PS4 to Be Released in November? Plus Other Stuff

Chambers35

I'll just quote the main parts of the article for you guys and link the source ;)

A reliable Kotaku source has informed us that the PlayStation 4, codenamed Orbis, will be out this November in the United States.
there are two models planned for the new machine, and that pricing won't be announced until later this year, possibly around E3. The current plan, our source says, is to release them at $429 and $529, but that could change.
you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone
our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.
every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard

Source

:hmm: I wonder if any of that is true. I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow, although I don't know how much they're going to reveal.

Edited by Chambers35
  • Like 1

Price is reasonable, though I wonder what constitutes the different prices; more memory, increased functionality?

I was wondering that too. I'd expect it to be different memory. But there's been talks that the new pad we keep seeing might not actually be the default pad and it's something you can buy separately :hmm: Maybe the more expensive one comes with it? Edited by Chambers35

While it may be a reliable source, I think I'll wait until the announcement becomes official (maybe tomorrow). I think the price is high, but it's to be expected with how the world is today.

When you consider the PS3 launched @ $499 - $699, the 3DO launched at $750 (this was back in the 90s!), the Neo Geo cost $800(games were $150 plus!) and the PS2 was selling on eBay during its launch shortage for 700+, I think $500 is hella good.

Price is reasonable, though I wonder what constitutes the different prices; more memory, increased functionality?

Already a PS plus member so no issue there. Would be great if they upgrade their VOIP from the PS3s, only complaint I have with the PS3 really.

Agree on the VOIP. one section microsoft nailed for sure was ingame chatting and cross chats and all that. much crisper....

When you consider the PS3 launched @ $499 - $699, the 3DO launched at $750 (this was back in the 90s!), the Neo Geo cost $800(games were $150 plus!) and the PS2 was selling on eBay during its launch shortage for 700+, I think $500 is hella good.

hell yah., i have a 3do. my moms friend gave it to me years ago, but he bought it when it came out and id goto his house to play. plays burned games as there was no worry about piracy then haha.

our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

I hope this part aint true.i might still get a ps4 if so but theres no way im paying just to play online.

never really liked to play online,needing to pay for it would totally turn me off.

:unsure: If this will be released on November, what's on tomorrow? :S

they might reveal the ps4,as in give us more details about it.

dont expect them to say its in stores tomorrow cause thats just very wishfull thinking.

• Like 1

:unsure: If this will be released on November, what's on tomorrow? :S

Yeah tomorrow will be a reveal if anything, not a release.

I hope this part aint true.i might still get a ps4 if so but theres no way im paying just to play online.

never really liked to play online,needing to pay for it would totally turn me off.

I think it's referring to features such as Playstation Plus, not playing online.

• Like 1

Looking ad Xbox Gold.

You need to be sub to Gold in order to anything online like f.eks watch Netflix and even certain SP features like redeeming ingame gift from Publisher require a Gold Sub.

This is one of the reason 360 became the big loser this generation. (Don't belive me? Look ad Japanese sales charts).

Let's just for fun say PS4 require a PS Word sub to access Online.

This would mean Xbox Infinity (Next Xbox) and PS4 is basically the same and all it would come down to was Price and Release titles. (This is presuming PS4 only allow 1 account pr. system (Vita like) and Xbox Infinity gets Bluetooth, Blu-ray and Rechargeable wireless controller that last longer 3 hours on a full charge).

Sony would only lose by doing a Xbox Gold thing, since one of the main selling point (Nr. 1 is Blu-ray) is that's have Free Online, but then on the other hand it would also mean the dead of Online Pass, since it's kinda greedy to ask customers to pay twice to access Online.

But in the end it's all rumors and will most likely be adresse tonight.

Note: Kotaku may have mistranslated it, so what it meant to say was: PSN+ get's a extending call PS World, which require additional fee (most likely tied to Genkai)

Already a PS plus member so no issue there. Would be great if they upgrade their VOIP from the PS3s, only complaint I have with the PS3 really.

Pretty sure it ain't the Memory, since it mean Dev would have to program for 2 system and there could also be issue on lower system that highend system would not have (Look ad Xbox 360 4GB, which can't play Walking Dead)

I'm not too worried at the moment - and PS+ is amazing value for money - I haven't bought a game since I'm subscribed (I do pay out for DLC instead though if the game is good enough) - hopefully they keep the same idea at least

Edited by leprodigalson

if the PS4 is to come with the next gen ps eye included then the controller that we have seen the images of with the move "bar" in it must be included in the package. It makes no sense to include the eye and not the controller as this would allow for a large install base of move to allow it to be programmed for.

The only reason for 2 price points would be additional storage eg 256GB and 512GB SSD would account for a $100 difference. The technical spec of the 2 machines cannot differ much other than that.

this is not unknown - the ps3 had a 20GB and 60GB launch model with some other spec differences - USB ports being amongst those.

A PS4 as a home console must be able to support several gamer accounts. Otherwise it is not a console for the home were the kids each get their own account. No new home console is going to take the Vita option of one account per machine, a Vita is a personal device just like your 'phone and who shares phones?

A game tagged to a console is a different proposition, but again if you can have 2 machines using a PSN game why not have it that a physical game can be used by 2 machines. You can swap physical disks with your friend but only 2 can do this (verified by online services).

I will be waiting until April 2014 for my PS4 then as us Europeans (biggest market for electronics and worst regarded by manufacturers) will no doubt get the shitty end of the stick again.

• Like 1

When you put it that way, then I agree.

When you put it that way, then I agree.

Well, here's another way to put it: The Wii launched before the PS3 at $249. Then the Xbox 360 came out and, if memory serves it was somewhere in the $300's, maybe $400 tops. Then the PS3 launched at $500 and $600 for the two versions, and what happened? The PS3 started in hole that it still hasn't been able to dig itself out of, and that was even with PS3's arguably superior specs and the fact that it included Blu-Ray.

So fast forward to now. The WiiU is already on the market for $349 or less, and the next Xbox will probably launch around the same time as the PS3. My guess is it will be priced at $350-$400, and there might even be one of these super cheap options if you sign up for 2 years of Live, like they have now.

If the PS4 launches as the most expensive console by over $100, and is going to be (by all accounts) very similar to the next Xbox in terms of performance, why would we think that the results will be any better than they were with the PS3?

Having said all of that, I fully expect PS4's launch window games to be light years better than PS3's, but I'm still not sure that's enough to justify the price difference (if it turns out to be true).

Edited by onuosfan