Any tracking for the 10000 kills?

Kapika96

I was just wondering if there's any tracking for the total number of kills. I know some of the FF games do track stats like that (albeit in odd places) but can't remember if this is one of them.

I mean, a long grind is bad enough, but not even knowing how far through the grind you are just makes it worse! :P

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Negative, no kill stat tracker for IX unless you do it manually. Good news is 10,000 kills in an RPG is not that bad and won't be too grindy. Probably get it around Disc 3 unless you are rushing or using the 'no encounter' boost.

I think you're severely underestimating how many enemies 10,000 kills is. I'm turbo-ing with Steiner and the Blood Sword after the birdcage and on average, with the battle loading, killing the two soldiers, then the menu screen, you get two kills every 14 seconds. Let's call that 8 enemies per minute, which is 480 per hour. 480 into 10,000 is 21 hours of PURE killing, as fast as possible. Add to that not having a turbo controller and having to run around in circles to spawn enemies rather than have them come to you, you're looking at much longer than that even if you regularly spawn 3 or 4-numbered enemies.

It barely takes 21 hours to complete the story...

At least this should keep the Plat Ultra Rare!

Edited by Darth_Krid
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

Negative, no kill stat tracker for IX unless you do it manually. Good news is 10,000 kills in an RPG is not that bad and won't be too grindy. Probably get it around Disc 3 unless you are rushing or using the 'no encounter' boost.

Defeating 10.000 enemies will definitely take a lot of time. This is not a trophy that will come naturally while playing. 

29 minutes ago, Darth_Krid said:

I think you're severely underestimating how many enemies 10,000 kills is. I'm turbo-ing with Steiner and the Blood Sword after the birdcage and on average, with the battle loading, killing the two soldiers, then the menu screen, you get two kills every 14 second. Let's call that 8 enemies per minute, which is 480 per hour. 480 into 10,000 is 21 hours of PURE killing, as fast as possible. Add to that not having a turbo controller and having to run around in circles to spawn enemies rather than have them come to you, you're looking at much longer than that even if you regularly spawn 3 or 4-numbered enemies.

The 1k skips keeps it ultra rare, which also prevents save file users. ;) 

But if you play the game normally and do a bit of extra grinding here and there throughout the story, and you'll easily accumulate some few thousand kills I think. Still some grind left after that though.

Along with Excalibur II, this will make it so many people don't bother go for the plat I think, which will make it rarer. :) 

Just now, MMDE said:

The 1k skips keeps it ultra rare, which also prevents save file users. ;) 

But if you play the game normally and do a bit of extra grinding here and there throughout the story, and you'll easily accumulate some few thousand kills I think. Still some grind left after that though.

Along with Excalibur II, this will make it so many people don't bother go for the plat I think, which will make it rarer. :) 

Well well well...long time no see!

You can grind it out later for sure, Gizmaluke's Grotto probably gives you the most chance of encountering 4 enemies at once. But still, that's a long time running around and manually battling. No chance you'll get 10,000 'naturally' is what I'm saying.

Excalibur II is simple with the boosts; you can probably get there in 5 hours.

6 minutes ago, Darth_Krid said:

Well well well...long time no see!

You can grind it out later for sure, Gizmaluke's Grotto probably gives you the most chance of encountering 4 enemies at once. But still, that's a long time running around and manually battling. No chance you'll get 10,000 'naturally' is what I'm saying.

Excalibur II is simple with the boosts; you can probably get there in 5 hours.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. :P Just wanted to point out two things.

1. Some of the 10k grind will come naturally if you play normally, but you're completely right, you'll have to grind for some 10 hours extra. It's completely unrealistic to get it naturally, even less by disc 3. :D
  2. Other factors that will make the plat rarer. I do think Excalibur II playthrough will make the plat rarer. I don't see most people do E2 in 5 hours, and I also don't see many people caring to waste some 7-10 hours extra on playing through the game again for one trophy. The way E2 is now, it's just some 7-10 hours waste of time. There'll be little thought put into it, no strategy etc. :(

I honestly can't remember what is the max amount of enemies you can meet in a random encounter in FFIX.

