Digital Rights in Death

tpepper1985

If you read thoroughly the legal mumbo jumbo of PSN you have no rights whatsoever, all you have is the right to use something as long as they want. You basically bought their goodwill. Digital rights of your purchases, at least on PSN, are irrelevant as the question is only when will Sony tell you that you just lost them, not if it happens.

So don't worry about what will happen to digital rights when dying, they'll be long gone before that.

I do prefer physical games because of this.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, cris3f said:

If you read thoroughly the legal mumbo jumbo of PSN you have no rights whatsoever, all you have is the right to use something as long as they want. You basically bought their goodwill. Digital rights of your purchases, at least on PSN, are irrelevant as the question is only when will Sony tell you that you just lost them, not if it happens.

So don't worry about what will happen to digital rights when dying, they'll be long gone before that.

This is the most accurate answer. Forget rights after you die; you don't have any right to that content right now.

In many ways, I think these companies that have found very legitimate legal ways to separate themselves from lasting responsibility are just setting up the social problems of tomorrow.

Ebay has no stock. Other people pay to store and ship everything; it's amazing! Uber doesn't employ its drivers. Youtube doesn't employ its content creators. They've found such effective ways to give themselves such arbitrary power. They're innovative companies that are trying to protect themselves in a world where everyone wants a piece of you, everyone wants to spin eye-rolling legal scenarios where you have to pay them. They're trying to survive. But in the process, they're laying the groundwork for a world without ownership. You sit in a house that belongs to the bank, with a car outside in the driveway owned by the leasing company, and play video games owned by PSN, and your actual rights to any of it are very carefully limited, and if you try to press your rights, you've already agreed to binding arbitration.

Edited by rdhight
  • Like 1

On October 6, 2017 at 2:12 AM, tpepper1985 said:

I know there are a section of gamers who will scream physical media as the solution to this but physical media is in decline and you are kidding yourself if you think it will always exist, eventually it will go the way of PC game media.

lol, people always say this nonsense. CDs are still produced even though everyone always drones on about how no one buys them. Hmmmmmm. 

Nevermind companies established for the purpose of bringing physical media back to indie games. Hell this gen tons of indie games for physical releases. 

You're kidding yourself.  

4 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

lol, people always say this nonsense. CDs are still produced even though everyone always drones on about how no one buys them. Hmmmmmm. 

Nevermind companies established for the purpose of bringing physical media back to indie games. Hell this gen tons of indie games for physical releases. 

You're kidding yourself.  

Music CDs? I don't know anyone who has purchased one in the last decade they still sell them in big stores but all the dedicated music shops are long gone here maybe a small audience still buys them - probably old people but I seriously doubt the up and coming generation are all about buying music CDs

But you have to wonder how long it will be until a console manufacturer releases a console without a disc drive, I'm pretty convinced it's going to happen even if they released it in addition to a console with a disk drive but at a reduced price. I have not used my PS4 disk drive once, it if the PS5 came in two units one for 400 with a disk drive and one for 350 without a disk drive I do wonder which unit would come out on top - at least in parts of the world with good internet access.

On 8-10-2017 at 8:30 AM, rdhight said:

You sit in a house that belongs to the bank, with a car outside in the driveway owned by the leasing company, and play video games owned by PSN, and your actual rights to any of it are very carefully limited, and if you try to press your rights, you've already agreed to binding arbitration.

I like this paragraph, very depressing but true haha! If you live in a country where you pay inheritance tax that makes it even worse ;-)

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

Music CDs? I don't know anyone who has purchased one in the last decade they still sell them in big stores but all the dedicated music shops are long gone here maybe a small audience still buys them - probably old people but I seriously doubt the up and coming generation are all about buying music CDs

But you have to wonder how long it will be until a console manufacturer releases a console without a disc drive, I'm pretty convinced it's going to happen even if they released it in addition to a console with a disk drive but at a reduced price. 

I like this paragraph, very depressing but true haha! If you live in a country where you pay inheritance tax that makes it even worse ;-)

I have a Spotify account and I also buy my music physically :)

(And I'm 25 not sure if I am your generation or not)

6 minutes ago, Shurax_Urden said:

I have a Spotify account and I also buy my music physically :)

(And I'm 25 not sure if I am your generation or not)

I'm 32, think the last CD I purchased was around 10 years ago. But I'm not heavily into it so that's maybe why ... Stream a few songs and listen to the radio is good enough for me.

