Let's Play Persona 5

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Painful :oOh man. 

I was thinking Makoto but Hifumi is interesting as well :)

Not sure :hmm: probably will still go with Makoto.

I actually thought that Makoto and Hifumi made the most sense to romance and seemed like the most natural choice (hence why I picked Hifumi over Kawakami, even though I really like Kawakami). Joker is a leader and Makoto also likes to take the initiative as well and be a leader (class president, gives you advice in battle, snoops on the classmate to build her rank, etc). Seems pretty fitting to me.

I also think Hifumi is a good choice because I actually think she has a major crush on Joker (hence the required charm 3 needed). She is also a tactician and welcomes him so warmly to play games with him even though Joker is a complete amateur at Shogi. She says it's to practice moves, but how would that be effective on an amateur? Obviously, she digs him.

To me, Futaba felt more like a sister, Ann and Ryuji make a better couple, and Haru came in too late to really get a connection and for other reasons. Furthermore, Ichiko is a drunk, Kawakami is your teacher, Tae is probably 8-10 years older than Joker and seems weird for a high schooler to date a doctor, and well, Mifune is... a flower child? IDK! xD

I can already see the Futaba waifu warriors grinding their axes, so we can all agree to disagree. I'm 100% content with that! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I actually thought that Makoto and Hifumi made the most sense to romance and seemed like the most natural choice (hence why I picked Hifumi over Kawakami, even though I really like Kawakami). Joker is a leader and Makoto also likes to take the initiative as well and be a leader (class president, gives you advice in battle, snoops on the classmate to build her rank, etc). Seems pretty fitting to me.

I also think Hifumi is a good choice because I actually think she has a major crush on Joker (hence the required charm 3 needed). She is also a tactician and welcomes him so warmly to play games with him even though Joker is a complete amateur at Shogi. She says it's to practice moves, but how would that be effective on an amateur? Obviously, she digs him.

To me, Futaba felt more like a sister, Ann and Ryuji make a better couple, and Haru came in too late to really get a connection and for other reasons. Furthermore, Ichiko is a drunk, Kawakami is your teacher, Tae is probably 8-10 years older than Joker and seems weird for a high schooler to date a doctor, and well, Mifune is... a flower child? IDK! xD

I can already see the Futaba waifu warriors grinding their axes, so we can all agree to disagree. I'm 100% content with that! :)

See this is why you should just be allowed to date Yusuke :P

• Like 2

It's a real shame Hifumi's palace was cut from the game. If she was to be the group's tactician, I wonder what Makoto would be. Maybe the second in command :hmm: .

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

See this is why you should just be allowed to date Yusuke :P

Lol, maybe if P5 is re-released on the PS5 it'll get a female route.

4 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

To me, Futaba felt more like a sister

Sojiro's reaction on Valentine's Day was hilarious though. :lol: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

starts grinding and sharpening several axes........ what i gotta keep these things sharp nah i just always felt like out of everyone futaba was just the better choice yea she does work as a sister figure aswell not denying but like u said anne and ryuge always seemed a better match, mokoto actually always struck me as the team big sister, dating the teacer or the doctor woulda been a bit awkward, hifumi i just never felt a real connection too and haru always struck me as abit airy in the head but also she just so busy with her plants and her buisness i dont think it would ever really work out as anything but a marrying for money on jokers part, and the hippy oracle lady just never hit me as even an option she was cool and all but nahhh and the reporter lady.... isnt just a drunk shes a sodden drunk shes cool but joker would constantly be dragging her out of bars every day lol

13 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

futaba is life

futaba is love

futaba is cute

futaba is adorable

futaba is the queen

futaba is the only real choice the rest are pretenders

Not enough Japanese adjectives but...

This guy speaks absolute truth!

11 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

And what better waifu there is than your imouto? :awesome: 

7 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

It's a real shame Hifumi's palace was cut from the game. If she was to be the group's tactician, I wonder what Makoto would be. Maybe the second in command :hmm: .

Lol, maybe if P5 is re-released on the PS5 it'll get a female route.

Sojiro's reaction on Valentine's Day was hilarious though. :lol: 

and why can't 2 guys date in this game? I mean you saw us on the boat. That brother/sister team acknowledge that in the big city those types of relationships can happen :)

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

and why can't 2 guys date in this game? I mean you saw us on the boat. That brother/sister team acknowledge that in the big city those types of relationships can happen :)

Maybe because Akira isn't gay? The way I see it, you're playing as an established character, and all of the choices you're given in the game are something he could conceivably make. You're merely influencing which one he should go with. And besides, it's never explicitly stated that Yusuke is gay. It's not a BioWare game (thank God), so I don't see why you should be given the option to fuck anything that moves. :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Maybe because Akira isn't gay? The way I see it, you're playing as an established character, and all of the choices you're given in the game are something he could conceivably make. You're merely influencing which one he should go with. And besides, it's never explicitly stated that Yusuke is gay. It's not a BioWare game (thank God), so I don't see why you should be given the option to fuck anything that moves. :P

But you can date any female character so what is the difference? I mean if you have the ability to romance every female...why can't you also do it with the men?