Edited by MMDE

12 hours ago, Darth_Krid said:

I think you're severely underestimating how many enemies 10,000 kills is. I'm turbo-ing with Steiner and the Blood Sword after the birdcage and on average, with the battle loading, killing the two soldiers, then the menu screen, you get two kills every 14 seconds. Let's call that 8 enemies per minute, which is 480 per hour. 480 into 10,000 is 21 hours of PURE killing, as fast as possible. Add to that not having a turbo controller and having to run around in circles to spawn enemies rather than have them come to you, you're looking at much longer than that even if you regularly spawn 3 or 4-numbered enemies.

Not underestimating anything. Traditionally, most people sink 40+ hours into an RPG. Yes you can rush IX especially with the 3X Boost and get it done much faster and yes if you do it that way you are in a world of hurt. If you take your time and play the game at a more reasonable normal pace, it is not that big of a grind nor will it take you all game to do it. 

12 hours ago, Myu said:

Defeating 10.000 enemies will definitely take a lot of time. This is not a trophy that will come naturally while playing. 

I wholeheartedly disagree. It is a very natural. I have been keeping track of my kills, little over 1400 at 10 hours and I am almost to the Boss fight in the Grotto. I also haven't been grinding as much as I normally do because I know the game and am pushing to get to Treno quicker then normal. It will come naturally, with small grind pockets here and there that you need to do to get your level up, learn abilities, earn Gil etc.

12 hours ago, MMDE said:

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. :P Just wanted to point out two things.

1. Some of the 10k grind will come naturally if you play normally, but you're completely right, you'll have to grind for some 10 hours extra. It's completely unrealistic to get it naturally, even less by disc 3. :D
  2. Other factors that will make the plat rarer. I do think Excalibur II playthrough will make the plat rarer. I don't see most people do E2 in 5 hours, and I also don't see many people caring to waste some 7-10 hours extra on playing through the game again for one trophy. The way E2 is now, it's just some 7-10 hours waste of time. There'll be little thought put into it, no strategy etc. :(

I honestly can't remember what is the max amount of enemies you can meet in a random encounter in FFIX.

Not by Disc 3, during Disc 3. Easily. Natrural play, no rush, taken time out to do the side quests like running to Chocobo's Forest instead of straight to the Grotto and the such. I believe it is 4, though there might be some very rare 5 enemies in an encounter. Has been quite time since I played so not a 100% on that part.

I stand by all the way 10,000 kills is not that grindy for an RPG and definitely not for FFIX.

• Like 1

Well I finally got the trophy after 22 hours of solid grinding with a turbo controller, leaving my PS4 running.

If anyone got that naturally I'd be amazed. There's a reason it's still the rarest trophy with only 5 earners despite many finishing the game and getting all the sidequests done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darth_Krid said:

Well I finally got the trophy after 22 hours of solid grinding with a turbo controller, leaving my PS4 running.

If anyone got that naturally I'd be amazed. There's a reason it's still the rarest trophy with only 5 earners despite many finishing the game and getting all the sidequests done.

22 hours? Blimey! How far into the game were you? I'm basically a few feet from the final boss but left to do the grind.

Also, where did you grind? I'm in Gizamlaluke.. Most of the time enemies come in 3 or 4s.

Just now, Meacham said:

22 hours? Blimey! How far into the game were you? I'm basically a few feet from the final boss but left to do the grind.

Also, where did you grind? I'm in Gizamlaluke.. Most of the time enemies come in 3 or 4s.

I mentioned it above, during the Steiner/Marcus bit where enemies come directly to you so you don't have to move around with the stick and can idle it.

Just now, Darth_Krid said:

I mentioned it above, during the Steiner/Marcus bit where enemies come directly to you so you don't have to move around with the stick and can idle it.

Oh sorry, just read the recent post. Yeah probably the best solution actually if you want it done early-ish.. I thought you were pre-finale so I was dreading my next few hours of grinding. :P

Just now, Elvick_ said:

lol, what drugs are you on? This won't be the trophy to do that, it'll be the jump rope.