But I was thinking more about the kids growing up now, with a tablet in hand who only know YouTube, Netflix and Spotify. If you see how young kids interact with media now it's pretty crazy, I have seen 3 year olds who can use an iPad, I was playing with blocks and action figures at that age

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

I'm 32, think the last CD I purchased was around 10 years ago. But I'm not heavily into it so that's maybe why ... Stream a few songs and listen to the radio is good enough for me.

But I was thinking more about the kids growing up now, with a tablet in hand who only know YouTube, Netflix and Spotify. If you see how young kids interact with media now it's pretty crazy, I have seen 3 year olds who can use an iPad, I was playing with blocks and action figures at that age

Regarding to that I saw a video the other day in which a three years old girl was trying to play an old Game Boy... and she was trying to press the screen instead of using the buttons... It was like "Oh, I am so old" hahahaha

What you say it's true nowadays with all the streaming content we can get it will be more difficult day by day to found the content physically... And usually more expensive too hahahaha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tpepper1985 said:

But you have to wonder how long it will be until a console manufacturer releases a console without a disc drive, I'm pretty convinced it's going to happen even if they released it in addition to a console with a disk drive but at a reduced price. I have not used my PS4 disk drive once, it if the PS5 came in two units one for 400 with a disk drive and one for 350 without a disk drive I do wonder which unit would come out on top - at least in parts of the world with good internet access.

And you are the universe. It's not like even vinyl came back or anything... Wait, it did.

You and what you do doesn't change anything. People have been saying "no one buys CDs" for years. At least a decade. In yet, here we are. They're still sold, people still buy them. Even indie, independent artists put out CDs. That's a prime example of how the argument that "hurr durr digital future" is wrong. The same people ignore other industries that still produce physical media when everyone *thinks* they are already "digital only". Since THEY don't buy them. But, they aren't.

And music shops fail because they're generally overpriced over regular stores, not because no one buys physical media. And despite having "more" than say, Walmart, they still don't have enough selection, and that's just an issue with brick and mortar itself. Online shopping shits on brick and mortar.

I guess since electronic stores go out of business, Toys-R-Us having problems, that no one buys electronics or toys either.

19 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

And you are the universe.

Hey it's just an opinion, like yours. 

I'm not saying physical will cease to exist, but it's declining year on year for a long time at some moment it will become as you say "Niche" maybe it will always be supported by the console manufactureres I simply don't see it and yes this is my opnion maybe my opinion is wrong, maybe there will always be enough people all over the world who still want to buy discs. We will see in the next 10-20 years probably.

8 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

But you have to wonder how long it will be until a console manufacturer releases a console without a disc drive

PSP Go was released years ago. Sadly, that console without drive for physical media died even earlier, than declining CDs.

Edited by Se7en
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Se7en said:

PSP Go was released years ago. Sadly, that console without drive for physical media died even earlier, than declining CDs.

It's even more notable considering the PSP was famous for its rampant piracy (and pirated games are, by definition, digital). And yet, the only one of the PSP's models to have been a major flop was indeed the one with no physical media (it could have also been because its design was terrible, but anyway).

It could have even been Sony's way of testing the waters with a digital-only console, who knows?

11 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

I still buy my music via CDs - I've never downloaded a song in my life.  Same goes for movies - I go out and buy DVDs or Blu-Rays.  I just prefer having a physical collection of media on my shelves.  This applies to books as well.

And I'm only a few years older than you. :P

• Like 2

I was once a physical media guy, but getting away from that mentality was very freeing. It seems silly in this day and age to be filling a house with physical items that could be simply digital. I love the notion that shelves and shelves of stuff has been completely replaced by a kindle, an iPad, a phone and a couple of 10TB drives.

I don’t buy into the paranoiac, delusional idea that the content owners will just decide one day to remove the rights of the users - for two reasons:

1. They are companies with reputations. They have future money streams thet they wouldn’t want to destroy. Doing that would be catastrophic to their customer relations.

2. Even if, by some bizarre confluence of events, that did happen, there are hundreds of thousands of talanted hackers that would immediately fill the gap left in the market by those companies.

I remember saying that I would never give up my 400+ collection of VHS tapes. But guess what happened? I replaced them with dvds. I then said I would never get rid of my 3000+ dvd collection. But guess what happened? Blu Rays. Nah. Physical media is - to me - a dying form of storage.

In the 21st century, the ability to have a home free of clutter is far more important.

I think the only reason people fill up bookshelves and dvd shelves and games shelves is to display their tastes to anyone who sees them. I mean, why else would anyone fill a bookshelf with books they have already read? That ‘ooohhhh, just look at my impeccable taste’ desire fades with age.

