Your 4-Character Party

Matrim_Drasgen

When you have everyone, who are the four characters you use and why? Who are your go-to characters?

My team is:

1. Zidane - Given since he has to be there (with spoiler-free exceptions of course) but still a good choice. Swift attacker as he is a Thief. Can use strong medium armor, has high attack power, can take advantage of Synthesis early in the game as well as has the easiest upgrades. Has some of the best lines in the game from comedy to advice to inspiration. Great character. In combat, his Trance is great, can steal, and has a high dodge rate. Best all-around fighter of the eight PC available.

2. Dagger - Got to have the Princess. Such a strong woman, her character growth is the most exponential out of everyone who is playable, and in the entire story, she pretty much is at the epicenter for everything, good or bad. She is a Summoner first with White Mage sub-capabilities. Great Magic Attack and good Magic Defense. Weak in the physical attack game even with Rackets. Dynamic story interactions with Zidane.

3. Vivi - Resident Black Mage. Young and naive, he is a good kid. Powerful spells that get even more deadly with his Trance mode. Physical attack is negligible but has a good MP pool to always stay relevant in a fight. Good, kind-hearted soul. Has had some traumatic experiences happen to him but watching him go through these trials and their outcomes is impressive.

4. Amarant - Strong attacker. Has some good support abilities due to his Monk class. His 'Chakra' health/mana restoration is always handy in a pinch, got cool lone-wolf one-liners, and is just a great addition to the team. Enjoy his combat animations, particularly when he dodges. He is a beast of a man in both looks and fighting style. I would like him sooner rather than later for my team but story-wise, it makes sense when he comes into play.

Many people will argue a way better combination or tell me that 'X' person is not needed for whatever reason. That is fine. I don't pick my team for the best damage dealing or broken fights. I use these four because I like them the best in and out of combat. Who is your team and why? Even if it is because they are the best for dealing damage and breaking fights, that is fine. Just curious about who gets used and why.

Edited by Matrim_Drasgen

I beat the original with this team and plan to use the same when I get this.

Zidane: No choice here, but is killer with the auto haste attachment (so fast!), Plus, his trance is pretty awesome.

Vivi: Low Hp, but can deal damage where it hurts the most. Especially with flare or holy in your arsenal. Was the only character alive when I beat the game.

Dagger: You need a healer somewhere and is a great summoner (when she is able to concentrate). 

Steiner: The magic sword combo is just too good to pass up! Plus just a beast on attack and defense. (Magic defense..  not so much)

6 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

I use Zidane / Dagger / Vivi / Steiner.

Steiner is hands down my favorite FF character. Even if he wasn't, I'd still use him. Sword Magic is just too much fun lol.

Haha same!

• Like 1

Currently playing the original and I use:

Zidane: He's the one you use the most and he can steal, some of the best stuff such as Genji armour can only be stolen.

Freya: The jump ability is a life saver and she's strong.

Eiko: Best white mage even if I prefer Garnet as a character.

Vivi: He's very useful, strong and adorable.

Steiner: He's strong but too slow and half his abilities need Vivi.

Quina: I've never liked blue magic.

Garnet/dagger: She's the best summoner but I rarely use them.

Amarant: I'm not a fan of his skills  command or ability options and since he's the last one to join he kinda gets pushed to the side for me.

Another thing is what Trance everyone gets:

Vivi: Double black magic

Eiko: Double white magic

Zidane: A separate skills command list which are powerful

Garnet: If she summons once while in trance, that summon has a chance to attack for free but weaker and she needs to stay in trance

Steiner: He does 1.5 extra damage

Ararant: His flairs attack multiple enemies

Freya: Her jump attack is powered up, she stays in the air longer and doesn't come down but instead throws spears.

Quina: Enemies only need 50% health to learn a skill instead of 25%

You can play the game using anyone, it doesn't matter. =)

Edited by LucileRose

1 hour ago, LucileRose said:

Currently playing the original and I use:

Zidane: He's the one you use the most and he can steal, some of the best stuff such as Genji armour can only be stolen.

Freya: The jump ability is a life saver and she's strong.

Eiko: Best white mage even if I prefer Garnet as a character.

Vivi: He's very useful, strong and adorable.

Steiner: He's strong but too slow and have his abilities need Vivi.

Quina: I've never liked blue magic.

Garnet/dagger: She's the best summoner but I rarely use them.

Amarant: I'm not a fan of his skills  command or ability options and since he's the last one to join he kinda gets pushed to the side for me.

