Final Fantasy IX Trophy Thoughts?

Kishnabe

20 minutes ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Is this the game that's regarded as the best in the series? I haven't played this on the PS1. I was introduced to X.

Top picks are generally VI, VII, IV and X.

There is no universally agreed upon favorite. IX is my favorite PSone Final Fantasy, second overall.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

I came to the whole series as an adult, tried most of the entries, and this is the one I found the most beautiful, adventurous and simple. Most of the titles are contrived and complicated or just plainly not my taste (FF7, yes, I know), but IX is beautiful, pure and bittersweet. Great score and characters.

22 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

There is no "the" game that's regarded as the best in the series -- people have *wildly* varying opinions on which FF game is the best. FF6, 7, 9 (i.e., this game), and 10 are the "usual" answers.

4 minutes ago, darkbeuh said:

I love Final Fantasy, bought FFIX day one, but I really can't remember much past disc 2.

Tastes and all.

4 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Top picks are generally VI, VII, IV and X.

There is no universally agreed upon favorite. IX is my favorite PSone Final Fantasy, second overall.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pick it up anyway and see what it's like. May wait for a sale as it seems to pricey for now. 

I am not attempting this plat because of E2. 

I don't mind difficult challenges, but speedrunning isn't a thing I generally do.

I want the 1000 skips, though. When I was a kid, I got to 2000 skips and only stopped because I got bored. Wasn't easy to get to that level, though. 

1 minute ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna pick it up anyway and see what it's like. May wait for a sale as it seems to pricey for now. 

You do get a pretty classy theme (and some avatars), but I get ya. It was over $20 in CAD even with the PS+ discount. Pricey. :( But I love this game so... I can't resist.

Edited by Elvick_

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

You do get a pretty classy theme (and some avatars), but I get ya. It was over $20 in CAD even with the PS+ discount. Pricey. :( But I love this game so... I can't resist.

Wonder if the theme and avatars are time limited? Can you maybe show what the avatars look like? 

Excited for the sudden release of the PS4 version, less excited about the jump rope trophy since I've always been awful at it :P Don't mind Excalibur II as much since it's less annoying nowadays since I've done that before (on an emulator though as the PAL PS1 version was considered impossible though I hear that's changed since then), whereas the jump rope always annoys me.

P.S. Only the "always on" boosters disable trophies.

1 minute ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Wonder if the theme and avatars are time limited? Can you maybe show what the avatars look like? 

The avatars are the characters on a yellow background. I put on Vivi below so you can see it.

1 minute ago, zadorvp said:

Excited for the sudden release of the PS4 version, less excited about the jump rope trophy since I've always been awful at it :P Don't mind Excalibur II as much since it's less annoying nowadays since I've done that before (on an emulator though as the PAL PS1 version was considered impossible though I hear that's changed since then), whereas the jump rope always annoys me.

P.S. Only the "always on" boosters disable trophies.

The avatars are the characters on a yellow background. I put on Vivi below so you can see it.

Oh, not bad. I'm not really keen on the background though. 

So, maybe this will apply to this version?:

"The Steam and mobile release makes the challenge substantially easier as cutscenes can be skipped, random encounters can be disabled, the player can stat boost their players to defeat enemies quicker, the battle intros can be disabled and the player can speed up their game by five times without affecting the internal clock. Even without speeding up the game, it is easily possible to claim the sword in under nine hours by making use of all other enhancements. In these versions, claiming the sword earns the player the achievement The Ultimate Sword. Usage of enhancements does not prevent the player from earning the achievement, however, as with all such enhancements, it is at the player's discretion whether such use constitutes cheating."

SOURCE: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_II

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

So, maybe this will apply to this version?:

"The Steam and mobile release makes the challenge substantially easier as cutscenes can be skipped, random encounters can be disabled, the player can stat boost their players to defeat enemies quicker, the battle intros can be disabled and the player can speed up their game by five times without affecting the internal clock. Even without speeding up the game, it is easily possible to claim the sword in under nine hours by making use of all other enhancements. In these versions, claiming the sword earns the player the achievement The Ultimate Sword. Usage of enhancements does not prevent the player from earning the achievement, however, as with all such enhancements, it is at the player's discretion whether such use constitutes cheating."

SOURCE: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_II

Yes, that should still apply here though apparently the permanent boosts disable trophies (temporary ones should be safe).

2 minutes ago, soniq said:

I think the ones that permanently boost the characters to max level are considered permanent.

Yeah, but disabling random encounters would be permanent as well, so which ones are actually temporary?

EDIT: I see, temporary meaning you can switch them on and off? Never played the Steam version, so that's all new to me.

Edited by fabmorais_2011

6 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

Which ones do you call permanent?

Permanent boosts can't be turned off, temporary ones (such as the speed booster) can. There should be an in-game notification letting you know which ones can't be turned off, but my game hasn't downloaded yet so I can't check if that's true :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eXeViuS said:

These trophies seem pretty hard and grindy.

Having played through the original PS game as a high schooler, I can say this is my least favorite Final Fantasy. I didn't hate the characters or anything like that, but it was boring as heck for me. Now that they reported it and I saw the list, I saw some very unfriendly trophies that made this game a complete no-go for me:

• Beat Ozma, the secret boss: YEEEEEEEAH, who in the FFIX community has even done that. Ozma is the ultimate troll boss. Unless the Steam version fixes some of his attacks to not be insanely OP, good luck with that! :(
  • Get 1000 perfect skips on the jump rope minigame: No way, Jose.
  • Win 1000 Tetra Master matches: NOPE.

I am passing on this game.

Edited by MysticjMax

are the avatars also available now on US PSN? I need Vivi avatar :3

oh boy... lots of missable trophies but I really don't mind. Wonder how reaching level 99 will take though, could remember that the highest level I got was level 50+.