Compare the number of earners already. Practicing and completing jump rope takes far less time than grinding this does.

Plus, I have no doubt that someone will develop some sort of cheese script for this along the line and make it a joke.

1 minute ago, Elvick_ said:

lol, what drugs are you on? This won't be the trophy to do that, it'll be the jump rope.

While you're right about the jump rope one, you're gonna be surprised how many won't do this one either, especially since they can't do the jump rope one. :P 

1 hour ago, Darth_Krid said:

Compare the number of earners already. Practicing and completing jump rope takes far less time than grinding this does.

Plus, I have no doubt that someone will develop some sort of cheese script for this along the line and make it a joke.

You explained why one is higher than the other yourself. So... :/

If you think people are going to do the jump rope but not grind this out and thus "keep them from platting the game" then lol. Anyone that will be turned off by a grind, will probably also not do the jump rope. But it'll take these people longer to get through the grind, you admit this yourself, than it took them to practice and get good at the jump rope.

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

While you're right about the jump rope one, you're gonna be surprised how many won't do this one either, especially since they can't do the jump rope one. :P 

I have no doubt this trophy will be passed over a lot as well, but I think most people will probably skip over jump rope. Where as if they do stick around for the jump rope, solely for a trophy since there's no real reason to do it otherwise, then they'll also grind this out.

5 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

You explained why one is higher than the other yourself. So... :/

If you think people are going to do the jump rope but not grind this out and thus "keep them from platting the game" then lol. Anyone that will be turned off by a grind, will probably also not do the jump rope. But it'll take these people longer to get through the grind, you admit this yourself, than it took them to practice and get good at the jump rope.

I have no doubt this trophy will be passed over a lot as well, but I think most people will probably skip over jump rope. Where as if they do stick around for the jump rope, solely for a trophy since there's no real reason to do it otherwise, then they'll also grind this out.

You're putting words in my mouth, there's no need for hostility. My point was that I think Bloodlust will remain the rarest trophy in the game (bar the Plat, obviously) as opposed to Hail To The King. Obviously most trophy hunters will do both as there's no point grinding one without the other.

To be honest, a lot of the trophies have to be set up early on and if you're a casual who's looking for a blast in the past and don't know much about the game, you'll miss a lot of the trophies anyway. 

Jump rope is all about finding your own rhythym.

10,000 kills will take a while. I've done the majority of the game, only the end boss to finish. Grinded for 99 against the yans. Never skipped a fight or had the no encounter cheat on, grinded for the past 4-5 hours in the grotto and I can't even tell if I'm close or not.

Getting the beak to 99 could be a chore to some people.

Frogs and that 99th "scene"

Ultimates quite hard to find in the final dungeon.

So sure if people don't set themselves up it could be UR not just for this trophy and skipping. Even missing an ATE which I have when I thought I had them all

Edited by Meacham

3 hours ago, Meacham said:

To be honest, a lot of the trophies have to be set up early on and if you're a casual who's looking for a blast in the past and don't know much about the game, you'll miss a lot of the trophies anyway. 

Jump rope is all about finding your own rhythym.

10,000 kills will take a while. I've done the majority of the game, only the end boss to finish. Grinded for 99 against the yans. Never skipped a fight or had the no encounter cheat on, grinded for the past 4-5 hours in the grotto and I can't even tell if I'm close or not.

Getting the beak to 99 could be a chore to some people.

Frogs and that 99th "scene"

Ultimates quite hard to find in the final dungeon.

So sure if people don't set themselves up it could be UR not just for this trophy and skipping. Even missing an ATE which I have when I thought I had them all

I think I know which ones you missed. It's when you go to Treno with Steiner/Marcus/Garnet for the first time. If you go to the Knight's House before doing all the ATE's except the one where Garner sees Kuja in the Auction House, they get locked out. You had to avoid going through the card stadium and take a stupid route through Treno's slums to get to the gate of Treno for one of the ATE. Not to mention there's another ATE when Dr. Tot unlocks Gargan Roo, which you have to not progress, and leave Dr. Tot's house to see the ATE of Cinna getting belted by Baku BEFORE entering Gargan Roo.

• Like 1