Hail to the King tip

dargon_lover

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from some toxic people who derailed the thread, I thank everyone for their tips. Despite lots of toxicity there have also been good people sharing important useful info for this horrible trophy.

I don't think I will discover anything new after over 15h of practice/attempts, I will just keep going with the methods I found most reliable for me until I succeed, and share them as well right now.

I am one of the worst gamer in anything that involves rythm, I can't even tell if I was either too quick or too slow whenever I fail. My main struggles are:

• the rythm during the 202-300 part, not really the double tap but the slight pause between the double tap parts. Unlike the other parts, where I know I shall press as the "tum" happens, here the sound has only the purpose to indicate the rythm.
  • after the 300, it still does not represent a free win for me. My best was over 600 twice.

I have 2 methods I have been using so far. Remap X to square, turn off music and use headphones are the things I always do. Cover the screen apart from the counter does not really help me, neither it does to play wired.

1) "relaxed mode", self counting. Basically, I lay on my bed, with my ds4 and headphones, then close my eyes and begin. I tend to mess with the second jump sometimes, but after that I can usually go over 100, and sometimes over 200. The main problem is, of course, keeping the count. It takes some attempts to get used to it, I'd always count as "1,2,3,4...8,9,10,1,2...8,9,20..." and so on. I should also say that I haven't any problem with the transitions (even the 199-202, I just know that after the 200, the next sequence gets to the double tap, I don't know why this part seems to be difficult for people), it's just about keeping the rythm the real struggle. This is the method that brought me to over 600 twice as well. However I have to feel at least a bit tired so that lying on my bed is indeed relaxing. If I'm full of energy this does not work. I think i can bring the large TV from my living room next to my bed so I don't really need to count, I may try that sometimes

2) the other method i use is to stay on my chair, without looking at the TV. After all this time, I don't even need to count nor watch the counter until before 200 as I can quickly adjust my speed. I don't watch the TV unless I'm over 100 after some time, just to know when the 200th jump happens. The downside of the method is that i really hate this situation where I do absolutely nothing rather than keeping the rythm. So, since I'm very used to multi-task I also do something else in the meantime, preferably reading or watching something that does not require any big attention.

Something that nobody mentioned: if you try the minigame from the beginning of the game, there is a background noise which you can't turn off. When I use my headphones, no matter which one, this noise is pretty strong and I found it pretty annoying. I tried to ignore it, but at some point I always ended up in focusing on it for an instant and then to compromise the rythm. Instead, if you try the minigame much later, it is located inside the church where that background sound is gone, so all what you hear is the "tum" sound.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 2

On 30/1/2022 at 2:27 PM, D-E-U-S-X said:

My tip is to change the :cross: to :up:,:down:,:left: or:right:. Feels better than the buttons. I turned the controller upright to continue pressing with the right hand. 

Good to see people still trying the hard way. Good luck!

Thanks but I already know that it can't work for me (EDIT: I'm glad I was wrong lol). That reminds me playing Crypt of the Necrodancer with the dpad which is awful already, not to mention I always play with the stick (even platform games), so the dpad is something I pretty much never use. I tried for a bit with the R1/L1 buttons but I didn't like that. The Square button works great though.

Edited by VirtualNight
  • Like 1

Thanks @D-E-U-S-X for the dpad suggestion. I didn't consider that the dpad does not do the "click" sound like the face button, which I could hear from the square button while doing the jumps from 300 (which was a way to mess up). Today i got over 1000 within 30 minutes of attempts with the right dpad.

I will add one last thing that have helped me a lot for 202-300: during that part I decided to just look at my finger while manually counting. Although it greatly depends from how you press the jump button, I used my finger as reference to find the correct timing between the double tap parts, in fact after the second tap, my index, used for jumping, would be pushed upwards from the button (obviously), at the peak of that ascension I'd wait something like 5-10 frames and then double tap again. This made me very consistent to go past 300.

Finally I can continue enjoying the Final Fantasy serie, what a beautiful game.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 6:23 AM, VirtualNight said:

Finally I can continue enjoying the Final Fantasy serie, what a beautiful game.

