Gravity Rush 2 to end online services in January 2018. EDIT: extended to July 2018

zeda12123

8 minutes ago, chellesan said:

thats pretty bad, was the game not popular enough? maybe it was best to do a vita release after all

Yes, the game sold very poorly. I think putting the game on PS4 along with a remaster of the first one was a smart decision, but they should have released it on Vita as well. I mean that's where the core Gravity Rush audience was - the people who gave the game attention in the first place. I'm sure a lot of the people who loved Gravity Rush on Vita bought the sequel on PS4, including myself, but undoubtedly there were people left burned by the decision to leave the Vita audience behind and didn't buy it.

• Like 2

Just got the platinum few days ago!

Note to all who are going to attempt this with a 100% completion in mind, in order to collect all gestures and furniture for Kat's house, you must progress the story to the point where you have access to her home again otherwise the treasure hunts WILL NOT allow you to receive any furniture until then but you will still receive gestures, since most of them come from those alone which is why I despise implementing any sort of online component to a single player game. Just look at Darksiders 2 and other games that do this, examples of why this kind of shit is detrimental to single player games.

• Like 3

lol at people calling it "Multiplayer" it amounts to leaderboards, hints and picture sharing. The first being the only thing that really matters. The other things don't matter, the latter is better to do natively with real screenshots via actual social media. Sucks about the costumes, but the cost of dusty tokens for them was ridiculous anyway. The entire time I was going for plat I only got 2 reactions on anything I ever uploaded.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:24 AM, Undead Wolf said:

Yes, the game sold very poorly. I think putting the game on PS4 along with a remaster of the first one was a smart decision, but they should have released it on Vita as well. I mean that's where the core Gravity Rush audience was - the people who gave the game attention in the first place. I'm sure a lot of the people who loved Gravity Rush on Vita bought the sequel on PS4, including myself, but undoubtedly there were people left burned by the decision to leave the Vita audience behind and didn't buy it.

The game would be designed differently if it were on Vita.

Stop with this madness people. Vita is dated hardware, and couldn't handle large open worlds like Gravity Rush 2 has. The world is so much more massive than anything on Vita, and the density of everything... just travelling too quickly from one part of the original game to the other would result in the game being forced into a load. Let alone making the world as massive and vertical as it is in GR2.

I'm glad it wasn't on Vita,  because it's a better game for it. Controls on the Remaster vs Original alone show that Vita was holding back even the original. Anyone that didn't buy it because it wasn't on Vita, ie; they were butthurt, are people who didn't give a shit about this IP to begin with. Because if they did, they'd love that the game got a chance to be much better than it ever could be on Vita.

"I love Gravity Rush, but I refuse to buy a sequel because I'm butthurt it's not on my platform of choice! Where the game barely made a splash! WE MADE YOU A NICHE GAME!" It's not like GR sold a million on Vita. It sold barely anything. The market just doesn't want Gravity Rush, that much is unfortunately clear. Well, that and Sony's bad marketing. That commercial with the room and gravity shifting inside it was dope, but it clearly didn't help push sales.

On 9/28/2017 at 8:57 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

it is a dramatic step down in fun from the first game

I vehemently disagree.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2017 at 4:41 PM, zeda12123 said:

I feel like this is really more of a studio Japan decisions than a sony one, I really don't think ps plus sales or online fees factored into it at all. Like you all said, the game never really needed multiplayer which probably makes it a pain for studio japan to keep up something barely used. Kinda wish they would do something decent and jut give everyone the costumes for free, though.

That would be awesome, but something that unfortunately never happen. 99.9999% of game publishers don't have the slightest idea what customer service is, or even appealing to customers.

Edited by cris3f

It's a shame that the online service has to end that soon. I just started playing the games few days ago and had a lot of fun taking photos and hunting treasures. I really like these small interaction between players.

Hopefully the developer will implement a patch so that we can unlock those using gem instead.

13 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

The game would be designed differently if it were on Vita.

Stop with this madness people. Vita is dated hardware, and couldn't handle large open worlds like Gravity Rush 2 has. The world is so much more massive than anything on Vita, and the density of everything... just travelling too quickly from one part of the original game to the other would result in the game being forced into a load. Let alone making the world as massive and vertical as it is in GR2.

I don't doubt the Gravity Rush 2 that eventually released wasn't possible on Vita without things being dialed back, changed, etc, but that's not really the point... The game was announced as a Vita exclusive, so even if you think the decision to become a PS4 exclusive was beneficial to the game itself, you can't deny it was a slap in the face to Vita owners looking forward to the sequel. I bought the game on PS4 to support a series I love, but I understand why some people refused to buy it, or were unable to because they don't own a PS4. Believe it or not, but not everyone can afford all these systems.

Nobody is saying the Vita's hardware is on par with PS4. It's not a matter of being "dated" hardware; handheld games are always going to look worse or not run as well as console games, but so what? That's not the appeal of handheld gaming, which is something you apparently don't understand.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just started going for the dusty tokens. I've been getting 80 tokens per treasure hunt, and 4 treasures per day. I have about 1000 tokens after 3 days, so it will take just under 3 weeks to finish using only treasure hunts. If you're going for this, don't wait too long to get started!

Edited by FlyingChaucer
  • Like 1

On 28/09/2017 at 7:24 PM, Undead Wolf said:

i refuse to buy this game, i played the first on Vita and was angry when they released the second only on PS4 it just works better on Vita i tried the PS4 remaster i just could not get my headround using the DS4 needs to be on the Vita for the concept to work in my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FlyingChaucer said:

I just started going for the dusty tokens. I've been getting 80 tokens per treasure hunt, and 4 treasures per day. I have about 1000 tokens after 3 days, so it will take just under 3 weeks to finish using . If you're going for this, don't wait too long to get started!

