Hail to the King tip

dargon_lover

9 minutes ago, TheLakota said:

This thread is serious business. 

I know, right? It's like...MAN, BUMMER NOW.

34 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Read the full paragraph, it helps.

"to obtain an unfair advantage"

"that circumvent security features or limitations"

To be fair, Sony's grammar is pretty poor here. With the use of the conjunction "or", the dependent clause "that circumvent security features or limitations" really only applies to the plural noun of "devices". Since "cheat code" is singular, that clause shouldn't apply. 

Long story short - they should either have said "cheat codes or devices" or said "cheat code and devices". This is why grammar nazis play such a vital role in the online ecosystem!

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Read the full paragraph, it helps.

"to obtain an unfair advantage"

"that circumvent security features or limitations"

They're two sentences, and I did read all of them. In a MP game, or a game with a MP mode, unfair advantage is pretty self explanatory, but in a single player game? And circumventing security features is again very self explanatory, but circumventing limitations in what way? Circumventing the limits of a players skill, or circumventing the limits put into a game such as time limits, health or lives, or all of the above?

Mainly I just thought it was weird that cheat codes were specifically mentioned within the ToS as a no-no when they've been such an established part of gaming almost since it's inception.

EDIT: Starcrunch to the rescue!

Edited by Hemming87

18 hours ago, mannenntmichjens said:

The good thing about arguments like that one right here is that it will be forgotten in a few days :P

I don't know dude, I'm really split on it. After reading about this script I considered it and thought about it. I love FF9, probably my favorite game of all time. I was looking forward to completing it on PS4, but this trophy is something else. I never did it because the ingame reward is pretty shitty, so I have no clue if I would have had the skill on PS1 :P On PS4 I can't switch my controller to USB communication and my TV probably isn't a positive factor, so I don't know if I'll even have a fair shot at this minigame (I didn't try much so far, so I have no clue :P. I will definitely try though). Leaving something behind would be slightly annoying, but practicing it will be a chore. And so I feel kinda stuck in the middle. Really wanting to complete this list for a special game, but REALLY disliking this minigame and not really feeling like cheating it (yes, definitely cheating).

I guess this game puts a lot of people onto this crossroad and I can relate to both sides. A lot of people like this game so much that completing it would be kind of a special thing for them. And like me (if I won't be able to do it) I won't be happy with the reason, why I can't complete this list; this minigame just went completely overboard with it's port issues and 1000 jumps (even 500 would be stretching it for me) and I wouldn't treasure the memories of my hours constantly tapping X to jump over a rope. I would feel cheated out of the platinum, although I know that it doesn't make any sense. But it would definitely leave a slightly bad taste once I finish everything else and move on.

So I ultimately decided against cheating it. It would set a precedent for my trophy list / gaming- and achievement - attitude I wouldn't like personally. I probably won't be capable of doing it and so it shall be. If I brute force everything with external help from now on it would change my completionist habit for the worse and I wouldn't think back positively about this game, so I will ignore this trophy because that would destroy the whole purpose of this game for me. But if someone does that for appreciation of the game as a whole and not just for leaderboards or fake bragging rights . . . I wouldn't judge it. I think some people should learn to let things be, but I can at least understand the urge to bend the rules :P 

Despite this being the only topic which we talk about atm.... this felt like offtopic-post of the month :P

you are a voice of clairvoyance in this messy messy thread ;) 

Edited by LycanHero
  • Like 2

Took me a little less than 10 hours to get. I wanted to post some tips while it is fresh in my mind, specifically on the change to the heartbeat pattern at 200 (see number 3 and 4 below).

I used a mixture of above methods. I only used listening for the steps, no visual cues besides watching the step counter. The presses are on the sound of feet hitting the ground. I did use a headset and had all sound go through it, I turned off background music, and I was able to do it without being directly wired to the PS4. I held the controller with my left thumb pressing the square button and my right the X button and would alternate presses. My left palm grabbed around the middle of the controller. I found my right arm started to feel uncomfortable and using two hands helped my right hand from feeling tired. Reading tips in this thread and watching Youtube videos helped get me used to the transition to the 200s beat pattern and also the change from the heartbeat pattern to the steady 300 upwards pattern.