Congrats, on doing it legit.  It is definitely a painful experience to go for this trophy.  I think I spent around 20 hours doing just this trophy when FFIX first came out on PS4.  I did it with Vivi at the start of the game and basically just found the exact pixel that Vivi's hand crossed that I needed to hit X on to guarantee a successful jump for all single jump patterns.  Most of my failures were in the 200-300 range as well.  The thing that got me through that section was just laying the controller on a flat surface and tapping with my index fingers in the same tempo as the double dutch movement.  One index finger tapped X then the other would tap Square not too long after.  After I started that method I was able to get past that section in a few attempts and get to the single jumps again where I could go back to just hitting X every time Vivi's hand crossed a certain pixel near the apex of his jump and never missed a beat.

Maybe my strategy will help some people in the future if anyone else has the patience or desire to go through it this way.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 4:38 AM, VirtualNight said:

Apart from some toxic people who derailed the thread, I thank everyone for their tips. Despite lots of toxicity there have also been good people sharing important useful info for this horrible trophy.

You're far above average skill level my man. You have some pretty brutal games on your list, including a few where I'm afraid to even start playing if I wanted a serious challenge.

The trophy rarity for this particular trophy is extremely off. I'm convinced that most people actually used a script, because I think a trophy that requires this much skill and dedication would be significantly lower in regards to PSNP rarity.

• 5 months later...

I finally got this trophy after almost 30 hours of playtime, I don't know why I wasted so much time on this, but for some reason my stubbornness wouldn't let me cheat on this. Probably spent 28 of those hours attempting the 200-300 section. I would've saved so much time if there was a proper guide on how to tackle the 200-300 section so that's why I want to share how I beat this section to anyone who attempts this in the future. 

I did this on PS5 just in case there's any emulation differences between versions. 

First off for 1-200; It's significantly easier to just close your eyes and tap along to the beat. When I first attempted this trophy, I was purely watching the counter and I'd fail roughly half the time on 51. It's quite awkward at first trying to tap along to the beat with your eyes closed but trust me it's by far the most consistent method. I could easily reach 200 9/10 times whereas even now; with all my practice, if I try and time my presses to Vivi's hand or feet I'll fail at random points but mostly at 51. To me, the animation is slightly too slow and it'll likely catch you out when the beat changes. 

I counted in multiples of 10 to the rhythm of the beat so 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-1-2-3...  This way you'll know that the beat changes will always be on 1 and you can easily react to the changes at 20-50-100 just by listening to the increased beat tempo. I would open my eyes and take a quick glance at my screen to see how far I was during the 100-200 section so that I'd be ready for the change at 200.

200-300: So this is by far the hardest part and it's incredibly frustrating because it's hard to tell why exactly you're failing. I tried literally EVERYTHING to pass this section, I'd try watching the counter, I'd try to watch Vivi's feet or his hand, I'd try double tapping at 201/202/203, I'd try double tapping slowly or much faster but seemingly nothing worked. 

Once i finally figured out what the exact pace and method to pass this section was; In the span of an hour I reached 299, 302, 649 and finally when I got the trophy at 1959 jumps. 

So first off you need to know exactly when you are about to reach 200, take a quick glance at the screen during the later parts of the 100's; say for example you see 167, you should still be counting in your head and you should now realise in 3 more 10 counts you'll be at 200.

The beat changes at 200 exactly. I've seen people say it changes at 201/202/203 but I've tested it several times and if you kept the same tempo as 100-200; you'll pretty much always fail at 202 and you'll hear the double thud once. 

So here's the hardest part; Once you reach 200, keep your eyes closed and try your absolute hardest not to listen to the beat from the game.  For some reason the biggest trap here is trying to exactly match the beat here like earlier sections, If I tried to slow down and time my presses perfectly to the beat, I would always fail. I don't know why but the beat and sound here is completely wrong and it's a big reason why this section took so long for me to do. 

The double tap method that worked the best for me and I'd virtually always reach 207-212 was counting in fours so like: 1.2..3.4..1.2..3.4..1.2..3.4..1.2..... and if I got past 212; I'd pretty much have the speed nailed down. So remember not to listen to the game sound and just internally count 1.2..3.4 constantly until you reach 300. If you are counting in 10's; your internal count will be at 10 when you reach 200 which is timed perfectly so you can easily change from counting 10's to the 4 count. 

