Performance post WotC

SGrimer

Heard so many great things about the new expansion and it's making me want to jump back in but I just can't support the devs if the game still runs as bad as vanilla XCOM2...

I know everyone is saying the PC version has come on leaps and bounds from vanilla but seeing how bad the base game could be on console I'm not hopeful we will have the same performace increase :(

Anyone taken the plunge on PS4 yet? Any thoughts and experiences?

I did about 10 - 15 missions to get to know the new basics. Haven't experienced everything the game has to offer yet, but so far, I like it.

The load times are better than in Vanilla, but they are still long. WotC has performance issues when it comes to loading screens en route to and evaluation after missions (when you see your soldiers sitting in the Avenger or landing after the mission). They got better (although they didn't disappear) when I rebuilt the database. I had a bug when after a cutscene, the scene would play again without sound. Since you can skip cutscenes, it is a minor problem. In one cutscene, the sound and the picture were out of synch. Did not encounter that problem in other cutscenes.

Sometimes, there can be a short delay when you cycle through too quickly with your actions ( I assume it has to do with ironman mode).

Soldier creation also has issues. Like Cassylvania said, voice preview is delayed. WotC does not share the character pool with Vanilla, so if you want to have special soldiers, you'll have to create them again. I always create Ripley and the Marines from Aliens.

The gameplay so far feels fresh and different enough. What I like best besides the new factions is that I am using my whole roster instead of a few super soldiers. The fatigue system and covert operations give plenty of opportunity to utilize soldiers of any rank). It is fun to play with the new type of soldiers.

For people who disliked the timed missions: At the advanced campaign options, you can chose double mission timers and double length for the Avatar project.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juzota said:

I think loading times are actually way longer than in vanilla. It takes forever to start a mission.

On my side, kind of feels in between : latest updates improved drastically on loading times in vanilla, and playing WotC kinda brings you back to the old ones, except late game, where WotC is still better than vanilla.

Concerning new issues : don't even remember a single blue screen crash on vanilla, and I've had at least five last week playing WotC, mainly from visiting character pool/armory/training centre. And otherwise, same here with voice preview delay and light freeze on missions loading screen.

Edited by KennethMcCormick

There's a noticeable improvement but it still has it's problem, nothing is fixed, they're just not as bad as they were. For me, the issues are little more than a minor inconvenience as they don't really have any impact on the game such is the genre and style of play. It's a truly excellent bit of dlc that adds so much to the base game, if you're an xcom fan then i'd highly recommend it. My only gripe is i'd have loved a separate trophy list like we got with enemy unknown/enemy within.