How is Yusuke any more out there than dating your teacher or doctor? 

19 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But you can date any female character so what is the difference? I mean if you have the ability to romance every female...why can't you also do it with the men?

How is Yusuke any more out there than dating your teacher or doctor? 

Well, not every female... And like I said, Akira is already an established character in that world. He existed long before you took control of him during the events of the game, so you'd think he would already have figured out what his sexuality is by now. :P I don't see what the issue is with Atlus just saying he's straight. If it's a game where you can create your own character, sure, let them be whatever sexuality the player chooses. Not every game has to be like that, though.

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, not every female... And like I said, Akira is already an established character in that world. He existed long before you took control of him during the events of the game, so you'd think he would already have figured out what his sexuality is by now. :P I don't see what the issue is with Atlus just saying he's straight. If it's a game where you can create your own character, sure, let them be whatever sexuality the player chooses. Not every game has to be like that, though.

They are high school students...I don't think they have any idea who they are. 

I know some people think homosexuality is icky but this is a game where I can date my teacher and have her call me master...but you can't date the art student? 

I mean this started off as an innocent comment about how much I liked the Yusuke character (because I thought he was funny) but now I am just confused why you are so opposed to the idea of two men being together.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

They are high school students...I don't think they have any idea who they are. 

I know some people think homosexuality is icky but this is a game where I can date my teacher and have her call me master...but you can't date the art student? 

I mean this started off as an innocent comment about how much I liked the Yusuke character (because I thought he was funny) but now I am just confused why you are so opposed to the idea of two men being together.

He's what, like 16 or 17 in the game? Pretty sure most people have figured that out by that age.

I don't think you really get the point I was trying to make, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I'm not opposed to homosexuality in the slightest, but that doesn't mean I think it should be forced into every game. Let the developers make the kind of game they want to make.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

He's what, like 16 or 17 in the game? Pretty sure most people have figured that out by that age.

I don't think you really get the point I was trying to make, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. I'm not opposed to homosexuality in the slightest, but that doesn't mean I think it should be forced into every game. Let the developers make the kind of game they want to make.

You think people who are 16 or 17 know what they want to do? I mean just look at the Lovers confident. Ann changes her mind on what she wants to do from Rank to Rank. Also most people that age are just trying to figure themselves out and are often swayed by those around them (trying to be "normal). Why do you think there are so many Teen suicides of people who were afraid to come out. 

I am not trying to put words in your mouth but it comes across as pretty evident when you are allowed to date pretty much everyone but can't date a man if you want. I mean if there were 1 or 2 romance options and that was it I would leave it at that but since you can date the reporter, the teacher, the doctor or basically any other female you talk to then there are no rules.

You also said not to mess with the character because he has a history. I googled it and there is a Manga and that is it. First off that is not 60 years of history we are messing with...and second people change characters all the time based on who is writing it. I mean look at Deadpool, that isn't really the same character we started off with and most people loves the new character. Hell they made Batgirl a lesbian after decades of history so how is it any different.

I am not saying every game needs a Male/Female protagonist or homosexual relationships but in a game where the story is about High School kids trying to come to grips with who they are and how they fit in this world...I don't think it is such an extreme idea.

You think people who are 16 or 17 know what they want to do? I mean just look at the Lovers confident. Ann changes her mind on what she wants to do from Rank to Rank. Also most people that age are just trying to figure themselves out and are often swayed by those around them (trying to be "normal). Why do you think there are so many Teen suicides of people who were afraid to come out. 

I am not trying to put words in your mouth but it comes across as pretty evident when you are allowed to date pretty much everyone but can't date a man if you want. I mean if there were 1 or 2 romance options and that was it I would leave it at that but since you can date the reporter, the teacher, the doctor or basically any other female you talk to then there are no rules.

You also said not to mess with the character because he has a history. I googled it and there is a Manga and that is it. First off that is not 60 years of history we are messing with...and second people change characters all the time based on who is writing it. I mean look at Deadpool, that isn't really the same character we started off with and most people loves the new character. Hell they made Batgirl a lesbian after decades of history so how is it any different.

I am not saying every game needs a Male/Female protagonist or homosexual relationships but in a game where the story is about High School kids trying to come to grips with who they are and how they fit in this world...I don't think it is such an extreme idea.

Didn't everyone fight that people are born a certain way and not choose? I mean rl. So by highschool they have an idea I would think. I had gay friends in high school. 