Knowing the exact speed at which to press the double tap's is going to take a significant amount of practice. It's kind of a similar pace to 100-200, try imagining this section but instead of pressing once you are double tapping. You need to be precise with your double taps but you are just going to have to practice either slowing down or speeding up the presses till you find the sweet spot. At times it felt like I wasn't even double tapping and instead just pressing X very quickly to my internal count.

You do not want to be failing at 200-204 as this means your double tap timing is completely off and you'll need to adjust either the double tap timing or the break between the double taps, whereas if you are failing around 207-212 just keep trying the same speed and you'll eventually make it past that point.

Transitioning from 299-301 is quite easy and will come to you naturally, just be ready for the card popup notification as this completely startled me the first time I got over 300 and I wasn't able to listen to the beat change and tempo but I still ended up at 302.

300-1000 is nowhere near as hard as 200-300, I managed to do it on my third time over 300. You should just follow the beat here like from 1-200 with your eyes closed before and do counts of 10. To me it was more of a physical and mental battle than anything. My heart rate would start to spike and my hands instantly became sweatier, small little things would try and distract me like I'd feel the X button on my controller is becoming loose. But you just need to be vigilant and keep your 10 count and even if you do fail, You should realise you can reach that point again and next time it'll be less nerve wracking. 

Good Luck!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Ive been practicing for the past 2 days now or so and finally 200+ clicked for me. The transition at least. My best is 232 i think but i keep messing up the timing. Everything up to 200 is super easy now that i hardly think about the rhythm anymore but the double tap is where i keep failing. Its good for the first 210-220 but then i get distracted by the double tapping. Any advice or tips?

I have music turned off. I use headset. I have tried both ps4 and ps5 console, dualshock 4 and dualsense controllers. Two different tvs, i have also tried wired and wireless with both controllers and honestly there isnt that much of a difference i think. Funny enough i perform better on my oled tv than i do on an old led tv.

I have tried closing my eyes but thats a big no on my part because i need to visualize what im doing. Ive always been like that. 

My technique that ive been using that i havent seen anyone else mention is that i tap 1,2,3,4 in my head from 51 and all the way to 201 while looking at the counter going up. It works for me because i land on the same odd and even numbers all the time and that way i can also gauge if im tapping too fast or too slow. The more in sync the numbers are with my tapping 1,2,3,4 the better.

Unfortunately that doesnt work with the double tapping.

15 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Ive been practicing for the past 2 days now or so and finally 200+ clicked for me. The transition at least. My best is 232 i think but i keep messing up the timing. Everything up to 200 is super easy now that i hardly think about the rhythm anymore but the double tap is where i keep failing. Its good for the first 210-220 but then i get distracted by the double tapping. Any advice or tips?

Did you try setting the controller down on a bed/table top or something like that and just tapping X and Square alternatively with one index finger from each hand?  It is much easier to match the tempo doing that.. or at least it was for me.  I couldn't make any progress until I started doing that and I got to 1200+ jumps pretty quickly afterward once the 200-300 section felt doable.  The rhythm is kinda funky because you want to tap the X then the Square soon after.. then pause for longer than you'd expect before repeating.  It isn't a very fast section overall, just tricky.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elegy said:

Did you try setting the controller down on a bed/table top or something like that and just tapping X and Square alternatively with one index finger from each hand?  It is much easier to match the tempo doing that.. or at least it was for me.  I couldn't make any progress until I started doing that and I got to 1200+ jumps pretty quickly afterward once the 200-300 section felt doable.  The rhythm is kinda funky because you want to tap the X then the Square soon after.. then pause for longer than you'd expect before repeating.  It isn't a very fast section overall, just tricky.

Yes i have my controller resting on my thigh for an easier time. I have tried alternating between two buttons and it doesnt work for me because i keep getting thrown off the double tap.

Im right to understand that you want to start double tapping from 200 and onwards correct? 

Heres what ive found:

i count 1,2,3,4 all the way up to 198. From 198 i start going 1,2 to transition into the double tap which starts from 201 into 202 and it will sound like a galop during 203-204, 205-206, 207-208 and so on. Ga-lop.

However if i go 1,2,3,4 all the way up to 198 but instead of 1,2 to transition, if i go 1,2,3 i end up at 201 from 198 and if i start my double tap on 201 instead of 200 then it will sound like a heart beat instead. Do-do, do-do.

