautif. 

 

___

Also, just as a BTW to the anti-piracy police

I. I own about 90% of the games I have pirated either through PSN or on UMD, and in many cases both.

II. I download them on my memory card because the load times are better, and so I don't have to swap discs all the time, convenience is king.

III. Most of the games I have downloaded that I don't own, I can't buy digitally, and buying a used copy gives no money to the devs so I don't feel at all bad.

IV. Emulators for PS1 and earlier that I have on my PSP I straight up don't care about. None of those games are made new now, barely any are for sale digitally ANYWHERE, and used copies would be through the roof and run like a bag of shit on a modern TV anyway, so you can just eat my ass if you don't like me playing the Mega Drive version of NBA Jam on a PSP.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say yes, so many great games on it and a great handheld 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, the amount of games is just great, and the console itself is great too

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting to get so many so quickly.

The games I'm mostly interested in with the PSP are (and I'm aware not all of these are UMD exclusive):

 

Jeanne d'Arc

YS Seven (I know this recently released for PC, but I'm more interested in a portable version)

Crisis Core: FF7

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2

Star Ocean: First Departure

 

But, as I said, I'm just not sure if it's worth getting a PSP just for these few games. It's something I've been contemplating for the past year now; I've never actually brought any second-hand hardware before though, but it's basically impossible to find brand new PSPs nowadays, and I wouldn't want to spend any more than £100 for an older console. I think the "pre-owned" aspect is definitely holding me back a bit more than usual when deciding on a console purchase.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting to get so many so quickly.

The games I'm mostly interested in with the PSP are (and I'm aware not all of these are UMD exclusive):

 

Jeanne d'Arc

YS Seven (I know this recently released for PC, but I'm more interested in a portable version)

Crisis Core: FF7

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2

Star Ocean: First Departure

 

But, as I said, I'm just not sure if it's worth getting a PSP just for these few games. It's something I've been contemplating for the past year now; I've never actually brought any second-hand hardware before though, but it's basically impossible to find brand new PSPs nowadays, and I wouldn't want to spend any more than £100 for an older console. I think the "pre-owned" aspect is definitely holding me back a bit more than usual when deciding on a console purchase.

If you're looking for rpgs, there's a lot more on the psp than just those

 

Growlanser 4

3rd birthday

Mimana

Fate/extra

Persona 2

Hexyz force

Brave story 

Riviera

Legend of heroes tear of vermilion, twilight witch, and song of the ocean

 

Just to name a few. Not sure how many of these are available on the ps store though 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Heath Legend said:

I'm gonna be buying one and getting it JUST for Rock Band Unplugged honestly, loved that game to death and I needa replay. If you're buying to actually play a few games, then sure, they're really cheap now too.

That was a fantastic game. Funny how well it worked even without an instrument. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won my PSP free from Mcdonalds years ago (oddly enough I won it pretty luck, two trips only. Second code won lol). 
I've put around 12 hours total since 2005 into it. It just wasn't my thing.

I only got a vita a month or two ago for the trophy support.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS.

 

There is no reason why Rock Band Unplugged shouldn't download for me on the Vita. Rights shouldn't be an issue, I already own the game and it's in my download list. I've seen people play it on Vita, I know it works, I can't for the life of me think of a reason for it's removal from the Vita compat list. Could be worth using the white or black list hack, but tbh I am happy with it on my PSP Go, I find the button layout for Rock Band is muchos better on the Go, plus dem Bluetooth headphone support is beautif. 

The PSP download version was essentially a demo of sorts, didn't have many of the songs on it, the physical was the full version. Not sure why but yeah ..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Heath Legend said:

The PSP download version was essentially a demo of sorts, didn't have many of the songs on it, the physical was the full version. Not sure why but yeah ..

I know. I have the full UMD too, but the digi download was the first thing I bought for my Go back in the day. I stacked up like 20 odd songs through DLC too so my copy of the digi one isn't too bad. That's about the only time I ever REALLY got into DLC on a game. But it's not too bad really, the songs were around 2 bucks a piece, so 20 odd songs should be around 40 bucks, still cheaper than the full game would have been at launch and I got to hand pick the whole setlist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it, mate. Lots of fun with the DJMAX series are waiting for you:

 

DZg2Pb6.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If you're looking for rpgs, there's a lot more on the psp than just those

 

Growlanser 4

3rd birthday

Mimana

Fate/extra

Persona 2

Hexyz force

Brave story 

Riviera

Legend of heroes tear of vermilion, twilight witch, and song of the ocean

 

Just to name a few. Not sure how many of these are available on the ps store though 

Thanks for the suggestions. Persona 1 and 2 are on the PSN store, though I've never gotten around to buying them (not sure if they'd even fit on my memory card now anyway). I only got into series at Persona 3, and have heard the first two games are a lot different. I have enjoyed other SMT games though, so I'm not against trying them out.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Persona 1 and 2 are on the PSN store, though I've never gotten around to buying them (not sure if they'd even fit on my memory card now anyway). I only got into series at Persona 3, and have heard the first two games are a lot different. I have enjoyed other SMT games though, so I'm not against trying them out.

There's also a pretty big fan translation scene as well, that cover everything from gundam to hatsune miku to various visual novels

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

There's also a pretty big fan translation scene as well, that cover everything from gundam to hatsune miku to various visual novels

All of the Personas work on Vita (at least on PSN USA) but fan translations would need a "special" PSP. I supposedly bought a used PSP for Valkyria Chronicles 3's fan translation, which works great, but I haven't done much else with it.

 

It's still a good system but it's less useful if you have a Vita.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buying a PSP is worth it if you think it's worth it.

 

  • Will you spend time with it, even though you have a Vita and probably other consoles?
  • Does it have games you want to play that you can't play on systems you already own?
  • Looking at the first two points, do you think the amount of money you'll have to sink into the PSP and games is worth it?

Personally, I still occasionally buy a SNES cartridge. I think it's worth it, others might disagree. It's up to you to decide if the PSP is worth it - nothing new is being made for it so the game list is pretty much set in stone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.