Best Computer for editing?

Fubuki

10 hours ago, BadTitanSlayer said:

Hey guys, so I was wondering if I should buy an HP AIO computer with an i7 processor for editing like Sony Vegas pro and After Effects. Since the one I have is a shitty one with Pentium.

Do not get an all in one computer. 

They aren't meant for heavy programs like after effects(why not get premiere instead of Sony Vegas? When I switched from vegas to premiere I never regretted it ever). 

You need either a beefy laptop(if you like linux on your computer as well, I can't recommend Zareason enough(but you will pay a *lot* for power and stability) or a decent desktop.

-Both should have discrete gpus. Intel doesn't cut it. 

-You'll also want obviously 1 or 2 SSDs for the operating system and the programs(not needed but the source material too if you have the cash for a larger SSD (1tb))

-RAM!!! As much as you can get at the fastest speed you're willing to buy without overclocking(unless you want to). Minimum 16GB, recommended 32+. 

-Not all i3/i5/i7 processors are built equally, i5s can beat out a low end i7. Look up each processor for the computer you're looking at. Use cpubenchmark.net. You'll see what I speak of. 

-Finally, Windows 7 Pro(pro because you can't use more than 8gb ram on home edition). It's faster, lighter, and smoother for programs. Win 8, and 10 are just too bulky. 

Don't be afraid to shop around. Or heck build one yourself(it's actually easy, people make it sound difficult). 

I've always bought dell(besides my zareason laptop).

Sometimes you can get a great desktop for cheap($800ish) and all you need to to do is swap the CPU, GPU, RAM, or SSD, but rarely more than 1 or 2.

Making it easier and cheaper for those that don't want to build. 

I guess that's all I got for just waking up.

Don't be afraid to check out Dell, and other computers. But I highly recommend it being win7.

Hope I helped! :D

• Like 1

Desktop or laptop?

Desktop is obviously better for editing, even if you get laptops that are almost as powerful. It's just you got some more options when it comes to desktop. The computer can be relatively small even then if you go for some nice micro ATX board and case. A laptop usually comes with a set screen, when you may want a better one, in fact you usually want two, so one laptop screen + one desktop screen isn't too bad.

A desktop has better options for HDDs etc. With enough RAM, you can gain massive performance boosts depending on what you do by creating virtual HDDs using the extra RAM. Like the HDD access can be RAM speed! I do that all the time with web browsing cache, and pages with lots of images I've already seen once loads rather instantly. You should definitely get at least 16GB RAM. I'm actually tempted to buy a couple of more 16GB sticks to get 32GB, but that's me. :P

As for GPU, depends on the program you want to use and it's support for multiple cores etc. It's pretty common to more and more cores and threads these days.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i7-processors/i7-8700k.html

^ That thing seems to be releasing soon. Definitely a beast to be reckoned with. And the CPU is what's going to make a difference when editing. Depends of course on if the editing software takes advantage of the GPU or not, and to what degree. The old CPUs don't tend to drop in price, unless you got to the used market. So buying like a 7700k now is just a waste IMO when a 8700k is going to cost pretty much the same in some few months. This is not as much the case with laptops though, there the price does seem to drop a bit.

If you want to go the cheap route and also get a laptop, you should definitely focus on the CPU and not as much on the GPU. An okay GPU does make a difference when it comes to video editing, but the CPU is what is likely going to make the biggest difference.

Edited by MMDE