Another thing is what Trance everyone gets:

Vivi: Double black magic

Eiko: Double white magic

Zidane: A separate skills command list which are powerful

Garnet: If she summons once while in trance, that summon has a chance to attack for free but weaker but she needs to stay in trance

Steiner: He does 1.5 extra damage

Ararant: His flairs attack multiple enemies

Freya: Her jump attack is powered up, she stays in the air longer and doesn't come down but instead throws spears.

Quina: Enemies only need 50% health to learn a skill instead of 25%

You can play the game using anyone, it doesn't matter. =)

Yeah, I liked Freya as well. But, the only reason I used her was for the jump ability. I never really used eiko much, because she just seemed like a copy of Garnet. Agree on Quina. found it to be a waste of space.

You're right though, you can use ANYONE and beat the game. Though, it may be much harder without a white mage. :)

I'm pretty sure my levels were like this when I beat the game originally (no exaggerating either). Not exact, but probably within 2 levels each way.

Zidane - 58

Vivi - 55

Steiner - 52

Garnet - 51

Ararant - 49

Freya - 39

Eiko - 35

Quina - 29 NO JOKE.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

I use Zidane / Dagger / Vivi / Steiner.

Steiner is hands down my favorite FF character. Even if he wasn't, I'd still use him. Sword Magic is just too much fun lol.

Pretty much used this set up in all my runs, there's not really any reason to swap them out, though occasionally I did swap out Steiner for Freya. This group just gives the best balance and pretty much everyone can deal high damage, with Dagger giving buffs/healing, and using summons on occasion.

1 hour ago, Griffon234 said:

I have, for the longest time, used Zidane/Garnet/Steiner/Vivi for everything, bar Ozma.

For Ozma, I used Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Eiko.

Interesting. Why that set up for Ozma? I've not seen anyone as of yet who didn't put Amarant or Quina in the party, because the fight was pretty much impossible for me without Auto-life. Also, other than Zidane, people usually put in Freya (for the Jump ability to dodge, and Dragon's Crest for the guaranteed damage) or Steiner (w/Shock) as damage dealers. I am genuinely curious as to how that fight works at all with those characters, as I can't think of a good strat with them.

8 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Interesting. Why that set up for Ozma? I've not seen anyone as of yet who didn't put Amarant or Quina in the party, because the fight was pretty much impossible for me without Auto-life. Also, other than Zidane, people usually put in Freya (for the Jump ability to dodge, and Dragon's Crest for the guaranteed damage) or Steiner (w/Shock) as damage dealers. I am genuinely curious as to how that fight works at all with those characters, as I can't think of a good strat with them.

You can beat Ozma pretty easily with Vivi/Eiko/Garnet in Trance at Ozma. All that you need is Auto-Regen.

I use Zidane to steal, and Garnet to use Ark in Trance. This now makes Ark get summoned with every action. From there, do double Doomsday and double Holy with Vivi and Eiko. Ark will also be summoned between every cast in that set of four. Auto-Regen will keep you alive, as long as you don't die in one hit from Doomsday, as it ticks during animations, and the animation is so long between Doomsday and Ark.

The annoying part of this is succeeding in stealing the Pumice Piece. If you don't care about that, then you can just simply use Thievery with Zidane and do a max damage hit assuming you've stolen enough in the game for this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Griffon234 said:

You can beat Ozma pretty easily with Vivi/Eiko/Garnet in Trance at Ozma. All that you need is Auto-Regen.

I use Zidane to steal, and Garnet to use Ark in Trance. This now makes Ark get summoned with every action. From there, do double Doomsday and double Holy with Vivi and Eiko. Ark will also be summoned between every cast in that set of four. Auto-Regen will keep you alive, as long as you don't die in one hit from Doomsday, as it ticks during animations, and the animation is so long between Doomsday and Ark.

The annoying part of this is succeeding in stealing the Pumice Piece. If you don't care about that, then you can just simply use Thievery with Zidane and do a max damage hit assuming you've stolen enough in the game for this.

Interesting. Thanks for that insight, that's actually pretty smart. Its HP is actually pretty low, so I can see that strat working pretty well. I'll actually keep this in mind for my next run, as I had absolutely no space in how I deal with that fight to even think about trying to steal the pumice piece, but I'll try something along these lines when I get to it. I still think it would take a few tries (there's a lot of RNG in this fight, as you know, along with the weird timing of his moves) but it seems pretty sound. Cheers!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Interesting. Thanks for that insight, that's actually pretty smart. Its HP is actually pretty low, so I can see that strat working pretty well. I'll actually keep this in mind for my next run, as I had absolutely no space in how I deal with that fight to even think about trying to steal the pumice piece, but I'll try something along these lines when I get to it. I still think it would take a few tries (there's a lot of RNG in this fight, as you know, along with the weird timing of his moves) but it seems pretty sound. Cheers!

