Opinions?

Since this is such a dramatically different entry into the world of Metal Gear, I'd like to hear other people's opinions on the game so far. Is this a good direction? Are you wondering what Kojima was smoking? Let me know!

As for me, I'm a bit on the fence about it right now. I don't really feel like I've played it enough to pass judgment on it, but at the same time, I'm wondering where this fits. I like Metal Gear for stealth, not flashy visuals or rock music, but at the same time, I am enjoying it.

Welcome to PSNProfiles, SMS! I hope to see you around more. It's a cool community. I'm not giving it a rating until I finish it, but like I said, I'm enjoying it. Just not in the same sense I would enjoy a full blown affair with Big Boss or Solid Snake cardboard boxing his way around a facility.

• Like 3

I'm new to the action genre and I've only played the first two titles of Metal Gear back on the PSX, so I suppose I don't have a highly qualified opinion on it, but I'm enjoying the game so far. The codecs are amazing and the combat is fun and has just the right amount of difficulty so it feels rewarding, but doesn't cater to the masochistic crowd.

I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the action genre. Stealth fans probably won't enjoy it that much though. Seems viable, but you'd probably lose out on ranking due to it. And kinda wish I had played 3 and 4 before Rising. Codecs kinda spoiled'em.

Welcome to PSNProfiles, SMS! I hope to see you around more. It's a cool community. I'm not giving it a rating until I finish it, but like I said, I'm enjoying it. Just not in the same sense I would enjoy a full blown affair with Big Boss or Solid Snake cardboard boxing his way around a facility.

Cardboardboxing made me laugh lol

• Like 1

I don't view this as a Kojima game because he signed off and let Platinum games helm the development and I don't believe he really had anything to do with it. I know he did at one point but decided the technology wasn't there to be able to do what he wanted so he let Platinum games take over.

That's beside the point though. I love the game and think it is very fun. Of course I still enjoy true Metal Gear game much more, but when I was playing MGS4 I was thinking how badass it would be to have a game where you could play as Raiden and do all that cool shit, and look what we have now. I haven't gotten far in the game but it has certainly been fun so far.

Parker

• Like 3

I'm enjoying it. It has a lot of replay value with collectibles/weapons/etc.

The story wasn't that great. I think Kojima and his crew spent ~9 months writing the script for MGS:R and when it was molded into MGR:R they spent 1/3 of that time on a new script. It's a shame Metal Gear Solid: Rising never came to be, a lot of people wanted to see what happened to Raiden between 2 and 4, and for now we just have to settle on the MGS Database and some text.

Most of the characters were fogettable, too.

Wasn't feeling Armstrong, either. You briefly see him once (I think) before the end. And again, he was like a caricature of Volgin. It almost seems like PG tried too hard to please Metal Gear fans. Which I appreciate/understand but it took away from the game more than anything, for me. Such as characters feeling like previous MGS characters and the sub-weapons menu. The smaller easter eggs were funny/cool.

The gameplay itself is a lot of fun (especially when you get new weapons/wigs/etc). I'm currently running around as Gray Fox w/ fox blade and wreaking havoc. I'm not disappointed in dropping $60 on it.

But, I'm definitely ready to drop $150+ on some Ground Zeroes CE and more info on 5.

Edited by DC3893
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I love it honestly. It's got it's flaws, but most games do. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10. I think the games ranking system needs to be refined. It's almost impossible to get an S rank, unless you get your "No Damage" bonus. I also think some of the combat controls need refinement I think if Kojima listens to the fans, and refines this game they could make it really good. But the fact that it wasn't to popular I really doubt they will make a sequel. But I still loved the ending of the game, after the credits..

"I've got my own war to fight." Gave me chills.

Edited by PipeSwinger
  • Like 1

I love it. I just didn't like the overall aesthetic design of the last boss but I eventually learned how to like him.

I just wish they'd release the DLC for those that don't have the skins yet. It would greatly motivate more replay value.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the game and pretty much everything about. Except for the few irritating things it's got.

Mainly the camera view and how that messes up most of my fights. An option to change the view and give it a wider angle wouldn't have been too hard to manage right?

And at chapter 6 cutscene....when he's on the bike...... It's like he's going on 40 Km/h for gods sake! No no not in a rush to save millions from disaster at all.

OH BTW! Soundtrack?! Orgazmic!! Specially Sam and Monsoon fights!!

Sam's fight is cool as it is! But with the soundtrack -specially the intro- pure epic!

Edited by Taz-themlw
  • Like 2

I love the game and pretty much everything about. Except for the few irritating things it's got.

Mainly the camera view and how that messes up most of my fights. An option to change the view and give it a wider angle wouldn't have been too hard to manage right?

And at chapter 6 cutscene....when he's on the bike...... It's like he's going on 40 Km/h for gods sake! No no not in a rush to save millions from disaster at all.

OH BTW! Soundtrack?! Orgazmic!! Specially Sam and Monsoon fights!!

Sam's fight is cool as it is! But with the soundtrack -specially the intro- pure epic!

Agree 100%

That soundtrack... My personal favorite is the mistral boss fight. Dude I listen to the soundtrack every time I drive to work! Haha!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a lot harder than most hack/slash games, but really cool.

Dynamic Music(which the game itself already has a really good soundtrack)

Lots of combos based on timed button pressing

Parry which I seriously prefer over the basic dodge in games like DMC and Bayonetta.

it's about 5 hours so it's rather short and the DLCs are a bit costly for their longevity(like 1 mission and you can beat them in less than an hour).

So get them during sales(both the game and DLCs)

It's a lot harder than most hack/slash games, but really cool.

Dynamic Music(which the game itself already has a really good soundtrack)

Lots of combos based on timed button pressing

Parry which I seriously prefer over the basic dodge in games like DMC and Bayonetta.

it's about 5 hours so it's rather short and the DLCs are a bit costly for their longevity(like 1 mission and you can beat them in less than an hour).

So get them during sales(both the game and DLCs)

This part in bold is a misconception. The game isn't 5 hours long - unless you skip literally every cutscene and conversation, like the other Metal Gear titles [seriously, every Metal Gear can be completed in roughly 3 hours. There's even an emblem for doing so on the highest difficulty (That also entails not dying/continuing, getting no alerts, and using no health items.)] That final time you see when you clear the game is just your fastest time through all missions that rate your speed. It doesn't take into account cutscenes, traversal, extra, unrated battles, or anything that isn't timed.

If you die and retry, then that time gets added in to your total time for that fight, meaning that if you go back and clear that fight again without dying, your end time will be shorter - even if you finished all the other missions in a slower time in that same playthrough - because it only counts the fastest time.

The clear time isn't really an accurate depiction of how long you actually took to beat the game. I say this because, when I was reviewing it, I stayed up all night playing through it, from about 5pm when I got it - until about 3-4am when I finally saw the credits roll - and the game said I finished it in 5 hours, and unless I'm some kind of time-traveller, that just isn't possible.

With cutscenes and extra stuff, the game is at least 8-10 hours - which is fairly normal for a game like this.

The DLC is also free now for anyone who bought the game - so the cost is no issue anymore.

Edited by The Legendary Wolf
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...