Nintendo Has Announced the End of the Wii Shop Channel

Raidou Kuzunoha XIV

On 29.9.2017 at 1:51 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Certainly, everyone is different, but given the massive number of remasters and re-releases, lots of companies are banking on people wanting their nostalgia.

As for the OP, nothing surprising here. It sucks, certainly, and I'm not trying to give a pass to Nintendo for this (they suck), but it's hardly unexpected.

The companies see we want remastered titles and they want to sell them again so it's a win-win for the company to shut down access to old console games and sell them again on newer consoles :D

And i think you're right hardly unexpected... no idea how much longer ps3 titles are available but i hope for some more years...

Edited by Evil_Joker88

2 hours ago, Terra said:

Really? That's a shame :( . I was able to download the free stuff but you saved me from spending $20. The only three games that I purchased on my Wii were Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64, and Kirby's Adventure back in 2008. I guess those will have to do for now. My Wii is reaching it's ten year anniversary so I'll make sure to watch for any other free downloads.

Of course, you can feel free to try. Could have been a problem on my end and misinformation on part of the game shop owner when talking about it.

2 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

The companies see we want remastered titles and they want to sell them again so it's a win-win for the company to shut down access to old console games and sell them again on newer consoles :D

And i think you're right hardly unexpected... no idea how much longer ps3 titles are available but i hope for some more years...

They would've remastered everything if they wanted to shut down access to old games... gimme Resistance on PS4 lol. Oh and they didn't even shut down the online servers for certain old-gen games that were remastered.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Actually buying new stuff has not been possible for years, only thung you can still do is download stuff you have previously bought. Don't know why the OP says March 2018, to my knowledge it's already impossible.

Mèh, purchases were still linked to a console for the Wii eShop so all this means is that people who still have a Wii should download their purchases somewhere before 2019. That's a lot of advance notice.

Imagine if a Wii explodes after that date lol. That's why they did a d**k move, Microsoft and Sony made a better service. I think the Switch has games tied to accounts now, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

Edited by Lance_87

3 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Imagine if a Wii explodes after that date lol. That's why they did a d**k move, Microsoft and Sony made a better service. I think the Switch has games tied to accounts now, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

It's not a dick move, it was just an early online console and they did not think things completely through. We're now two home consoles farther, it's been long enough.  It would have been a dick move if this happened in the first year of the Wii U.

And yeah, the Switch finally has things right and purchases are tied to an account now.

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

It's not a dick move, it was just an early online console and they did not think things completely through. We're now two home consoles farther, it's been long enough.  It would have been a dick move if this happened in the first year of the Wii U.

And yeah, the Switch finally has things right and purchases are tied to an account now.

Yet the PSP (released two years before the Wii, and it's portable) works exactly like all the other PSN/XBL-enabled PlayStations and Xboxes.

17 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Yet the PSP (released two years before the Wii, and it's portable) works exactly like all the other PSN/XBL-enabled PlayStations and Xboxes.

Yeah, I'm not saying they were smart with how they handled their first steps into online capabilities. I'm just saying there's a difference between mistakes and malicious intent.

22 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Don't know how old you are but speaking as a guy in his thirties, I still have a SNES hooked up to the television in my mancave and I do still play on it from time to time, those are games that are over twenty years old.

I feel like people who are in their early twenties or younger right now are more accustomed to staying with current games, and the older people tend to keep enjoying the games from before the current century.

I'm 32, and I have been playing games since I was about 5 but in all honesty I find alot of games that are 20+ years old just do not hold up anymore. I still use my PS3 and play games that are 10 years old now and then but going back much further than that and I find they just aren't as I remember them. FFVIII is a good example, it was my top game of all time or I thought it was. Went back and played it when it was re released on PS4 and well I think it was better in my memories, had pretty much the same thing with any classics I have gone back and played.

It's fun to sometimes revisit old games, but it usually just reminds me how much better things are now (except for Microtransactions in full priced games, those can go die in a fire)

I plan to keep my PS3 hooked up until I have cleared my backlog, if I ever clear it haha but I really have no interest in replaying PS2 / PS1 or games even older than that, and the best games of those times tend to live on via remaster / re release anyway.

Edited by tpepper1985

2 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I'm 32, and I have been playing games since I was about 5 but in all honesty I find alot of games that are 20+ years old just do not hold up anymore. I still use my PS3 and play games that are 10 years old now and then but going back much further than that and I find they just aren't as I remember them. FFVIII is a good example, it was my top game of all time or I thought it was. Went back and played it when it was re released on PS4 and well I think it was better in my memories, had pretty much the same thing with any classics I have gone back and played.

It's fun to sometimes revisit old games, but it usually just reminds me how much better things are now (except for Microtransactions in full priced games, those can go die in a fire)

I plan to keep my PS3 hooked up until I have cleared my backlog, if I ever clear it haha but I really have no interest in replaying PS2 / PS1 or games even older than that, and the best games of those times tend to live on via remaster / re release anyway.

Funny enough, I'm debating internally whether or not to selly PS3 because I'm just not using it any more. I still play SNES bes and I still enjoy them, but I've gotten rid of everything else older than a PS3. In the case of the N64 it was just because the console itself died though, I would have gladly kept that one around.

23 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Actually buying new stuff has not been possible for years, only thung you can still do is download stuff you have previously bought. Don't know why the OP says March 2018, to my knowledge it's already impossible.

I re-brought Super Mario 64 on the Wii last year. It's still possible to buy stuff on the Wii Shop as far as I'm aware, I don't know why Nintendo would give a deadline for when it officially becomes impossible to do so otherwise.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2017 at 1:30 PM, NekoSlash said:

Thinking that so many creations will be wiped out with no further access in the future saddens me.

That's in that situation I'm glad the Wii can be hacked and the games can be found on the internet.

Exactly this. Once the cut-off date hits, no chances for a redownload on digital purchases.  If whatever your Wii games are stored on bites it, kiss 'em goodbye. 

Nintendo did have a good thing going with backward compatibility (GC games playable on Wii, Wii games playable on Wii U while GC compatibility sadly got dropped).  Switch uses carts so forget about disc games.  That said, Nintendo should follow Microsoft's example of 360 digital games on Xbox One.  Seeing some digital purchases from the 360 pop up on the X1's games & apps screen was good.