Speed Run trophy

Champ147

So going through the trophies and seeing this trophy I have a curious question. Since looking at the trophy description which simply reads "Completed game in speed run mode", does that mean there is no time to beat? Essentially does that mean that we can still take our time and NOT rush the game at all so long as it's done in that mode and still get that trophy? I know the speed run mode doesn't allow you to use any online features, meaning you can't borrow pawns from others and your stuck with the default ones the game gives you. But based off that description and knowing how the wording of trophies can be vague a lot of times, this seems completely possible based off that description. What are your thoughts on this? 

My understanding of the speedrun trophy is exactly as you have described; no online functionality, no access to pawns other than default ones provided etc, but with the addition that the following caveats apply:

1) The game cannot be saved and thus must be completed in one session

2) A single death will end the game and you have to start again, though Wakestone revivals are ok

Current speed record is 14 minutes..!

Sarge

5 hours ago, Sarge_Vita said:

My understanding of the speedrun trophy is exactly as you have described; no online functionality, no access to pawns other than default ones provided etc, but with the addition that the following caveats apply:

2) A single death will end the game and you have to start again, though Wakestone revivals are ok

Sarge

Woah that's unforgiving, especially for an RPG. Wonder what a "normal" speedrun would look like. 5? 10? 20 hours? 

34 minutes ago, Ekirne77 said:

So in a nutshell this speedrun is more of a hardcore version of the game where you cannot die. Not even save when you leave the game? This might be too much for my heart, lol.

No save at all, so if you leave, you'll have to start afresh.  You can pause the game though.  There's no official time in which the game has to be done in.

The good thing is that you can initiate a speed run from a save of your main game, starting the 'speed run' game with your main game's character and equipment, skills etc etc.  Anything collected new in the speed run is lost once you exit, so nothing new is gained for your main character.

2 minutes ago, Intresseklubben said:

Woah that's unforgiving, especially for an RPG. Wonder what a "normal" speedrun would look like. 5? 10? 20 hours? 

Good question; I think using an endgame save character sub 20 or even 10 hours would be doable if concentrating just on main questline

I never did it originally, but for those interested, the optimum strat for super speedrun can be seen on the DD Wiki here http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Run

Sarge

9 minutes ago, Sarge_Vita said:

No save at all, so if you leave, you'll have to start afresh.  You can pause the game though.  There's no official time in which the game has to be done in.

The good thing is that you can initiate a speed run from a save of your main game, starting the 'speed run' game with your main game's character and equipment, skills etc etc.  Anything collected new in the speed run is lost once you exit, so nothing new is gained for your main character.

Good question; I think using an endgame save character sub 20 or even 10 hours would be doable if concentrating just on main questline

I never did it originally, but for those interested, the optimum strat for super speedrun can be seen on the DD Wiki here http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Speed_Run

Sarge

So, it doesn't have to be a fresh NG? If so, that would be pretty easy. I speed ran the original a bunch so I could get my armor and weapons supercharged (I don't remember exactly what they called it when the dragon powered you up). You could do it pretty easily in 5 hours, if memory serves.

I should mention that I played prior to the Dark Arisn stuff, though, so I don't know how much time that adds.

Edited by starcrunch061

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, it doesn't have to be a fresh NG? If so, that would be pretty easy.

Correct, if the Wiki is anything to go by and on the assumption nothing has changed for the PS4 version; 'A previous save game can be used to initiate a speed run, including all earned items, skills and character development.' ?  Doesn't sound too daunting in hindsight with a bit of planning and care.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sarge_Vita said:

Sarge

Good to know on the other added caveats as I just originally heard of no online features. And 14 minutes??? Seriously how is that possible? Did this person defeat the dragon on the beach at the beginning or something? 

3 hours ago, Sarge_Vita said:

So while you can start a speed run using all of your main characters stuff is sweet but what about after the speed run? Can you still go back to that main character in that game and continue off of it if you desired after you completed the speed run? Or at least be able to go back to that character again and maybe do NG+? I think I already know the answer to the question since you can't save in the speed run but I'd like to double check. 

1 hour ago, Champ147 said:

Good to know on the other added caveats as I just originally heard of no online features. And 14 minutes??? Seriously how is that possible? Did this person defeat the dragon on the beach at the beginning or something?

You can do some prep work in advance of a Speedrun to make the process faster.  Just brainstorming, the following ideas come to mind:

• Place Portcrystals where they'll do you a lot of good, as to save time running back and forth.  Also accumulate a bunch of Ferrystones, or an Eternal Ferrystone if you can get that through the Dark Arisen content.  (Not sure if this last one is possible for the PS4 version, but it was a DD:vanilla to DD:DA upgrade if you had a vanilla save file.)  Teleport.  A lot.
  • Max out your Arisen's level and gear him/her up.  The same for your Primary Pawn.
  • Those quest items that can be stashed in storage?  Stick them there, so you can simply pull them out at the right time.
  • Do the minimum number of Quests and nothing on the side.
  • A Maker's Finger for the Dragon so you can one-shot the final boss wouldn't hurt.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Champ147 said:

Can you still go back to that main character in that game and continue off of it if you desired after you completed the speed run? Or at least be able to go back to that character again and maybe do NG+? 

Once the speedrun is completed (or quit out of), the main game can be resumed from the point the speed run was started.  Pre-warning though, a Hard Mode game save, will revert to normal difficulty after the speedrun and may void the hard mode trophy, so probably best to do the speedrun before or after the hard mode trophy run!