But really I think it's ok that everything doesn't have to be politically correct or have choices for the sake of just being there in a game. 

And besides Yusuke isn't gay. We see that in the game. 

And I'm not against homosexuality, I'm pro gay marriage. 

But I agree if it doesn't make sense to the character, or the other character that you're trying to seduce, then it shouldn't be there. Persona is a great rpg series, I wouldn't want them putting things in for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Didn't everyone fight that people are born a certain way and not choose? I mean rl. So by highschool they have an idea I would think. I had gay friends in high school. 

But really I think it's ok that everything doesn't have to be politically correct or have choices for the sake of just being there in a game. 

And besides Yusuke isn't gay. We see that in the game. 

And I'm not against homosexuality, I'm pro gay marriage. 

But I agree if it doesn't make sense to the character, or the other character that you're trying to seduce, then it shouldn't be there. Persona is a great rpg series, I wouldn't want them putting things in for the sake of it. 

Maybe, or maybe that person comes from a very strict religious family where that sort of thing isn't allowed? I am just saying thinking High School kids know what they want is crazy. Things might be getting better but there are still a lot of teen suicides for a reason.

Anyways all my point is it doesn't make sense to romance any of the adults but that is all in the game as well...so what is the difference?  I mean this is a game that has a mafia boss forcing teenagers into prostitution, high schoolers working at fetish bars, teachers forcing themselves onto underage girls for sexual favours, a teacher giving her student (whom she calls master) massages so he can do more at night and a whole bunch of other stuff.

So nothing is out of the realm of possibility. I mean you already had gay characters (the two guys that force themselves on Ryuji and possibly the Transwoman that works at Crossroads) so it isn't that far out there.

Besides I only brought up Yusuke because he is my favourite character and I don't particularly care for any of the females in this game (unlike Chie in P4G). I am going to pick Makoto but I would much rather have picked Yusuke. I would have probably dropped it as a joke but then @Undead Wolf made such a big deal about it I decided to push it further. It is what Forum Boards are for and why these Let's Play threads are interesting because it involves a bunch of different people playing a certain game and giving their point of view on it.

So we can drop it if you like but just understand that a woman twice your age calling you Master is a lot more creepy than dating a guy in High School. That is all I am saying.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

ok my 2 cents on why main character cant and wont date any of the guy characters, 

Spoiler

sojiro to old and a father figure, the tower kid  too young thats illigal,  ryuji has really bad homophobia the actual phobia not the slang term we use for idiots you see this when he is utterly terrified of the gay couple from town and on the beach he is completly terrified, yusuke is too wrapped up in art to know if he even has romantic feelings, as for aketchi eh i got the feeling he had a thing for main character but sadly events prevented us from ever knowing, gun shop guy is ex yakuza and i dont think its his style plus he has a kid around main character age so thats probably a no go, and the politician guy i think is married? not sure but i dont think dating a minor would go great on that already tainted list of things hes dealing with

so all in all i dont think its so much main character is just super into the ladies i think the guys are just too busy for his loving................ besides futaba......he can have futaba shes the best anyway i guess if main character wanted some lump in his rump he can get her a toy i think shed probably be into it she is kinda...... freaky

Edited by BlindMango
Put possible spoilers in a spoiler tag

15 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

The way I see it, you're playing as an established character, and all of the choices you're given in the game are something he could conceivably make. You're merely influencing which one he should go with.

Exactly! He's established to love Futaba! :awesome: 

12 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

but just understand that a woman twice your age calling you Master is a lot more creepy than dating a guy in High School. 

This is very western mentality, you know :awesome: 

Maids are maids regardless of age, it's absolutely normal for them to call their Masters Goshujin-sama :awesome: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Exactly! He's established to love Futaba! :awesome: 

This is very western mentality, you know :awesome: 

Maids are maids regardless of age, it's absolutely normal for them to call their Masters Goshujin-sama :awesome: 

yes, but you do know that these maids were sex workers so by calling their men masters it made them sex slaves? I mean that is a sub-plot of the game about getting women in financial crisis to force them into sexual servitude? 

17 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I thought Yusuke wasn't gay because he seems to have a crush on Ann :hmm: , unless I misunderstood that and it was purely artistic interest, though I guess he could always be bi :dunno: .

Anyway, feel free to discuss it.

I knew a guy that came out at 30 after being married for 10 years and dated women all through high school. He was part of my church and he didn't even know he was gay but was always unhappy (they just thought he was depressed) but now he is living a great life with his partner. 

The point isn't "this guy is gay or this guy isn't gay" the point of my arguments is if you are allowed to date 15 year olds (futaba) or your 30 year old teacher..why is it so weird that you can date a guy. 

