Are figurines required?

IntroPhenom

All of the Skylanders platinums are made so that you can get them with just the base set of figures that comes with the game. For this one the only figure that you actually need is one of the giants because there are several trophies specifically for them.

Just keep in mind that there's also a trophy for beating nightmare mode. Your figures act as lives, so if they get beaten in that level, you can't use them anymore. Beating everything on nightmare with just one figure would not be easy or very fun. I would definitely recommend at least buying the base set. It won't be a problem to find it cheap if you want it, I've seen them go for under ten dollars new. All of the older Skylanders from the first two series can be found super cheap at this point and you can use them in the newer games too. If you plan on playing all of the games at some point then it might be worth picking up a few that you like. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

All of the Skylanders platinums are made so that you can get them with just the base set of figures that comes with the game. For this one the only figure that you actually need is one of the giants because there are several trophies specifically for them.

Just keep in mind that there's also a trophy for beating nightmare mode. Your figures act as lives, so if they get beaten in that level, you can't use them anymore. Beating everything on nightmare with just one figure would not be easy or very fun. I would definitely recommend at least buying the base set. It won't be a problem to find it cheap if you want it, I've seen them go for under ten dollars new. All of the older Skylanders from the first two series can be found super cheap at this point and you can use them in the newer games too. If you plan on playing all of the games at some point then it might be worth picking up a few that you like. 

Good to know, thanks.

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old thread but for any newcomers looking for info I figured I’d give some advice. Get a lot of skylanders for the nightmare run through. I just got the platinum and thought I was good with 10, but ended up having to pull another 12 out of a box to get through the last 5 levels. Make sure you have at least 1 level 15, I used Spyro as he can run and shoot from a distance. I recommend drobot, camo, terrafin, cynder, sonic boom and a mix of other types to take advantage of the elemental bonuses. I’d also advise getting weapons like the catapult or ghost pirate swords as they will help out a lot. Having a small variety of figures also helps to unlock the other areas and get some of the better hats, as well as unlock heroic challenges to boost stats if you’d rather grind that out with less figures. I’d also recommend you buy them used instead of getting new ones because they will more likely have experience and money on them.

Edited by coolalright
Forgot sentence

I agreed to all of what you said. Coolalright. I will add that this is a fun game and not that hard but it has some challenges. 

I played the first 4 chapters on nightmare without dying with my level 15 drobot,but it's hard. One needs to play carefully. 

I am planning for the platinum today and I have a ton of skylanders. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the nightmare run.