What is a good build for pve?

Leaderboards

I know this question gets tossed around a lot on the internet, but I am not looking for some op build and I don't care for pvp. What I am looking for is a versatile build/weapon that will carry me through in achieving the plat.

In Bloodborne I used the Hunter Axe and Pizza Cutter and it was fun and effective.

In Demon's Souls, I used a Faith build with the Mirdan Hammer and it was awesome. I had passive hp regen and can stunlock most enemies.

But for Dark Souls I can't decide. I know about Giant Dad and that dude with his Darkmoon Blade enchanted falchion, but I don't know...looks boring.

Anyone have any recommendations? Leaning towards the Claymore for now, it has a great move set it seems with horizontal wide and vertical swings.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by TurdFlingingApe

I used a Strength/Dexterity build and had the Wanderer's armour set, Claymore, and Black Knight shield as the main equipment. The Claymore is a very versatile weapon and it can be buffed. Support equipment was a bow and some magic for weapon buffs and long range attacks. If you also have the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, you can get an awesome homing magic spell by trading the final boss' soul and also a pretty good sword from the optional dragon Kalameet if you manage to cut off the tail. Though this sword doesn't scale with stats and I eventually replaced it with the claymore. Platted the game with this setup and it was pretty decent during pvp.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I used a Strength/Dexterity build and had the Wanderer's armour set, Claymore, and Black Knight shield as the main equipment. The Claymore is a very versatile weapon and it can be buffed. Support equipment was a bow and some magic for weapon buffs and long range attacks. If you also have the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, you can get an awesome homing magic spell by trading the final boss' soul and also a pretty good sword from the optional dragon Kalameet. Though this sword doesn't scale with stats and I eventually replaced it with the claymore.

Thanks. Yeah I feel Claymore in this game is a good solid weapon. You are correct, black knight shield is a good shield. I think one of the Black Knight weapons are good, I think it was the Halberd, some pole or spear like weapon from the Black Knights, can't remember.

If you used a strength/dex build how were you able to use the homing magic spell you mentioned?

Just now, TurdFlingingApe said:

Thanks. Yeah I feel Claymore in this game is a good solid weapon. You are correct, black knight shield is a good shield. I think one of the Black Knight weapons are good, I think it was the Halberd, some pole or spear like weapon from the Black Knights, can't remember.

If you used a strength/dex build how were you able to use the homing magic spell you mentioned?

I also had another shield, but can't remember the name. IIRC it had stamina regen or some kind of good effect :hmm: . It's guarded by an undead dragon. If you go to Firelink Shrine, take the elevator below, go right, and open the door with the Master Key, you'll eventually find the dragon.

I invested some points in intelligence for Great Magic Weapon, so after obtaining the DLC spell, I just added some more points to it to be able to use the spell.

• Like 1

Really depends on what kind of weapons you want to use. Common combos are one-hand greatsword, sword+shield, spear+shield, bow (secondary), double katanas, katana+shield. Swords and shields generally favors strength, but you usually only gotta met the str requirements of a shield to really use shield, while if you want to do sword, axes or clubs etc, you invest in str. If you're into katanas, pyromancy, spears, bows (and even to some degree shield), you can go the dex route. There's good faith builds too.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention. When you go for shield, there's two types of shields. Parry shield and bash shield. Parry shield is usually less weight, worse defense, some have okay magic damage reduction, and they generally require less strength. Bash shields have better damage reduction and guard break reduction. Guard break reduction is basically how much stamina it costs to block an attack. Never go with a shield that doesn't even have 100 physical damage reduction, might as well go double katana or something. And yeah, scythe is dex build too. Spear + shield allows you to attack with shield up, but spears are pretty slow in Dark Souls.

There's also something to be said about damage type, but don't worry too much about it I guess.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Parry shield

IMAO parry not about PvE, hardly imagine use of it against any of bosses.

Also, what is always being lost for me in Dark Souls 1 - endurance, but not for stamina, but for carry weight. Hell big amount required for average medium armor sets, guess how much bigger you will need to carry a heavy armor with great sword.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

IMAO parry not about PvE, hardly imagine use of it against any of bosses.

Also, what is always being lost for me in Dark Souls 1 - endurance, but not for stamina, but for carry weight. Hell big amount required for average medium armor sets, guess how much bigger you will need to carry a heavy armor with great sword.

Parry is useful against a lot of enemies in PvE... though, you may as well circle around most of them. I explained the difference. :S Heavy armors etc is for those who plan on getting hit... That's a loser strategy IMO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Parry is useful against a lot of enemies in PvE... though, you may as well circle around most of them. I explained the difference. :S Heavy armors etc is for those who plan on getting hit... That's a loser strategy IMO.

I mean bosses.

I mean fashion souls, for the first. And if you playing melee knight it will be a miracle if you haven't even once. Not every one has born hero btw ?

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 1

Depends on if you want to get things done fast or not. If you want to just steam through the game get a BKH +5 with grass crest shieldand well that's pretty much gg from there, in DS1 halberds imo are the strongest weapon you can have. But if you're going for some out of the ordinary or just don't want to go down the bkh route you could stay with the claymore or bastard sword, katanas are also I fun weapon as is the great scythe, it ultimately comes down with how you want to experience the game that being easy mode or not. If you want the ultimate cheese get dark sorceries and those also plow through the game. Hope that helps mate!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, ModeOfAdam said:

Indeed. But my build was str/dex with Havel set+ring, Laur...%nevermind% ring, Black Knight Sword + shield, medium weight and i felt comfortable.

I played with cursed Greatsword of Artorias plus crossbow, dex, stamina and vitality. Eastern armor top, crimson gloves and mask of the Sealer and honestly I don't remember with pants. This actually worked with PvE(I didn't tested, for lonely walkthroughs) and PvP. IMAO Havel set is a tank build, not much PvE, universal.