PlayStation 4 Update 5.0 is up! your thoughts?

slaveknight09

Seems like they almost only focused on families that share a PS4 in this firmware update. Of course it's awesome that Sony has implemented all this as it is very much needed, but too bad that only one group will benefit from it i.e. families that share a PS4. Going to change my notification banner asap though!

One problem is sharefactory. In gallery, (screenshot and video clips) press 'option' button and select 'edit in sharefactory', select any clip then enter 'edit', but doesnt go straight to sharefactory app. This is the shortcut way, however for now with this 5.00 firmware, have to go from sharefactory and do the long way to edit video.

The only appropriate response. :awesome:

4 hours ago, itachi-destroyer said:

The weakest major update released on PS4 to this day imo. I don't care about most (if not all) of their new features. Is it that difficult to implement notifications removal ? That would be really cool to be able to clean notifications that are 2 years old :facepalm:

Do you not use your PS4 often? From game installs, messages, someone "liking" my activity, etc., I can only go as far back as August of this year. 

• Like 1

This update has 2 of my most wanted features. Clock on the quick menu and the ability to leave a party chat through the quick menu.

If I'm watching a video on the internet browser, I can't go to the main menu to check time without messing it up. The quick menu clock is a god send.

Also, couldn't leave party chat from PSNow. Option to leave in the quick menu fixes this.

It might not be the most "big feature" rich update ever... But there's definitely some quality of life changes that I've personally been waiting for.

Edited by KingGuy420

Definitely the most disappointed update so far. Yet, I can welcome these features:

- Custom friends lists

- Clock on Quick Menu

- Notifications in Quick Menu

- Leaving a Party in Quick Menu

- Black notifications! I missed them!

I have found hidden features!

- Clock is also on PSVR’s Quick Menu

- Trophies notifications on PSVR! It shows simply in little the trophy type (bronze, silver, gold, plat). Sad a little that it doesn’t show the trophy’s name and image but that’s just a start!

• Like 1

Basically I use my ps4 for gaming and don't care about much else, I sometimes do upload a video. I'm with the back in black crowd and think the update is worth it for that though I'm confused as to why it restarted 3 times and then had to re-build the database.

Haha i play so little ps4 dob't even remember when they changed the trophy notification color :D

But cool thing that you can leave a party now from the quick menu only option i missed there. And having a clock in that quick menu is nice too

Pls add easier access to hide/unhide ps4 games on trophy list Sony, that feature is a nightmare currently

Edited by Evil_Joker88

This update sure did screw up my console. 

The symbol for extended storage (the cylinder) kept flashing in the upper right hand corner of the home menu, where the time usually is, and would not go away. 

After installing, none of my games on my extended storage would work. There was a triangle with an exclamation mark beside almost all of them and when I tried to load them it would say "checking extended storage, please wait". 

Also none of my game updates would download/install properly. It would download part of the update, then go to a "copying" phase that I have never seen before and it would get stuck there. Then I decided to open up Pinball FX3 (which is on the extended drive and was one of the few games that worked) and as soon as I opened it up the game froze and update notifications for Lost Legacy and Doom popped up even though automatic updates are turned off. Ended up corrupting my save for Pinball FX 3 as this caused the system to basically lock up.

I ended up restarting my system multiple times and now it seems to be working normally, but its really odd that the update gave me so many troubles. 

Should I add that, for PSVR owners, that the Processor Unit now turns OFF (power light on red) instead of staying ON with the white light? Not only we don’t longer need to turn off the PS4 or to plug out the Unit to reduce the energy usage, this let our PSVR setup where they are!

Great progress Sony on the VR software! :D

Edited by Maxie Mouse

Two very useful features in this update for me...

1. Custom friends lists - I can't recall how I met half the peeps on my friends lists, so being able to organise them per-game is very useful.

2. Parental controls are invaluable if you have kids. With the recent spate of "hey cutie" and "get your psn code here" spam poisoning the PSN, I like to control who can communicate with my 4 younglings.

The clock and notification colours are useful too.

This doesn't feel like a major numerical update to me. This feels more like a 4.something. 

Some nice features, I suppose, but nothing that really excites or refreshes the PS4. It makes me worried about what 5.x updates will be. Here's hoping some really refreshing features show up in 6.0.