Catacombs on Hard Mode

brex44

Any tips for this level? I seem to be stalling out here. It's tough because you usually don't have a super big ammo clip by the time you get to Catacombs so you can't stay afloat forever. Do you ignore certain gun upgrades while in this zone? I find a machine gun/noppy to be about the only ones I can get through relatively safely with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brex44 said:

Any tips for this level? I seem to be stalling out here. It's tough because you usually don't have a super big ammo clip by the time you get to Catacombs so you can't stay afloat forever. Do you ignore certain gun upgrades while in this zone? I find a machine gun/noppy to be about the only ones I can get through relatively safely with.

The most important thing is that you use the candles on the wall. If you don't have a jetpack by this point, the candles will reset your gunboots which is crucial.  Are you using the arm spin style? Definitely the best one to use. I'd avoid shotguns at all costs, since a couple of bullets completely drain your ammo capacity. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You can use levitate style to practice all the levels, then when you finish your first playthrough you can start using arm spin style which is much faster. It may take more time, but it will make a good learning curve.

Edited by Radgeck

• 1 month later...

For me, paying attention to spikes was most helpful - jumping as soon as I hear the sound of them protruding. And of course, don't rushing things and stopping and checking the situation on every floor was crucial. Probably the most annoying was those big skulls which get crazy when you shoot them, so it's better to take them off from safe ground - jump from the ledge, shoot, come back to ledge, repeat. After several runs, you'll feel so comfortable with catacombs you'll probably finish them with good amount of health.

Good luck.

• 8 months later...

If you have the Laser or Shotgun weapon going into Catacombs, you are going to have a more difficult time.

The problem with these weapons is they tend to destroy the candles and blocks which usually are on top of the spikes. Then of course you have the ghosts, the skeletons that throw bones, the red enemies you can't jump on, and the big skulls that turn aggressive when you shoot them. Combine that with using your weapon constantly to slow your descent down the catacombs and you got yourself a recipe for frustration.

The third area where you have to collect bubbles for air isn't nearly as difficult. Of course getting the Knife and Fork upgrade is absolutely essential for Hard Mode.

If you don't get that upgrade by the time you reach the Catacombs then I highly advise restarting your run. You definitely need that upgrade to increase your chances of survival in the second area. It's pretty tough.