1. I recommend using a one-two count on the steps. I wasn't able to get more than 100 consistently because I would miss the time change. By keeping track (going one-two under my breath) and looking at the counter, I would know exactly when the beat would change and that helped me get to 200 consistently. For how I did it, I started the very first jump with square, and jump two would be X. I would usually watch the counter from 10 before the time change so I would know how many more sets of two were left.

2. The speed changes (20, 50, 100, 300) are not very drastic. As long as you are counting, you will know when to speed up a little bit. If counting, the beat changes after you hit the button for the next step. So step 21 would feel the same, but 22 would have the new faster beat. Just try it on the first speed change at 20 steps and the timing for the beat change should make sense. The beat from 300 upwards stays steady until you feel like stopping.

3. The time change to 200 will be the toughest thing to master and is what took the longest for me. As others have said, it is a heart beat pattern (X, slight pause, X, X, slight pause...) When changing to the new beat, the slight pause is actually a shorter pause than the gap between the beats in 100-200. I recommend hitting the button for jump 202 slightly faster than you think you should. I didn't listen for the next step sound as I found myself being late each time. (Doing it my way (Left hand square, right hand X), Jump 201 would be a square tap, slight pause, X, Square. I also switched to making a noise for the first couple sets of two before settling back into a one-two count)

Lastly, the SHORT pause is between jumps 201 and 202. I saw some confusion about this.

4. When using the sound for the 200s, I felt the I needed to be on top of the beat. This meant nearly hitting the button in anticipation of the next set of two. The correct time for the button press is on the sound, but it is easy to fall behind unless pushing the tempo. This may be because I was not directly wired to the PS4, but only newer controllers seem to have that feature.

5. I mostly kept my eyes closed, but you will need to look for when the beat will change. The change from heartbeat pattern to the steady 300s and onwards didn't throw me off. I knew when I saw the step go to 299-300 that the next beat would be steady and was able to adjust. Watching youtube videos and practicing along helped here as well. It took me my third try into the 300s to succeed in getting to 1000. (My totals over 300 were 305, 497, and 1014 so I did not need to do it too many times) 

Just some final tips. I tended to sway a little bit, back and forth, to the beat. This helped me. After doing 1-200 enough times, I never needed to keep my eyes closed, but I found it helped. I opened my eyes a total of 4 times after 300 on my successful run.

Also, a quick note on counting the steps. The step counter is about half a step behind the actual step you are on. So you'll be pressing for jump 101, but the counter will turn to 100 while you are pressing 101. It makes sense, but until I was counting steps, it threw me off.

I hope the above helps and feel free to ask any questions or for help clarifying anything I said.

TL;DR Used sound, count steps for the time changes, press quicker than you think between jumps 201 and 202

• Like 3

On 10/9/2017 at 9:09 PM, phoenix_shade said:

Well Kudo s to you OP, i dont get how this is 7 percent complete when i cant even get to 100 without my thumb getting numb. 12 tries? Are you some kind of robot?

I have lots of hand eye coordination/timing practice from playing games like DDR/ITG/Stepmania/Super Meat Boy. xD

On 10/10/2017 at 3:09 AM, phoenix_shade said:

Well Kudo s to you OP, i dont get how this is 7 percent complete when i cant even get to 100 without my thumb getting numb. 12 tries? Are you some kind of robot?

It is 7 per cent complete because a lot of players are cheating to earn it. In normal conditions this would be the rarest trophy, maybe second after Bloodlust.

• 1 month later...

557321FF9.jpg

Oh God, i did it!!! I'm still at the beginning of the game and i did want this trophy before moving on! So after 5h, there it is!!

Thanks for all the tips and i just want to say, stay focus and you will get it! i've closed my eyes all the time and it worked perfectly!

There is a screen with my timer!

975516Ff9Time.jpg

Edited by PillsOfDarkness
Add new screen

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I loved FF9 as a kid and I really want to have this platinum. Probably a dumb question, but if I'm really good at rhythm games (Rock Band, Amplitude, Beat Saber, etc.), do I have a shot at this? I hear a lot of people talk about memorizing a beat and using sound as a guide, so I think I can do it, but I'm hoping someone else who is good at rhythm games can tell me if the skill transfer helped at all. 