Yeah. His ATB is insane, if you play on active, you literally have zero time to think. Not to mention you have to pray he doesn't just Berserk/Curse and destroy you or Curaga. Another thing to keep in mind is that it would help to have someone to be a multiple of level 4. His LVL4-Holy is garbage, and you can bait him into using it and pray that it gives you extra breathing room. LVL5-Death however... another story, unless I forgot something that lets you resist it LOL.

Good luck! :D

Edited by Griffon234
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Zidane - 58

Quina - 29 NO JOKE.

I always have one or more characters completely undrleveled in these games. In FFVI there were 14 characters, screw leveling them all. I beat the game with my favorite 6 in the 40s I think, next seven between 25 and 40, and Guu (or whatever his name is) at level 13. I absolutely hate blue magic. Anybody that has it automatically gets added to the bench. 

Honestly though I don't remember anything at all about this game. It's literally about 1 of 3 RPGs I beat straight through without a break, but I just never really fell in love with this one. I'll pick it up when I  can get it cheap eventually, and hopefully it clicks this time. 

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

I always have one or more characters completely undrleveled in these games. In FFVI there were 14 characters, screw leveling them all. I beat the game with my favorite 6 in the 40s I think, next seven between 25 and 40, and Guu (or whatever his name is) at level 13. I absolutely hate blue magic. Anybody that has it automatically gets added to the bench. 

Honestly though I don't remember anything at all about this game. It's literally about 1 of 3 RPGs I beat straight through without a break, but I just never really fell in love with this one. I'll pick it up when I  can get it cheap eventually, and hopefully it clicks this time. 

I don't know if anyone remembers the part where you split up into 2 groups, but that F***Ed me pretty hard. Lol. Did not think I was going to use the other group! Ararant was the only one at a decent level at that point for the second group. Pretty much had Eiko constantly heal everyone while Ararant attacked and Freya jumped to avoid getting one-shotted. Quina was probably down 80% of the time. xD

• Like 2

I've replayed the game basically every year since it originally released. Party of Zidane, Dagger, Steiner, and Vivi never let me down.

Also for a particular part of the game...

Spoiler

When you have to choose between two teams for Oelivert and Desert Palace, I go:

Oelivert

Zidane

Amarant

Freya

Dagger

Desert Palace

Eiko

Steiner

Vivi

Quina

Some might go "WHAAAAAA, why Dagger in a place you can't use magic?" Because she is too unreliable in Desert Palace when she panics occasionally. Plus if Quina knows Lv. 5 Death, he/she can literally kill everything in Desert Palace instantly.

Edited by Death_Ninja

8 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I don't know if anyone remembers the part where you split up into 2 groups, but that F***Ed me pretty hard. Lol. Did not think I was going to use the other group! Ararant was the only one at a decent level at that point for the second group. Pretty much had Eiko constantly heal everyone while Ararant attacked and Freya jumped to avoid getting one-shotted. Quina was probably down 80% of the time. xD

I don't, but it's nice when a game tells you you're splitting up and "Hey, you'll need to use each group."

I remember playing FFVI where you split into three groups. Totally wiped the first time. :facepalm:

Every playthrough my party always ends up being the same.

Zidane/Dagger/Vivi/Steiner

Zidane for the steals + required character (with exceptions).

Dagger for summon damage + white mage support. I'm not a fan of Eiko personally although she has the more useful trance (double white). 

Vivi for typical black mage nuke power. Also my favorite ff9 character.

Steiner for physical damage + spell sword abilities.

If I remember correctly, my main party was something like Djidane, Dagga, Bibi and Freyja but I switched it for Djidane, Eiko, Bibi and Steiner for tough bosses like Ozma.

I'm trying to resist buying the game right now because I have a massive backlog but it's becoming harder and harder each time I see a new post about the game. I might give up before tonight :P 

(I'm discovering the English names and it's just so weird to use them when I've referred to those characters in a different way for I don't know how many years, please bear with me v.v)

Edited by Myu

This very much comes down to how I want to play the game.

I'm surprised by the lack of Quinas here, and the hate of the character. :P

Quina is actually one of the strongest characters in the game, you just gotta know how to use Quina I guess. :)

Not only does Quina have the most HP and attack, but they have some devastating and OP blue magic. One of the best characters to use if you wanna level up quickly. Can heal your entire party for status ailments. Decent healer and can both use protect and shell on the party... Have some amazing abilities like auto-life. Aaaand can do 9999 damage against any enemies on, even on the lowest level you can get Quina, if you just know how. :P

18 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I haven't played this on the PS4, but I used the party suggested by the old Ozma guide on gamefaqs (Zidane, Eiko, Freya and Steiner), but never got the great damage promised by the Dragon Crest attack.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1