31 years ago today on September 26, 1986, KONAMI released Castlevania on the NES

Remilia Scarlet

I only enjoyed the 2D games in the series once it started using the Metroidvania formula. I actually started with the first GBA game (Circle of the Moon), and later went back and played Symphony of the Night (I never owned a PS1 so I couldn't play it until I got a PS3 and PSP). Which reminds me, I still need to finish Order of Ecclesia. It's the only 2D Castlevania starting with SotN that I haven't finished... I got to the final boss and got stuck (story of my life, getting stuck right at the end!). I dabbled in the multiplayer PS3/X360 game but I don't consider that part of the real series.

I have tried playing the NES/SNES era games and I just can't get into them. I know they're classics but they're not for me. 

For the 3D games, I never played the PS2 ones, but I liked Lords of Shadow. I haven't played the second one. 

Anyway, I owe a lot to Circle of the Moon for getting me into the Metroidvania genre, which is one of my favorites (my favorite game in the genre that isn't actually Castlevania or Metroid is Guacamelee, although Steam World Dig and SWD2 are almost as great). So I'll say Happy Birthday Castlevania! 

My worst memory is probably trying to play Rondo of Blood that came with the Dracula X Chronicles PSP port. That game was way too hard for me. I did get far enough to unlock Symphony of the Night though. 

My best memory is playing Symphony of the Night for the first time, a few years ago, and seeing that it aged well and lived up to the hype. What a fantastic game. 

In future Castlevania games, I want to see more great Metroidvania style games. I think that's where the series really shines. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

I don't have a specific fondest moment but I really enjoyed playing Harmony of Despair with my gf. We logged hundreds of hours playing that game, it is really addicting. 

I haven't played a game I didn't like from the series but my top games are Chronicles, LoS, PoR, and OoE.

To anyone that played Portrait of Ruin, check out these custom characters my gf made a few years back in Soul Calibur V:

Spoiler

My best memory with the series is definitely playing Simon's Quest with my brother. Back when the very first episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd were getting shared around Myspace I showed them to my little brother and he begged me to buy an NES. We ended up getting the first three Castlevania games, but Simon's Quest was the one we spent all night taking turns to beat and yelling about how bad it was. 

So Castlevania was the series that got us both into collecting retro games. We ended up keeping up with our collection until he graduated and moved out a few months ago. So thank you Simon's Quest. 

• Like 1

My fondest Castlevania memory is playing II on the NES. I think I was eight and I remember my brother and I just brute forcing our way through this game, making little maps on graph paper, just figuring the game out. It was so satisfying when we eventually beat the game.  

1 hour ago, Freelancer Tex said:

What are your fondest, or worst memories of the series? What do you want to see from the future of the series?

FONDEST: Super Castlevania IV for the SNES. There are lots of great memories, but that game just absolutely knocked my socks off.

WORST: Castlevania for the N64. Just...wow.

Future direction? Theoretically, I'd like to see them take a more Dark Souls turn, with less of this crappy storytelling like what we see in Lords of Shadow. However, practically, I think it's irrelevant, as I think Konami is finished as a major player in the video game industry (much of this being their own fault).

30 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

High point: Playing thru the Lords of Shadows series

Low point: Playing thru Circle of the Moon

As for the future, I want the series to just rest in peace. Knowing Konami, they'll probably revive it as some multiplayer shooter.

lol, that reminds me of running with a team of 6 Somas using duel pistols (backdash/canceling for rapid fire) in Harmony of Despair. I can just imagine what Dracula was thinking as he heard a barrage of gunfire getting closer and closer to him. haha

A year ago would have been the perfect time for a re-release of some sort. I wasn't expecting anything to actually happen, though. The first game, along with IV and Rondo of Blood are my favorites. I've beat the first Castlevania at least 100 times, mostly due to speed run attempts. I never got anywhere near the world record, but I'm pretty satisfied with beating it in a little under 17 minutes.

I remember my first impression somewhere while childhood my parents bought me Dandy and there was Castlevania and Contra. And that was a love from the first step, I always liked medieval architecture and monsters and this game just gave me that in the most beautiful way. I can say it was really hard, but I certain from there I've started to love action RPG games, even original game doesn't look so, but the Simon's quest is that - original action RPG, hardcore game where there is the difference between if you go to the right and to the left first, where if your choice wrong and location is for high level, but you made through, there will be hard debating for yourself is it worth to go back or continue, and moment when you need not only think rage and slashing, but also tactics and timing. And no apparent clues about where to go and what to do, seek-seek-seek and survive.

But the most impression 'course was Symphony of the Night. There go a lot of words of delight, not worth mentioning. All Castlevanias made by this formula are great.

I only hope that one day there will be an easy way to play Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow again and on Playstation.

3D era may be not the best experience, but if once you were into any title of this game, you do ignore all the minuses:). Especially the Lords of Shadow is great, just great by its own way of telling that good old story in a different way, much more mature in any means. And I guess a lot of fans wanted ever try themselves on the other side.

I only didn't get into Circle of the Moon, damn, kinda bad design, like Harmony of Despair, irony.

16 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Future direction? Theoretically, I'd like to see them take a more Dark Souls turn, with less of this crappy storytelling like what we see in Lords of Shadow. However, practically, I think it's irrelevant, as I think Konami is finished as a major player in the video game industry (much of this being their own fault).

I don't remember the source, but From Software mentioned Castlevania as the inspiration for Dark Souls series. I guess theoretically there is still a way to make both goals, when the story and the gameplay would work together.

Super Castlevania IV is the best game ever which I played but did not finish. Damn, that Simon's theme was amazing, but I just was not good enough as a little kid. Should try again now, I still have it on cartridge.

I watched the new Netflix series and I thought it was pretty cool, definitely watching season two next year.

Such a shame Konami won't do a good new Castlevania game. Hopefully a couple of the classics will be released on the Switch soon.

• Like 1