I don’t need to show off my taste in media to other people, as I am no more interested in anyone elses opinion of what I like than I am interested in what they like.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In the 21st century, the ability to have a home free of clutter is far more important.

I think the only reason people fill up bookshelves and dvd shelves and games shelves is to display their tastes to anyone who sees them. I mean, why else would anyone fill a bookshelf with books they have already read? That ‘ooohhhh, just look at my impeccable taste’ desire fades with age.

I don’t need to show off my taste in media to other people, as I am no more interested in anyone elses opinion of what I like than I am interested in what they like.

Personally, I find a full shelf aesthetically pleasing. I refuse to have people over, so no one sees my shelves - I just like how they look. I'm about 50/50 with digital and physical, but being able to resell physical games that I no longer want is really nice for someone with limited income.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GlennRhee said:

Personally, I find a full shelf aesthetically pleasing. I refuse to have people over, so no one sees my shelves - I just like how they look. I'm about 50/50 with digital and physical, but being able to resell physical games that I no longer want is really nice for someone with limited income.

That’s true - the resale thing is a benefit to physical (and one I availed myself of many a time) but it seems to have lost some of it’s benefit in recent times, given how good the sale prices have become on digital stuff in the stores.

took them a long time to start doing good digital prices, but it is so much better than it was, even 5 years ago. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Here I was expecting a morbid topic about legal phantoms and entertainment philosophies, but it seems to have been turned into fuel for a recurring PS I Love You XOXO skit.

What? Too soon?

Personally, as much as I like vidya gaems, I've never once thought about putting monetary value to any of it, let alone who gets my stuff if I do die. Entertainment is basically bought with low key fuck you money anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

And yet vinyl was the best selling music medium last year...

• Like 1

I'm gonna support side that says that none of physical forms are actually dying. They are being pushed to make room for new ways of distribution, so they can share market. I'm working in the oldest of physical entertainment media - books - and we've heard all those harbingers of paper books' fall because of ebooks. Nope, not happening at all. We just found another way to distribute books. 

As for overwhelming digitalization of distribution of games - one or two of future cases when gamers ceased to be able to reach theirs virtual library and we will have renaissance of physical copies of games ;)

• Like 2

on digital download you only buy the license key and not the actual game, you already agree to the terms and all that since the day you made your PSN, XBL and Steam account, paying the money for the digital contents is only for the license and so they'll agree to let you use the contents.

breaking the agreement by hacking your console or game sharing and pirating result the publisher to have the go to take away these downloaded contents from you, or even shutting down your account.

this BS is starting to crawl towards physical games too, starting from the hilarious DRM practice that Micro$oft have tried to throw to the public and wanted it's competitors to follow suit with the announcement of the XBONE and I thought the PS3 announcement was bad )

not all of them, but now the majority of single player games required an Internet access for them to works, some single player games even still have online trophies that linked to the leader board of the game where the only way to get them is to hooked up the game to the internet "looking at you Rise of the Tom..... Loot Boxes"

On 6/10/2017 at 11:19 AM, Kapika96 said:

Well you can give someone your account details and they can play all your games on it now, I don't see why that would be any different after you die. Not as if I plan on dying anyways...

Yeah lol this, they can't prove it's always been the same person who used the account. I could teach someone else (i.e. my father or sister) how to manage my account(s) and deal with customer service, tell them my passwords and other info...

19 hours ago, Se7en said:

And they even said it was impossible to pirate because of the non-removable battery... guess what now lol.

Edited by Lance_87

9 hours ago, Devil_Spooky said:

It outperformed every other medium, CDs and paid downloads, only came behind streaming services.

I'd like to read about it I assume you read this somewhere because I find it hard to beleive, do you have a source you can link? The only thing I can find is this happened for 1 week in 2016 before Chirstmas, because people were buying vinyl as gifts for Christmas and this happened in the UK.

If this is what you mean we are not really talking about the same thing here ...

Edited by tpepper1985

I wouldn't mind seeing that, too. I have doubts that vinyl sales outperform every other medium. Now, given the premium which vinyl commands, I could believe that its margins were the most robust, but if vinyl was really THAT good, I feel like I would see a lot more of it at media stores. But I would be happily proven wrong.

On 10/10/2017 at 6:41 AM, Lance_87 said:

And they even said it was impossible to pirate because of the non-removable battery... guess what now lol.

You know, I wish Sony and other types would stop saying this shit. I'm gonna let you all in on a secret - there are a lot of smart nerds with a lot of time on their hands. Given focus, they'll hack and pirate everything...

Edited by starcrunch061