Deleting unpublished guides

bpmotard

Hey guys, I just wanted to add a little suggestion and that is deleting your unpublished guides. Why?

Well, at least for me, I started writing some guides that other users published before I did or simply I got bored or didn't feel like the guide had any good potencial and now they are simply laying there and I would like to delete them, since they will never be published. Why isn't this an option? 

Thank you for your time :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

If you don't want them anymore you can try to work something out with Sly or the Guide Team. They're all very kind and helpful. 

This is true, both Sly and other guide team members(BlindMango and Dragon-Archon comes to mind) always helped with any and every trouble I had in the past, but it still could be a nice feature for those who have abandoned guides (and we would not need to bother the guide team everytime we need to delete a guide) :)

• Like 1

It would be nice if there was the option, but only if it was sent to a mod to approve the deletion of the guide.

I only say that, because my Birth By Sleep guide was never meant to be published. I got about 2/3 of the way done, and stopped making it. It was just too much work, and there were other things I wanted to do instead. BlindMango saw that the guide was mostly done, and offered to finish it up, and then they released it. It's helped a lot more people than I expected, and if we could just delete guides, it never would've even been released. That's why I think they should be sent for mod approval before deletion. Most may just be able to get deleted, but others may be better than the guide maker thinks, and could actually get completed by someone else.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, bpmotard said:

This is true, both Sly and other guide team members(BlindMango and Dragon-Archon comes to mind) always helped with any and every trouble I had in the past, but it still could be a nice feature for those who have abandoned guides (and we would not need to bother the guide team everytime we need to delete a guide) :)

Yeah that's true, it would be a nice / helpful feature and not having to bother the guys you listed is a major plus. But then also I think about what ExHaseo posted above and that's actually a pretty good statement too. If we had the power of deletion we may unintentionally delete guides that would of actually been great to have out there.

It's a nice thing to think about. :lol:

I get that Sly wants to focus on implementing features that are beneficial to all members, not just a small portion of them, but this is a feature people have been requesting for years now. I know it isn't the most urgent issue that needs to be addressed, but the people who make guides are a great asset to this site. They bring in clicks, new members, etc. If anything can be done to improve these people's lives and keep them here making guides instead of going elsewhere, then surely it's worth the effort.

As for the suggestion that you would need to send a request to the guide team/a mod before your guide is deleted, I'm not a fan of that at all. I don't know what the law says, but as far as I'm concerned, the guide you wrote should belong to you. The wishes of the guide writer should be respected if they want it taken down, even if something of worth is lost in that process. I don't like the thought of someone else deciding that for you.