17 hours ago, iamthedotcom said:

I loved FF9 as a kid and I really want to have this platinum. Probably a dumb question, but if I'm really good at rhythm games (Rock Band, Amplitude, Beat Saber, etc.), do I have a shot at this? I hear a lot of people talk about memorizing a beat and using sound as a guide, so I think I can do it, but I'm hoping someone else who is good at rhythm games can tell me if the skill transfer helped at all. 

It is very hard, regardless. Especially the transition from 200 to 201 jumps because there the pattern changes, and then changes back again at 301 jumps. You have a shot at it for sure, but it still will take quite a bit of practice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i wrote a little guide on how to clear this legit...just kinda forgot where i posted it...it took me 4hrs, i was a noob, and i suck at games in general and i have almost no rhythm game experience. so no you dont need rhythm game experience to clear this. i had more trouble with the nero brothers minigame to be honest

EDIT: found it...i really aplogise for my wall of text though. i really suck at concise writing and i just wrote my train of though at the time really, most ppl probably wont read it but i hope it helps at least 1 person maybe or gives them good ideas

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/final-fantasy-ix/327197-tips-legit-hail-king-trophy-4-n00bs.html

didnt use a script for this jump rope thing bc it's a skill based trophy and i dont cheat those. also it's just not as hard as ppl make it out to be. if i recall correctly the only trouble was getting the first 300 jumps or was it 400? and then after that you will pretty much overshoot 1000 easily. the patterns are always the same so all you need is memorisation and just keep trying. that very fact is why use of scripts is even possible to begin with. if the tempo changes were random then absolutely this would be a hard minigame. but no.

but i will admit to using my Hori Pad FPS Plus's turbo feature to automate X presses and left it on overnight to get the 10k kills so my plat isnt exactly clean either...i just hate unnecessary grinding like that and the combat in this title sucks, but i still feel kinda bad about it. using turbo is cheating, is it not? i only use it during these mindless mash 1 button for ten hour grinds though and not for actual gameplay. the controller is an Officially Licensed by Sony product though so i wonder if use of this feature is actually cheating or not, im confused

Edited by MeteoraXV

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I played it way back on PS1 (twice), then again on PSP and one last time on PS3, I wanted to play it again with ingame cheats for the trophies and the good memories, but as a working father who cannot spend 14 hours trying to master a minigame, I guess I'll pass on this game for the time being. Maybe later I'll give it a try.

• 5 months later...

Just got past the 200-300 purgatory and am gonna write this while I take a break ???

Here are my tips, many of which were given by others before me:

-Turn music off and focus on the sound of Vivi/Eiko's steps to go from 1-200

-You have to either count yourself or keep looking at the counter to get used to the speed transitions, especially the one at 200. I felt like I messed up too much when I kept looking so I started counting myself with my eyes closed for 1-200, and now I have like a 85% success rate of getting to at least 200. My counting method goes like this: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-20-1-2-3... (basically I counted 1-9 over again just switching the 10's slot to the true number. past 100 I did the same thing and just mentally took note of which 100's digit I'm in)

-Side note on the counter: start your count at 2 with the first sound of feet hitting the floor, it lines up with all but the 200 transition, which you'll have to practice plenty anyway

-I've tried controller plugged in and wireless, doesn't change anything from what I can tell (maybe if you have lots of bluetooth devices around then plugged-in would be better)

-I thought Eiko's arm swinging up was the best indicator for 200-300, I tried step sound, her feet hitting the ground, and the counter and they all didn't work for me (Vivi's arm worked, but it wasn't as easy to use as Eiko's imo). So at 170-180 I open my eyes, taking some time to get adjusted to my sight again, then start focusing on her arm moving up as my indicator.

-After 300, I think sound will work best again so I'll probably close my eyes after getting used to the tempo for 300-1000.

-My first few runs of each session were the best, so practicing in 30 minute to 1 hour increments is probably ideal after you start hitting a wall

Hopefully I get 1000 soon so I can do my speedrun and get back to the rest of this fantastic game!

Edited by XxViPeRsXx

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...