Do you think Sony will implement Gaikai for PS4?

Undrey

What on earth are you talking about?

Edit, and as posted by Gaikai.com,

And while we think all of that is pretty cool, we're not done yet. As a new member of the Sony Computer Entertainment family, we're working even harder to ensure the world's best entertainment content is delivered instantly to you, no matter where you are in the world.

Edited by MarkGibbons

A report by IGN says they will here is the article

http://www.ign.com/a...social-networks

Last week, we told you about a Wall Street Journal report that indicated PlayStation 4 will stream games, at least in the form of PlayStation 3 titles. Today, the Wall Street Journalhas more to say about that, as well as PS4’s pronounced interactivity with social networks.

In terms of Gaikai, WSJ says this:

Since the acquisition [of Gaikai in July of 2012 for $380 million], Sony has been investing heavily to prepare Gaikai’s technology to enhance its new console, the people familiar with Sony’s plans said. Sony has been preparing the technology to be used to allow users to play current PlayStation 3 games on the device, making a broader array of titles available at the outset, these people said. The new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

This is in line with what we heard about a few days ago, except it basically confirms what we had already assumed: the major purchase of Gaikai was executed specifically to “enhance” the PlayStation 4 (or whatever Sony’s next PlayStation will be called).

But there’s more interesting news. Wall Street Journal’s sources indicate that PS4 will interact heavily with social services, and will allow direct video upload to YouTube, straight from the console. You may even be able to "compete" with players on other hardware, though what that specifically means remains to be seen.

The new PlayStation also will allow players to share achievements on social networks through smoother links to Facebook or Twitter, while also enabling aspects such as sharing footage of game play online through YouTube, people familiar with Sony’s plans said. Sony’s new console may also allow users to compete against others using different hardware, such as smartphones and other portable devices, those people said.

Interestingly, WSJ notes that Microsoft -- Sony’s competitor in the next-gen console gaming space -- is taking a different tact.

Microsoft, while it has tested cloud gaming, is putting greater emphasis on software that allows the Xbox to interact with mobile devices like Apple’s iPad. The company is also planning to create new interactive TV content to be played on its consoles, after opening up a new production studio in Southern California.

The expected reveal of PlayStation 4 will occur on Wednesday, February 20th in New York City. IGN will be in attendance, and you can watch our full PS4 reveal live stream to get in on the action before, during and after the event.

Honestly I think it's too smart of a decision to do for Sony, they've f'ed up many times, this won't be any different.

Discuss.

Do you have any sources to back up that they won't? So far, from all the early reports it definitely seems that Sony will have some sort of streaming implemented with the PS4.

Also, as a personal note, comments like "they've f'ed up many times, this won't be any different" aren't needed nor wanted on this forum. If you think ill of Sony that's all fine and dandy and no one is going to try and stop you from posting anything, but you can do it in a much more mature manner than that. Right now it seems like it's just bait to try and get people to argue. Worded a little different, something like, "Personally, I think Sony has made quite a few poor decisions lately, so I don't think they will support it" sound much better and doesn't seem like you're trying to argue. Just a little tip.

Parker

I'm not taking some WSJ as an gaming source, they are an BUSINESS SOURCE. Anyhow I'd wait til Wednesday and find out what's there for Gaikai is and how it fits into the PS4 plans. So wait til than and calm down and to the OP there been more mistakes by other gaming companies for instance the Wii U.

Way back when Sony bought Galkai (around last E3), they hinted that that might be how they will do backwards compatibility, although I personally don't see how they'll go about not alienating people without great connections (I believe this has been brought up many times before, but I know not everyone has high speed internet/etc)

Do you have any sources to back up that they won't? So far, from all the early reports it definitely seems that Sony will have some sort of streaming implemented with the PS4.

Also, as a personal note, comments like "they've f'ed up many times, this won't be any different" aren't needed nor wanted on this forum. If you think ill of Sony that's all fine and dandy and no one is going to try and stop you from posting anything, but you can do it in a much more mature manner than that. Right now it seems like it's just bait to try and get people to argue. Worded a little different, something like, "Personally, I think Sony has made quite a few poor decisions lately, so I don't think they will support it" sound much better and doesn't seem like you're trying to argue. Just a little tip.

Parker

Why'd I think ill of Sony? They've made mistakes before, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if they don't incorporate Gaikai in PS4, not at launch anyway, pretty sure it will be used in some way in the future.

That would be pointless in many countries.

First my download speed is ~500kbps (when I'm lucky), I'd never be able to play anything like that with good image quality and fluidity.

Second that would require being always online, and the psn is renowned for his many DNS errors, not to talk about ISP random problems and band saturation caused by the increase of users streaming something.

TL;DR

Too soon for a large portion of the world.

• Like 1

I don't think it will need that much internet, Vita currently has remote play and it works wonders, and the internet isn't really fast here, there is some lag sometimes when there are huge explosions or just too many pixels, but other than that it's great. (talking about playing God of War)