Your 4-Character Party

Matrim_Drasgen

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

This very much comes down to how I want to play the game.

I'm surprised by the lack of Quinas here, and the hate of the character. :P

Quina is actually one of the strongest characters in the game, you just gotta know how to use Quina I guess. :)

Not only does Quina have the most HP and attack, but they have some devastating and OP blue magic. One of the best characters to use if you wanna level up quickly. Can heal your entire party for status ailments. Decent healer and can both use protect and shell on the party... Have some amazing abilities like auto-life. Aaaand can do 9999 damage against any enemies on, even on the lowest level you can get Quina, if you just know how. :P

Haha, the first time I played this I literally just picked my 4 favorite characters. Strategy? What is this strategy?

My characters were still was the standard Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner (it never really changed). I could imagine myself switching Eiko for Dagger when I play this again, but I find it hard to take Vivi or Steiner off the team. The duo is just too much fun!

I didn't have a strategy guide or a solid Internet connection, so Quina was practically useless to me. I can see why people love or hate him/her.

This will be the first time I will actually beat the game. The last time I played this game was years ago (I got to 3rd disc), and I don't know any good "strategies". 

I like Steiner as a comic relief, but I don't like him enough to want him in my ultimate party. My favourite characters:

Zidane - Garnet - Vivi - Eiko/Freya

I'll just do the final boss, so it doesn't matter anyway. 

19 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I haven't played this on the PS4, but I used the party suggested by the old Ozma guide on gamefaqs (Zidane, Eiko, Freya and Steiner), but never got the great damage promised by the Dragon Crest attack.

The formula for Dragon's Crest's dmg is (No of Dragons killed)^2, so you haven't killed a lot in your play through.

15 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Oh, I killed a lot. By that formula, I should EASILY have been at 9999 damage. I must have killed 200+ grand dragons just raising levels.

Interesting, I'm not sure then...I even double checked the formula, and the enemy type of Grand Dragon to check... it should be doing 9999... o.O

Just now, Griffon234 said:

Interesting, I'm not sure then...I even double checked the formula, and the enemy type of Grand Dragon to check... it should be doing 9999... o.O

You know - this might be one of those things where in Japan, one formula was used, but in NA, another was used. I remember back in the day on FFVII, Chocobuckle was supposed to do damage equal to the square of your escapes. However, by the time it got here, it only did damage actually equal to your number of escapes (which made Chocobuckle completely useless, BTW).

By the way, I haven't played this version - I'm commenting solely on my experience on the PS1 release (day one, though I doubt that matters).

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

You know - this might be one of those things where in Japan, one formula was used, but in NA, another was used. I remember back in the day on FFVII, Chocobuckle was supposed to do damage equal to the square of your escapes. However, by the time it got here, it only did damage actually equal to your number of escapes (which made Chocobuckle completely useless, BTW).

By the way, I haven't played this version - I'm commenting solely on my experience on the PS1 release (day one, though I doubt that matters).

I'm speaking from experience of the version I played on my PSP back in the day... which was just a port of NA's PS1 version, no? This is strange. I even just booted up my PSP and my Dragon's Crest did 9999..

Just now, Griffon234 said:

I'm speaking from experience of the version I played on my PSP back in the day... which was just a port of NA's PS1 version, no? This is strange. I even just booted up my PSP and my Dragon's Crest did 9999..

Hmmm. Well, crap. I can't believe that I only killed around 15 grand dragons, because I was only getting damage in the 200s. xD

Ultimately, it was irrelevant, though. As I mentioned in another thread, Ozma is probably the easiest of the FF superbosses. With only 65000 HP or so, he falls quickly, even to a gimped Dragon Crest.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

Hmmm. Well, crap. I can't believe that I only killed around 15 grand dragons, because I was only getting damage in the 200s. xD

Ultimately, it was irrelevant, though. As I mentioned in another thread, Ozma is probably the easiest of the FF superbosses. With only 65000 HP or so, he falls quickly, even to a gimped Dragon Crest.

Haha, yeah it was irrelevant, but the math behind FF9's skills always intrigued me, which is why I was keen to get to the bottom of this. ^_^

On 22/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, MMDE said:

I'm surprised by the lack of Quinas here, and the hate of the character. :P

Quina is actually one of the strongest characters in the game, you just gotta know how to use Quina I guess. :)

Not only does Quina have the most HP and attack, but they have some devastating and OP blue magic. One of the best characters to use if you wanna level up quickly. Can heal your entire party for status ailments. Decent healer and can both use protect and shell on the party... Have some amazing abilities like auto-life. Aaaand can do 9999 damage against any enemies on, even on the lowest level you can get Quina, if you just know how. :P

Agreed, Quina is a very useful character if you know how to use her (him? it?), but is often treated as the worst which is unfair. Quina's blue magic is actually very powerful.

She doesn't have the most HP though, as Steiner, Zidane, Amarant and Freya have better stats without equipment modifiers.

Just now, marc_cp said:

Agreed, Quina is a very useful character if you know how to use her (him? it?), but is often treated as the worst which is unfair. Quina's blue magic is actually very powerful.

She doesn't have the most HP though, as Steiner, Zidane, Amarant and Freya have better stats without equipment modifiers.

Yeah, Quina doesn't have the most, I think I meant to say they were one of the characters with the most HP. They're not far off the most MP or Magic either. 

Their one big flaw is being the slowest character, even slower than Vivi.

My team has always been Zidane, Dagger, Vivi and steiner since playstation 1 :P

And the reason is very simple:
Zidane - is effective at stealing normal or rare items (if you have the master thief and bandit)
Dagger - for obvious reasons, it's a suicide not to have in the team, (although Eiko has almost the same skills) his eidolons are superior in GENERAL!
Vivi - Return magic is a point in his favor and probably my favorite skill, such as doomsday magic that is an authentic "end of the world"
Steiner - Climhazzard and Shock are 2 abilities that help and much to defeat any enemy (and already saved me from a "game over" several times)

My party since the original PSOne game is:

Zidane, because he's the protagonist and because Thievery.

Freya, because she's cool and has Dragon Crest

Dagger, because she's cute and someone has to heal

Quina, because s/he has Blu Mag and mainly Frog Drop.

I see only 9999 in my screen almost all the time during battles with that party.

• 1 month later...

For Final Battle/End Game... Used the first four characters:

Zidane - For stealing stuffs and Thievery

Vivi - Focus until Zidane finished Stealing then (Double)Cast Flare or Doomsday (just for fun)

Dagger - I find Eiko to have more useful White Magic than Dagger tbh but I love seeing her in Trance spamming Mega Flare :3

Steiner - Stock Break, Shock (and sometimes... Doomsday for fun)

Cause, why not end with how you started.

For Ozma, I used:

Zidane - well, no choice. I used him to steal stuffs. Also backup user of items in case Eiko can't.

Freya - for obvious reason: Dragon Crest. The only one dealing damage to Ozma for me.

Eiko - sure, Quina has Angel's Snack but I had to go with Eiko since the only status that I am worried is Mini and Berserk (for Freya). + She has Phoenix.

Amarant - well, I was planning to use him as another one to damage Ozma but I ended up him just use Aura.