Final Fantasy IX Trophy Thoughts?

Kishnabe

1 hour ago, FOX said:

Personally incredibly disappointed that the 9999 damage cheat, speed hack and no encounter cheat do not disable trophies. It makes all trophies except for the 1000 robe skips an absolute joke. Here I was thinking FF9, my favourite FF game, finally might get a hard trophy list unlike all the piss poor easy lists already out there. 

HOT TIP: You can leave those cheats unused and still go about getting all the trophies and Excalibur II the old-fashioned way for a decent enough challenge. Additionally, Track Star is still going to be a pain regardless of whether you use cheats or not.

Also, I'm not sure why you thought FFIX was going to have a "hard" trophy list, when every Final Fantasy game that supports trophies has had a fairly easy list (aside from some stupid mini-game trophies), if you're a seasoned veteran of the series. The trick is often creating your own challenge in games if the existing challenge isn't satisfying enough, i.e., fighting Penance in FFX at low sphere grid levels (w/o Yojimbo), clearing Stage 100 of FFXII's Trial Mode in Weak Mode, etc.

For my part, I'm glad that ordeals like those aren't trophies, as they appeal to an infinitesimal subset of the fanbase. Trophy hunting should, at the end of the day, be fun; hyper-challenging, obtuse trophy lists miss the point - except in cases like Super Meat Boy and its ilk, as those games were meant to be hyper-challenging to begin with. 

Edited by darkamdusias
  • Like 2

For anyone else struggling to get started at all with the Skipping Rope shit at all, as @Meacham suggested earlier, at 50+ it is probably a good idea to look away from your screen. Went from 3 hours of barely hitting 60, to consistently hitting 200 within 20 mins doing so.

Now to figure out how to get past this hurdle of the 200-300 section heh..

Edited by Griffon234

On 9/20/2017 at 9:41 AM, Matrim_Drasgen said:

This is the first time that I can recall that when you beat the game you get a Bronze trophy. Normally it is gold, think I have seen silver before. I am sure it has happened in other games, maybe even one I have played, but for some reason it is sticking out to me here. It is a big deal to beat a game, typically a higher grade trophy is the reward for doing so.

Jotun has this. You get a big, fat bronze trophy for beating Odin and winning the game. You have to complete to 100% to get a silver. You only get gold by beating the Valhalla difficulty. But yeah - it's pretty lame at the end of the day to get a bronze. Hell, in FFVII, you got a gold trophy just for beating story boss Diamond Weapon.

3 hours ago, FOX said:

Personally incredibly disappointed that the 9999 damage cheat, speed hack and no encounter cheat do not disable trophies. It makes all trophies except for the 1000 robe skips an absolute joke. Here I was thinking FF9, my favourite FF game, finally might get a hard trophy list unlike all the piss poor easy lists already out there. 

Super easy to avoid being disappointed mate, don't use it xD

Those cheats are totally optional and won't trouble you at all towards the Platinum. 

If you're sad because the plat rarity would go up, don't worry much because I'm sure the ropes will be the defying factor for the rarity, not inflict 9999 damage or damage output. 

Enjoy this incredible game and be happy that square finally released the wonders of releasing the classics with trophies. Now the prayers for VIII and VI commences. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mah2c said:

Super easy to avoid being disappointed mate, don't use it xD

Those cheats are totally optional and won't trouble you at all towards the Platinum. 

If you're sad because the plat rarity would go up, don't worry much because I'm sure the ropes will be the defying factor for the rarity, not inflict 9999 damage or damage output. 

Enjoy this incredible game and be happy that square finally released the wonders of releasing the classics with trophies. Now the prayers for VIII and VI commences. 

As a busy as hell soon-to-be chemistry grad student (fingers crossed I get into ETHZurich!), these cheats are a god send. I LOVE Final Fantasy IX. I have beaten it twice a year every year since its original release back. The ability to speed up the grindy portions of the game and random battles make me so happy.

56 minutes ago, Griffon234 said:

For anyone else struggling to get started at all with the Skipping Rope shit at all, as @Meacham suggested earlier, at 50+ it is probably a good idea to look away from your screen. Went from 3 hours of barely hitting 60, to consistently hitting 200 within 20 mins doing so.

Consider it a really fast heartbeat. (200-300)

2 hours ago, darkamdusias said:

HOT TIP: You can leave those cheats unused and still go about getting all the trophies and Excalibur II the old-fashioned way for a decent enough challenge. Additionally, Track Star is still going to be a pain regardless of whether you use cheats or not.

Also, I'm not sure why you thought FFIX was going to have a "hard" trophy list, when every Final Fantasy game that supports trophies has had a fairly easy list (aside from some stupid mini-game trophies), if you're a seasoned veteran of the series. The trick is often creating your own challenge in games if the existing challenge isn't satisfying enough, i.e., fighting Penance in FFX at low sphere grid levels (w/o Yojimbo), clearing Stage 100 of FFXII's Trial Mode in Weak Mode, etc.