I just don't understand why some people here are so opposed to it. It isn't that unusual. I mean I know people keep saying "it isn't in the character" but this is a stand alone game (with a manga) so it isn't like you are destroying decades of lore.

But honestly in the end I am just sorry I brought the whole thing up. I was making a simple comment how I found Yusuke to be my favourite character and since I find all the girls to be either annoying or boring it would be the most interesting to date him (I mean with his spaced out dialog, his funny quips about money or the fact that he bought 2 lobsters not to eat but to just enjoy). 

Then when it felt like people got upset that 2 guys shouldn't date in a video game about high schoolers finding themselves then I got a little defensive because it seems that people were literally missing the point of the game. I guess it is just sad that in 2018 people are more comfortable being allowed to date a 15 year old or a 30 year old reporter...but are confused or upset about being allowed to date a guy WHICH THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO DO IF THEY DIDN'T PICK THAT OPTION. 

So whatever I will just stick to progress updates instead.  I am done with summer and will be going on the class trip next.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

30 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

I knew a guy that came out at 30 after being married for 10 years and dated women all through high school. He was part of my church and he didn't even know he was gay but was always unhappy (they just thought he was depressed) but now he is living a great life with his partner. 

The point isn't "this guy is gay or this guy isn't gay" the point of my arguments is if you are allowed to date 15 year olds (futaba) or your 30 year old teacher..why is it so weird that you can date a guy. 

I just don't understand why some people here are so opposed to it. It isn't that unusual. I mean I know people keep saying "it isn't in the character" but this is a stand alone game (with a manga) so it isn't like you are destroying decades of lore.

But honestly in the end I am just sorry I brought the whole thing up. I was making a simple comment how I found Yusuke to be my favourite character and since I find all the girls to be either annoying or boring it would be the most interesting to date him (I mean with his spaced out dialog, his funny quips about money or the fact that he bought 2 lobsters not to eat but to just enjoy). 

Then when it felt like people got upset that 2 guys shouldn't date in a video game about high schoolers finding themselves then I got a little defensive because it seems that people were literally missing the point of the game. I guess it is just sad that in 2018 people are more comfortable being allowed to date a 15 year old or a 30 year old reporter...but are confused or upset about being allowed to date a guy WHICH THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO DO IF THEY DIDN'T PICK THAT OPTION. 

So whatever I will just stick to progress updates instead.  I am done with summer and will be going on the class trip next.

I'm not against dating guys in video games, because, as you say, it's optional and no one would force people to date a guy or a girl. I remember Life is Strange having the option to kiss a guy and a girl and people got all upset about the MC's preference, while it all came down to what players chose to do. They could choose to kiss one, both, or no one. P4G had Kanji and there wasn't an option to date him, so I'd say the developers just didn't want to add it.

The argument about the MC being an established character does not make much sense to me, because the background doesn't really matter, as players decide what to do during a playthrough, what kind of responses to give, etc. He could stay faithful to 1 romance or be a playboy and date them all. The established character doesn't impact that in the slightest. So IMO it's odd that it should impact the MC's preference.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

yes, but you do know that these maids were sex workers so by calling their men masters it made them sex slaves? I mean that is a sub-plot of the game about getting women in financial crisis to force them into sexual servitude? 

So what you're saying is that maids = sex slaves? Why didn't anyone tell me? :awesome:

Literally nobody is saying that's weird. What I'm saying is that not every game needs that option, and if the developers want the main character to be straight, then so be it. Akira isn't a blank slate like the main character from a Bioware game is. What I do find weird, though, is your insistence that the developers should have changed their vision for the game and characters to suit your interests.

I guess it is just sad that in 2018 people are more comfortable being allowed to date a 15 year old or a 30 year old reporter...but are confused or upset about being allowed to date a guy WHICH THEY WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE TO DO IF THEY DIDN'T PICK THAT OPTION.

Ahh, "it's the current year" argument. Gotta love those. I can tell you must watch John Oliver a lot. :lol:

• Like 1

Kanji is definitely not gay. He just didn't want to acknowledge his feminine side (liking plushies and stuff).

As for P5's MC, it could have been a good opportunity to make his dating range wider. I don't have a lot of love for the female characters in this game, except for Tae, and it would have been kinda fun to court Ryuji, Yusuke, or even the guy from the fake artillery shop. The Valentine's Day event with Ryuji is hilarious btw.

Now, if I remember correctly, homosexuality in Japan is still not well received yet while you can see hosts (male and female) strolling down the streets at night and nobody cares. When you see a gay couple in a movie or in a TV series, it is often used for the sake of comedy, never in a serious way. I don't think Atlus would implement the possibility of serious gay relationships in such a big franchise. It would not be well received in Japan. 

But that's just my two cents on the topic. 

Edited by Myu
  • Like 2