Im so confused by this because that to me looks and sounds like there is a massive sound delay/input delay.  Ive tried both starting points and the ga-lop with closed eyes actually got me up to 253 once but it doesnt matter because as soon as i open my eyes i get thrown off and i need to know when im close to 300.

The heart beat do-do got me to 225 once. So it seems like both starting points works but its a matter of when to double tap which i find very hard to do.

Maybe the question is which starting point is the correct one in the ps1 version? When do you recommend to start double tapping?

Edited by UlvenFenrir

1 hour ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Maybe the question is which starting point is the correct one in the ps1 version? When do you recommend to start double tapping?

It has been a while since I did it on the PS4 version so I am just trying to remember exactly how it worked.  But I want to say that for the first 200 jumps it was just purely matching my taps with a specific pixel his hand crossed at the apex of his jump, but it also matches the sound of his boots clicking on the ground as well.  I was able to close my eyes and get to 200 just hitting the button at the same time his boots clicked, but it was more consistent for me to just hit X when his hand crossed this little pixel for a perfect jump every time; however, this only works on single jumps.

For the double dutch movement,  I would start at 201 jumps.  Getting into the double tap is hard but I think it was immediately after 200 jumps then I'd quickly lay the controller down and start tapping X then Square, rest, x then square, rest.. repeat.  The key with that is to match your taps to Vivi's feet tapping the ground.  You'll quickly get the rhythm down and anticipate when those taps will come so it will be hard to miss once you get into the zone.  Transitioning into the double tap is tricky.. and transitioning out of it is also tricky.  I failed one or two times around the 300 transition before I finally got it, mainly because the fast jumps from 301 onwards are quite fast taps compared to the slower double dutch "tap, tap, rest" beat.  It might also be worth trying to just thumb tap 201 and 202, then during the rest set the controller down and start the double tap from 203+204 onward.  I always treated them as sets of two and just followed the sound of Vivi's boots.

I HIGHLY recommend turning off all in game sound except for the tapping of the feet from Vivi as it is the single best indicator of the timing for the double dutch part.  I recorded a video of my successful run of this with only Vivi's feet for audio.  You can hear that the gallop noise starts at 201-202, rest, 203-204, rest, etc.  You can also hear that the last double dutch ends on 300 so the single jump fast taps start at 301.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 2

On 31/12/2022 at 1:31 PM, Elegy said:

It has been a while since I did it on the PS4 version so I am just trying to remember exactly how it worked.  But I want to say that for the first 200 jumps it was just purely matching my taps with a specific pixel his hand crossed at the apex of his jump, but it also matches the sound of his boots clicking on the ground as well.  I was able to close my eyes and get to 200 just hitting the button at the same time his boots clicked, but it was more consistent for me to just hit X when his hand crossed this little pixel for a perfect jump every time; however, this only works on single jumps.

For the double dutch movement,  I would start at 201 jumps.  Getting into the double tap is hard but I think it was immediately after 200 jumps then I'd quickly lay the controller down and start tapping X then Square, rest, x then square, rest.. repeat.  The key with that is to match your taps to Vivi's feet tapping the ground.  You'll quickly get the rhythm down and anticipate when those taps will come so it will be hard to miss once you get into the zone.  Transitioning into the double tap is tricky.. and transitioning out of it is also tricky.  I failed one or two times around the 300 transition before I finally got it, mainly because the fast jumps from 301 onwards are quite fast taps compared to the slower double dutch "tap, tap, rest" beat.  It might also be worth trying to just thumb tap 201 and 202, then during the rest set the controller down and start the double tap from 203+204 onward.  I always treated them as sets of two and just followed the sound of Vivi's boots.

I HIGHLY recommend turning off all in game sound except for the tapping of the feet from Vivi as it is the single best indicator of the timing for the double dutch part.  I recorded a video of my successful run of this with only Vivi's feet for audio.  You can hear that the gallop noise starts at 201-202, rest, 203-204, rest, etc.  You can also hear that the last double dutch ends on 300 so the single jump fast taps start at 301.

Hey again. I really appreciate your tips and help. :D I have made more progress. I can get to 300 now.

My strategy so far that works pretty well for me:

0-50 i just watch the counter go up and tap as i listen to vivis footsteps as he lands.

50-198 i start counting 1,2,3,4 in my head while listening to vivis footsteps and looking at the counter.