You actually get 8 treasure hunts per day once you finish the story, so it doesn't take quite that long.

Still, if you care about getting all the things from the dusty tokens and treasure hunts, two or three weeks sounds liek a reasonable minimum time to be safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

You actually get 8 treasure hunts per day once you finish the story, so it doesn't take quite that long.

Thanks for the info. I've been prioritizing the online over progress in the single-player story to be sure to get enough dusty tokens. Good to know I should be pushing forward with the main story.

On 28/09/2017 at 4:42 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Nope, only if you want to get all costumes for Kat.

Hopefully this shows that adding MP to weeb games is a bad idea :awesome: 

Took the words from my mouth :P godly intuition perhaps? In all honesty, this MP is probably tolerable. 

Regardless of future outcomes let's not ever forget the dramatics we had from Nino Kuni 2 incident, that one was tough xD glad is past us. 

Edited by Mah2c

So, if i start the game with 0 campaign progress which online features can i access? It's better to go hunt tokens after finish the story?  i don't want to rush the campaign just to access all online modes. I hope to get the game on Saturday.

Edited by GoldenShaka

1 hour ago, DarkSoleride said:

i refuse to buy this game, i played the first on Vita and was angry when they released the second only on PS4 it just works better on Vita i tried the PS4 remaster i just could not get my headround using the DS4 needs to be on the Vita for the concept to work in my opinion. 

You weren't the only one. It was one of the few games I was looking forward to, before they made the announcement. I have a PS4 now, but I'm going to buy it used. I just haven't found one yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

So, if i start the game with 0 campaign progress which online features can i access? It's better to go hunt tokens after finish the story?  i don't want to rush the campaign just to access all online modes. I hope to get the game on Saturday.

You get access to all the features after you complete the prologue, or a bit after that. The exception is that you won't be able to receive furniture from the treasure hunts until you reach a later part of the game.

There aren't really online modes. It's more that there's some online interaction between players that is very similar to how it works in the Souls games.

Basically what you can do online is:

- Share photographs taken with the in-game camera and rate other people's photographs.

- Challenge the scores/times of other players in the in-game challenges.

- Ability to send and receive treasure hints

- View other player's deaths or something. (I'm really not sure about this one. I only witnessed it once in the mining rift. I think you basically just find places where other players died)

Now all these things reward you with some amount of dusty tokens. You get rewards from dusty tokens, such as costumes and photo items and talismans. The rewards cap out at 6000, where you get a talisman that gives you infinite shifting power. Additionally the treasure hunts are the only way to get certain furniture and talismans. There's a finite amount of items you can get, after which you only receive gems from them. I believe you can still find treasures even without the online services running, but it'll be extremely difficult since the game doesn't give you much of an indicator when there's a treasure nearby, whereas with the online you get 4/8 treasure hints  a day automatically.

So if you don't want to miss out on anything when the online service ends, make sure you keep doing all the treasure hunts daily. Also note that you can only get furniture once you reach the second half of the game. Also do note that you get more treasure hunts daily after beating the main story.

You don't necessarily have to rush the campaign though. I personally spent a week just doing the first part of the game slowly, and I believe I had all the dusty tokens well before finishing the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDiivil said:

You get access to all the features after you complete the prologue, or a bit after that. The exception is that you won't be able to receive furniture from the treasure hunts until you reach a later part of the game.

There aren't really online modes. It's more that there's some online interaction between players that is very similar to how it works in the Souls games.

Basically what you can do online is:

- Share photographs taken with the in-game camera and rate other people's photographs.

- Challenge the scores/times of other players in the in-game challenges.

- Ability to send and receive treasure hints

- View other player's deaths or something. (I'm really not sure about this one. I only witnessed it once in the mining rift. I think you basically just find places where other players died)

Now all these things reward you with some amount of dusty tokens. You get rewards from dusty tokens, such as costumes and photo items and talismans. The rewards cap out at 6000, where you get a talisman that gives you infinite shifting power. Additionally the treasure hunts are the only way to get certain furniture and talismans. There's a finite amount of items you can get, after which you only receive gems from them. I believe you can still find treasures even without the online services running, but it'll be extremely difficult since the game doesn't give you much of an indicator when there's a treasure nearby, whereas with the online you get 4/8 treasure hints  a day automatically.

So if you don't want to miss out on anything when the online service ends, make sure you keep doing all the treasure hunts daily. Also note that you can only get furniture once you reach the second half of the game. Also do note that you get more treasure hunts daily after beating the main story.

You don't necessarily have to rush the campaign though. I personally spent a week just doing the first part of the game slowly, and I believe I had all the dusty tokens well before finishing the game.

Thanks for all the info :)

3 hours ago, IDiivil said:

After you finish mission 4 (roughly 2 hours into the game if you play the side missions as you go), you'll move to a new location, which will unlock the treasure hunts. Right after arriving there, I also got my first photo evaluation opportunity. I haven't received any online challenges yet, although I have sent a few.

14 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

You weren't the only one. It was one of the few games I was looking forward to, before they made the announcement. I have a PS4 now, but I'm going to buy it used. I just haven't found one yet.

Been trying to find/wait for a super sweet deal for this too but no luck. Im hoping in the next 4 weeks of the NA sale, we get a great deal for it.