Never a GOTY edition, huh?

Company went belly up and instead of being sold to another video game dev who would've done something with it... The state of Rhode Island decided to hold the IP hostage and won't give it up for anything less than WAY more than it's worth lol.

So no complete, sadly probably no sequel. Surprised they even still sell the dlc at this point.

15 minutes ago, IntroPhenom said:

I want to play this game, but the two DLC are ten bucks each.  No complete edition was ever issued?  Kind of a bummer

Personally I thought the game was great and it seems to get a lot of love around here but it didn't sell well. It was beset by financial and legal issues too. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster so I'm not surprised it doesn't have a GOTY

30 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

Personally I thought the game was great and it seems to get a lot of love around here but it didn't sell well. It was beset by financial and legal issues too. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster so I'm not surprised it doesn't have a GOTY

All of the above, plus the fact that it came out around 2 months after the release of Skyrim.

3 hours ago, Cleggworth said:

I did sell well though, the problem is it didn't sell "well enough" and the management of the studio was hoooooorendous.

It sold 1.22 million within it's first three months. Which was above EA's expectations. But apparently needed 3 million to break even (edit; or this was to pay back the state loan, not sure - but the state shouldn't have higher expectations than a company actually in this business). Which is absurd for a new IP. If the studio was properly managed, then this would've been a great start for a series from a fresh studio. But nope. Mismanagement lead to their doom.

Edited by Elvick_

6 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I did sell well though, the problem is it didn't sell "well enough" and the management of the studio was hoooooorendous.

It sold 1.22 million within it's first three months. Which was above EA's expectations. But apparently needed 3 million to break even. Which is absurd for a new IP. If the studio was properly managed, then this would've been a great start for a series from a fresh studio. But nope. Mismanagement lead to their doom.

I agree with you, 1.2 million for a new IP is fantastic but unfortunately the 3 million figure is all that truly mattered in this case. Such a shame. With the love this game garnered the series really could have gone from strength to strength if it was able to continue

Unfortunately the studio was close, but it would be awesome if they made a complete edition for ps4 with updated graphics and all dlcs. I enjoyed every single second playing that game, way more than skyrim that unfortunately put this masterpiece in the shadow. 

I was going to start a new thread but I think I might as well ask here as it's kinda related. I've just noticed that both DLC's are on sale and I'm wondering are they worth buying. Despite many opinions that game is repetitive and gets boring over time I personally had great fun with it for nearly 80 hours I spent with this title back in the day. Your advice?

Edited by maniek515

Iirc the game was built, initially, to be an MMO of sorts but the budget got out of control, so it was actually scaled back and turned into a single player game.  Maybe it was too ambitious, but what it ended up as was a great rpg imo, not without flaws, but what isn't?  Can't speak to the dlc's, but I'd buy a PS4 (definitive) remastered version, however the likelihood of that remaster happening is next to zero...unfortunately.   Certainly a game worth playing, shame it got everyone involved with it in a right mess.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, maniek515 said:

I was going to start a new thread but I think I might as well ask here as it's kinda related. I've just noticed that both DLC's are on sale and I'm wondering are they worth buying. Despite many opinions that game is repetitive and gets boring over time I personally had great fun with it for nearly 80 hours I spent with this title back in the day. Your advice?

From what I remember, if you enjoyed the game you'll enjoy the DLC. It was pretty much more of the same. I'd say if they're on sale, go grab them. Never know if they'll be cheap again. As someone else mentioned, it's mildly surprising that they weren't outright delisted.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RedMustang72 said:

Iirc the game was built, initially, to be an MMO of sorts but the budget got out of control, so it was actually scaled back and turned into a single player game.  Maybe it was too ambitious, but what it ended up as was a great rpg imo, not without flaws, but what isn't?  Can't speak to the dlc's, but I'd buy a PS4 (definitive) remastered version, however the likelihood of that remaster happening is next to zero...unfortunately.   Certainly a game worth playing, shame it got everyone involved with it in a right mess.

I agree and to be honest, this game had a MMO feeling to it like I'm supposed to be running quests with other people. If this comes to the PS4, the it's all but certain the version will have MP. It'll be fun to play online with others (as link a they're not jerks but such is the nature of the online beast). 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 2