198-201 i count 1,2,3 to ease into the double tap.

201-300 i count 1,2 (pause), 3,4 (pause) 1,2 (pause) 3,4 (pause) etc.

I do all of it with my eyes OPEN. I have tried closing my eyes during the double tap and it works but given the fact that i need to open them at some point before 300 made me practice with open eyes instead. This way i wont have to worry about any extra stuff, its hard enough as is.

Unfortunately my problem now is the transition into the 300 and beyond. I feel like im really close but still so far away from actually completing it. Wouldnt surprise me if ive practiced for over 20 hours total. ? Its easily a 9/10 for me. Never liked the minigame and never will. But i will complete it at some point.

Edited by UlvenFenrir

48 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Its easily a 9/10 for me. Never liked the minigame and never will. But i will complete it at some point.

The problem with these ports is that the original was designed to be played on CRT. The original release was more forgiving than this version. Anyways, for the whole 200-300 sequence I watched the rope, as it hit the apex of the swing I hit X and then when Vivi landed I pressed X again, giving that galloping jump.

I practiced for maybe 8 hours, however I have beaten this before on PS1 and emulation. 0-100 and 300 onwards is the easy part, if you can get 200-300 then its alot easier.

8 hours ago, TriadThunder said:

The problem with these ports is that the original was designed to be played on CRT. The original release was more forgiving than this version. Anyways, for the whole 200-300 sequence I watched the rope, as it hit the apex of the swing I hit X and then when Vivi landed I pressed X again, giving that galloping jump.

I practiced for maybe 8 hours, however I have beaten this before on PS1 and emulation. 0-100 and 300 onwards is the easy part, if you can get 200-300 then its alot easier.

Yeah thats what ive heard but i havent played ff9 since i was younger so i wouldnt even notice the difference. 8 hours practice is pretty fast :o ill keep at it. Hopefully ill have it done soon so i can actually play the real game. xD 

HUGE Thanks to @AGN_shinobie972 for letting me know but unless you wanna have a really bad time with the jump rope minigame DONT play the PS5 version! I cant believe this isnt mentioned anywhere. I already tested this once but this time i made sure i connected my PS4 to the same TV that i have my PS5 connected to. This way i could exclude the TV from being part of the problem.

Not only is the PS4 version much easier (got to 300 4 times in a row after switching to PS4 pro) but the PS5 version makes the jump rope minigame even faster and more delayed than it already is. (Basically the sound effects, vivi and the rope animation is 1.5x faster) The trophy guide should be updated to reflect this.

The double tapping is easy now, its slower and its not throwing me off for no apparent reason anymore. I would say i have wasted a TON of hours playing this game on PS5 but at the same time it makes playing it on PS4 really easy in comparison.

@ARB1992

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2023. 1. 3. at 7:52 AM, UlvenFenrir said:

HUGE Thanks to @AGN_shinobie972 for letting me know but unless you wanna have a really bad time with the jump rope minigame DONT play the PS5 version! I cant believe this isnt mentioned anywhere. I already tested this once but this time i made sure i connected my PS4 to the same TV that i have my PS5 connected to. This way i could exclude the TV from being part of the problem.

Not only is the PS4 version much easier (got to 300 4 times in a row after switching to PS4 pro) but the PS5 version makes the jump rope minigame even faster and more delayed than it already is. (Basically the sound effects, vivi and the rope animation is 1.5x faster) The trophy guide should be updated to reflect this.

The double tapping is easy now, its slower and its not throwing me off for no apparent reason anymore. I would say i have wasted a TON of hours playing this game on PS5 but at the same time it makes playing it on PS4 really easy in comparison.

@ARB1992

Wow thanks for this message. I already did the 1000 jumps on Switch recently so I was pretty confident about doing it on PS5 too and for the life of me, it seemed soooo different. Like I could do 200+ easily on Switch and then immediately try on PS5 but not go over 10 jumps .... The tempo seems faster on PS5 indeed but the sound is completely messed up and I really had to turn off the sound. still couldn't do it on ps5, I didnt want to waste another 10 hours fixing my muscle memory. Eventually I had to plug in an old PS4 slim to finally feel confortable. If you had not posted this warning, I guess I would have thought something is wrong with me and just keep failing on ps5. 

• 6 months later...