Are mobile devices useful for console gaming?

Alantor32

When I played Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, I tried the waiting mini-game and I suck at it, because I couldn't memorize the orders. But a few years later when mobile devices and tablets have been invented, I used one of my iPods to take pictures of important passwords for the Legend of Zelda Oracle games when they were released as Virtual Console games for the 3DS and they helped me out. And now, I used my iPad to help me memorized orders in Tales of Berseria's waiting mini-game.

So I want to ask people this: Can mobile devices be useful for console gaming such as taking snapshots of important stuff in console games like passwords and orders for serving food? Share me your thoughts.

If I need to make notes, I usually have a notepad that I record my stuff in. I have taken pictures in the earlier uncharted games for when I had to do the speed runs, I could just glance at the pic to refresh my memory on how to complete the puzzle. So yea. They can absolutely be useful.

• Like 1

thankfully turbo waitress still gives you the title when even messing up orders. at least i messed up an order or two and have all of colletes titles. its the uncle mini-game that thankfully you can just press the home button on your controller to pause and use a note pad on the side, make a description of each guy and put a number next to them in order. otherwise you'd need a phone or some kinda recording device, especially for the GCN version.

but yes, side devices in general are a big help with gaming, especially for completionists or being stuck on a part in general lol. (tales of symphonia is a perfect example. better be strapped by a bunch of guides every second. even on further playthroughs i need to start at the beginning of a guide, cant keep strong memory of how most dungeons are completed, or where to go and what to do.)

I've used some companion apps. Those are mostly disappointing, sadly. I'm playing Destiny 2 right now, and even though the official app is a bit disappointing, there is an API available. So I might build something myself to be able to switch gear sets or search for duplicate weapons, etc. So yeah, it can be handy, if there's budget to make a decent companion app. I think that's the problem most of the time. I'm glad Bungie took the API route.

Edit: I used my phone to take pictures of the D&D treasure maps in Prey. So there's that too. ?

Edited by Such-A-Goonie

Also there had been a lot of companion apps for Android/IOs who let you enjoy some extra content for your games (many of them very interesting) I can remember the Assassins Creed IV Black Flag Companion App, Watch Dogs also had one i think it was something like "CTOS mobile", NFS Rivals got one too who even allow you to unlock specials cars and laundries

Edited by Uchiha_Snake__

I sit right beside my computer when I'm playing on consoles so I just turn my chair if I need to use internet or a notepad. A computer is much faster at multitasking and loading stuff online so I prefer that over my phone. Although I once used my phone to take pictures of the screen because it was faster than typing down what I needed.

Remembered two games that have fun companion apps.

Dying Light has a simple management game where you send out runners on missions. They bring back loot, gain experience and levels, you unlock new missions, etc. The loot can be sent to your save file. It's nice to farm ammo for pistols and rifles as that's hard to find early on in the game proper.

Mortal Kombat X has a fun app too. It's an actual fighting game, but simplified. Don't expect much gameplay, it's really simple, but it's fun. You can level up fighters, earn koins, buy fighters and equipment, etc. You can even play against other people's characters. It's not actually pvp because the game will control the other player's fighters, but it's still fun. I think you can transfer or unlock some stuff in the PS4 game with the app, but I don't really know what. I kinda got carried away just playing the app.

They're without a doubt useful, yes. For gamers exclusively on console, you don't really have the luxury of being able to alt+tab quickly and use notepad for example. Most games I play I usually write down a few trophy notes, reminders, etc. There are even games that use/rely on a mobile companion app in order to play (That's You for eg). The real-time map for Wildlands too was pretty cool. I'm sure we'll see many more games like that in the future.

Besides that, mobile games are a nice time killer in between game matches, load screens or whatever too.