For my part, I'm glad that ordeals like those aren't trophies, as they appeal to an infinitesimal subset of the fanbase. Trophy hunting should, at the end of the day, be fun; hyper-challenging, obtuse trophy lists miss the point - except in cases like Super Meat Boy and its ilk, as those games were meant to be hyper-challenging to begin with. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. There are games out there that can be played for a challenge if that's what you're looking for. Final Fantasy games don't tend to be that. At least they gave you a solid list while making the option to make it easy or not in the form of the cheats. Plus it seems the jump rope trophy will be a royal pain for players who aren't serious about the completion. Unless you're genuinely concerned with the rarity of each trophy I don't really see the problem here. 

1 hour ago, Griffon234 said:

Do know it slows down at 200 to 300... after that it speeds up again, but from there it's gonna be the same speed until 1000.

Also, rope jump might be easier at the end of the game. There you get to be in the center of the screen and you cover more of the screen as well.

It's a 7 minute marathon though... If you watch the video, this guy already failed once at 954. xD 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

I'm unfamiliar with this game. Care to share why this is hard? Its just 8 minutes of pressing 1 button at set intervals. I have done much worse for periods of 6-8 hours.

You can't press too early or too late, and it speeds up at 25, 50, 100, then slows down at 200 to 300, then after 300 it keeps a steady pace, and you gotta make it to 1000. That's 7 minutes of non-stop clicking at the correct time. if only it was the same speed all the time... :P 

Edited by MMDE

5 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

I'm unfamiliar with this game. Care to share why this is hard? Its just 8 minutes of pressing 1 button at set intervals. I have done much worse for periods of 6-8 hours.

If you try it you will definitely understand ; ) 

I think I got to 50 jumps all the times I've played over the... Omg decades(that makes you feel old...) 

I always said nope, not worth the rewards. 

1 minute ago, Dav9834 said:

I think I got to 50 jumps all the times I've played over the... Omg decades(that makes you feel old...) 

Never was worth it until they attached a Silver trophy for 100, Gold for 1000 and Platinum for completion.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Yeah, I never did 1000. I once hit like 450 or so... just never worth it, no matter how much I wanted that one key item just for OCD.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

Yeah, that's definitely what's going on. I wish Square had done a better job of optimizing this release. :\

Not played this version yet, so I can't tell, but haven't heard anyone else complain about it, so I kinda doubt it, Are you sure you aren't just clicking too early? It was never easy to do in the first place, and people who get the hang of it are able to do it.

Edited by MMDE

13 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Not played this version yet, so I can't tell, but haven't heard anyone else complain about it, so I kinda doubt it, Are you sure you aren't just clicking too early? It was never easy to do in the first place, and people who get the hang of it are able to do it.

There's a noticeable difference in timing from my Vita (PS1 Classic version), so it could just as easily be my TV as well. Or me. I'll figure it out. :)

5 hours ago, Brawler said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. There are games out there that can be played for a challenge if that's what you're looking for. Final Fantasy games don't tend to be that. At least they gave you a solid list while making the option to make it easy or not in the form of the cheats. Plus it seems the jump rope trophy will be a royal pain for players who aren't serious about the completion. Unless you're genuinely concerned with the rarity of each trophy I don't really see the problem here. 

The person in question is not at all worried about the game being easy. I'm assuming the person can tie his or her own shoelaces, so I don't get why anyone feels the need to explain mundane crap like that.

The problem is that the prestige of completing a game completely diminishes if the same achievement can be had using cheats. Getting gold in the Olympics for the 1500m freestyle swimming is somewhat less impactful if the same gold medal can be obtained by someone else using a speed boat.

I personally don't allow a personal achievement to become clouded by the methods of another, but I can fully understand how someone else might be disappointed by that.  

Edited by Paige-ID

This might be out of place here though trophy related, it is not a thought but asking for help. Just didn't want to start another topic in the game's forum. If someone can assist or if I find one / make one on my own, I can make a new one for easier assistance for others.

Does anyone have a list for Bronze A Clean Bill of Health?

2 hours ago, Paige-ID said:

The person in question is not at all worried about the game being easy. I'm assuming the person can tie his or her own shoelaces, so I don't get why anyone feels the need to explain mundane crap like that.

The problem is that the prestige of completing a game completely diminishes if the same achievement can be had using cheats. Getting gold in the Olympics for the 1500m freestyle swimming is somewhat less impactful if the same gold medal can be obtained by someone else using a speed boat.

I personally don't allow a personal achievement to become clouded by the methods of another, but I can fully understand how someone else might be disappointed by that.  

They can't cheat the jump rope, no speed boat there. if they get that trophy they completely deserve the platinum. There will be no disappointment there that's for sure