GAMECHANGING PS4 News!

DanielVT

Okay, guys, this is pretty big....read the story from IGN below:

Report: PlayStation 4 Will Stream Games

“The new technology… will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet…”

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that “Sony Corp. is planning to offer technology to stream games to its next videogame console,” according to its own sources.

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on

As WSJ points out, such a move on Sony’s part would be unsurprising. Even when it was drowning in red ink, it still took a massive risk when it bought streaming service Gaikai for $380 million. There is absolutely no doubt that, with an investment that significant at such a difficult time for Sony, Gaikai's technology will be poised to play an important role in Sony’s future.

Streaming games to PlayStation 4 (and perhaps other Sony devices) would be significant, giving gamers access to a wide array of titles that they never had to purchase outright. This could suggest that Sony may have a game rental-like service on its next PlayStation, or perhaps even a new subscription service that would give gamers access to a library of offerings. At this point, everything remains speculative.

We've reached out to Sony for official comment and will update when we hear back. In the meantime, catch up on all of the pertinent PlayStation 4 news and rumors, including (but not limited to) information on PS4's controller, word of a new LittleBigPlanet and the possibility of Killzone 4 being a launch title.

Gaikai.jpg

Edited by DanielVT

I'd just prefer the system to be completely backwards compatible with all previous PS systems... oh how I dream.

As long as I don't have to pay for PSN I'll be happy.

Yeah I was thinking about that today. I hope they don't ruin it all by trying to charge to access PSN. Edited by Chambers35
  • Like 3

I would not be worried about much guys, Sony stated previously that the PSN would NEVER become a service that you had to pay to access. They would only charge for additional features such as PS Plus which everyone that has believes is a true steal.

Finally the PS4 has been confirmed by inside sources to contain a Blu-ray drive. The system will still have physical copies, but I personally think streaming games on the console is fantastic! It saves HDD space, and saves time so we don't have to download everything and spend hours in wait. One idea I had is that this gives the possibility that there will NEVER be another Playstation console. The key to streaming games is that you don't need graphics card...etc if the games simply stream from a cloud....I don't understand the tech....but I hear it is the way of the future.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but not everyone in the world has wonderful unlimited internet.

Here in Australia we don't all have unlimited internet (we pay somewhere around 200$ for 500 GB p/m) and if we chose plans/companies with unlimited internet we suffer for slower internet.

This is just the worst idea ever and I cannot even fathom why you'd want to stream a game via the internet when I can pay $60 once off and have a physical copy or even a downloaded copy.

Canada is the same.

Gamers who live in the sticks like me are gonna screwed. I can't even download most games due to having satellite internet, let alone stream games in real time.

Another point i made

Dan i dont think you realize how many people could not take advantage of this.

• Like 1

I don't understand why this would upset people? If you don't want to stream your games, then you still have the option to purchase a physical copy. The idea that a feature should not be included because some people can not or would not use it is ridiculous. I personally would rather still own physical copies of my games, but that doesn't mean I think the feature shouldn't be available.

• Like 3

I Have unlimited But Horrendously Slow internet & I don't really Care for this as I still Plan on using Physical Copies....

The only Bad thing I see in this is that if it goes through, then Sony Might get Funny Ideas for the Near Future & Probably Opt to Make Streaming Only Games & Such...

How I dread those Days in the Future... :shakefist:

I don't understand why this would upset people?

It upsets some people because it's not viable for them, and it sounds like an interesting idea too. Australia has lousy internet in comparison to both the UK and the States, so streaming would be pretty much out of the question for us Australians because of our poor speeds and lack of unlimited or cheap broadband.

It upsets some people because it's not viable for them, and it sounds like an interesting idea too. Australia has lousy internet in comparison to both the UK and the States, so streaming would be pretty much out of the question for us Australians because of our poor speeds and lack of unlimited or cheap broadband.

I understand that it may not be appropriate for some people, but if you still have the option to purchase or download games... what's the problem if it's included for others that may want to use this feature? It shouldn't make a difference whether or not the feature is even there at that point. I could understand that if this was going to be the only delivery method for some games that this would be an issue.

• Like 1

my connection couldnt handle streaming games also but i still think its a good idea as an option.

a good thing about online streaming would be that you could pay an hourly rate (basically renting a game) before you buy it fully!

Edited by ANTIOX_

I don't understand why this would upset people? If you don't want to stream your games, then you still have the option to purchase a physical copy. The idea that a feature should not be included because some people can not or would not use it is ridiculous. I personally would rather still own physical copies of my games, but that doesn't mean I think the feature shouldn't be available.

Not upset its just not a good method to deliver games.

I could see why some may like the idea. Look at all the people who use Spotify over getting CDs or mp3s and people who use Netflix or Amazon video sreaming over buying DVDs or Blu-Rays. With that said I also would prefer the game disc over streaming and even downloading because my internet while good sometimes has a cap and also can be god awful sometimes.

Not upset its just not a good method to deliver games.

Thats a wrong assumption, it is true that people with an internet connection incapable of reliable streaming wont be able to enjoy this feaure (keep in mind I'm one of those) but for the other part this is a solid and interesting option. Nobody is going ti forcing us to stream video games, my point is, just beause we can't take advantage of a feature doesn´t mean other people shouldn't.

• Like 1

I understand that it may not be appropriate for some people, but if you still have the option to purchase or download games... what's the problem if it's included for others that may want to use this feature? It shouldn't make a difference whether or not the feature is even there at that point. I could understand that if this was going to be the only delivery method for some games that this would be an issue.

Let me put it simply, this will likely be advertised as a selling point and it won't work for them if anything it'll work against them want to know why?

If an item does not/is incapable of doing what it is advertised as being capable of that can fall under false advertising and this will work for who the US and Japan the best while the other regions will suffer if a choppy stream at best or nothing in a worst case scenario. I don't care if it is a great game changing revolution, the world as a whole just isn't ready or capable of pulling this off at current and that is ignoring the internet pricing and speeds here in Australia(unsure on other regions) so it is doomed to fail for now.

I'd understand it being used maybe as a way to play demos or MMOs if more of those come over but as a whole this idea is really too far ahead of it's time at current.

Nobody is going ti forcing us to stream video games, my point is, just beause we can't take advantage of a feature doesn´t mean other people shouldn't.

Problem with that is what if a publisher decides to publish their game only via this method they'd be forcing you to use this and the way the gaming industry is headed especially with these one profile machines I'd say it won't be all that long before this is forced down our throats, oh that would be another flaw this method would have to be account bound so you'd be paying the same price as a DL or physical for a single account game... money not so well spent...

• Like 2