Cuphead being the hardest!? Hell nah!

slaveknight09

So I see some of you guys here criticizing Cuphead being the hardest game you've played. Have you even heard or played, Contra especially the 3rd one, Megaman 1-3, Ghost n goblins, Ninja Gaiden on Nes etc..

and yeah those were the most satisfying feeling when you have beaten any of these games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slaveknight09 said:

So I see some of you guys here criticizing Cuphead being the hardest game you've played. Have you even heard or played, Contra especially the 3rd one, Megaman 1-3, Ghost n goblins, Ninja Gaiden on Nes etc..

and yeah those were the most satisfying feeling when you have beaten any of these games.

The most amazing part about the difficulty on the NES games is that some of them only lasted an hour or less if you did a no die speedrun but that was almost impossible because of how hard the games were. No checkpoints, no respawns and only 3 lives to begin with and when you died you started all the way back to the beginning of the game. 

So in comparison to (two girls one ^_^) CUPHEAD is has no shit (pun intented) on how difficult the games were back then

21 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

The most amazing part about the difficulty on the NES games is that some of them only lasted an hour or less if you did a no die speedrun but that was almost impossible because of how hard the games were. No checkpoints, no respawns and only 3 lives to begin with and when you died you started all the way back to the beginning of the game. 

So in comparison to (two girls one ^_^) CUPHEAD is has no shit (pun intented) on how difficult the games were back then

Mega Man doesn't put you back at the start at all. You just have to restart the level again, but if you've finished 3 of them they're still finished if you die in the next one. It also had checkpoints.

And what you describe is artificial difficulty, and the reason why it was there; because if it wasn't, you'd be spending $60+ on a few hours worth of entertainment. It was not a good thing.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, opinions of how *hard* or *easy* game is based on the person. 

For example

Someone could say Super Meat Boy is easssssyyyy peaaaasssyyyy

While someone else can say, OMG THIS GAME IS SO F*CKING DIFFICULT. 

So yea.... opinions man

Just how it works lol

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, syumisan said:

At the end of the day, opinions of how *hard* or *easy* game is based on the person. 

For example

Someone could say Super Meat Boy is easssssyyyy peaaaasssyyyy

While someone else can say, OMG THIS GAME IS SO F*CKING DIFFICULT. 

So yea.... opinions man

Just how it works lol

Yea, but there's usually a general consensus. There will always be outliers in every sample group. I think you'll find most people think SMB is pretty tough. You'll get a few people here and there were it was easy for them, but they are few and far between. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 5:18 PM, Phil said:

Yea, but there's usually a general consensus. There will always be outliers in every sample group. I think you'll find most people think SMB is pretty tough. You'll get a few people here and there were it was easy for them, but they are few and far between. 

It's just a random game I thought of for the example. But that's basically it. How hard is something is just based on opinion. In the end, just enjoy the games :) That's what they are made for hahaha

Edited by Shiny Suicune

Oh no how dare someone not like the difficulty of a game or not have played much harder games

Personally, the difficulty isn't as much of an issue for me as the "start all over from the beginning", that's honestly more annoying than actually difficult

14 hours ago, slaveknight09 said:

If people are saying that Cuphead is the hardest game they've ever played then perhaps it is in fact the hardest game they've ever played.  

You start by pointing out that people are saying that Cuphead is the hardest game they've played and then proceed to ask if they've played some games that you consider to be harder.  I know time is a complicated thing but it doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility that some of these people have never played a game that is harder to them than Cuphead.  As others have pointed out, difficulty is subjective, meaning what is hard for you may not be hard for others.  Imagine for a moment that I said 720p is the best video quality I have ever seen.  If someone chimes in and says, "psssh, have you never seen 1080p".  If I've never seen 1080p video before then my original statement is in fact true, 720p would be the best quality video I had ever seen.  

“How very wet this water is.” 

-L. Frank Baum

• Like 2

As a kid, we never cared to finish games. It was just to play them with friends. Half of them we didn't think could be "beat". It also helps that most games had no storyline anyway, so it's not like you craved a conclusion to anything.

I prefer games to be relaxing these days, so I prefer games without frustration. I like challenge in strategy games or old-school RPGs like Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity, but not in games like Super Meatboy or anything like that. Too frustrating to be enjoyable for me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Phil said:

Kids, man. What are you gonna do? Now-a-days, kids would rather spend money on loot boxes so they don't have to farm or grind. You really think they've played an old school difficult classic? Of course not. I'd be surprised if 1/2 the gamers today could beat the first encounter with Bald Bull on MTPO.

There's a Youtube series called Kids React, or something like that where kids are told to play older games, or watch older movies and do things that have long been out of fashion.

It's funny, because these kids literally have no fucking idea what they're doing. There were a number of NES games I played where I came close to beating them, or did beat them. Those kids wouldn't get past the first couple levels in them.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out was definitely a great game. Bald Bull was easy after the first attempt. Mike Tyson himself, that's a different story.

20 minutes ago, Paige-ID said:

As a kid, we never cared to finish games. It was just to play them with friends. Half of them we didn't think could be "beat". It also helps that most games had no storyline anyway, so it's not like you craved a conclusion to anything.

I prefer games to be relaxing these days, so I prefer games without frustration. I like challenge in strategy games or old-school RPGs like Baldur's Gate/Pillars of Eternity, but not in games like Super Meatboy or anything like that. Too frustrating to be enjoyable for me.

Same here. Played all the Mario and Sonic games available on the NES, SNES and Genesis. Didn't bother to finish most of them, as a matter of fact it wasn't until many years later that I did get around to beating them.

I'm the same way. Most of the games on my profile are fairly easy, I usually don't play challenging games much, if at all. I do have Super Meat Boy because I wanted to know how challenging it was. Oh boy. Cotton Alley is just brutal.

I didn't play Baldurs Gate until many years after it's release. I loved Might and Magic 6 and 7 although they weren't as good. Also played Starcraft and a little bit of Half Life. 1998 was just a phenomenal year in gaming. So many all time greats that I don't think that year will ever be replicated.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There's a Youtube series called Kids React, or something like that where kids are told to play older games, or watch older movies and do things that have long been out of fashion.

It's funny, because these kids literally have no fucking idea what they're doing. There were a number of NES games I played where I came close to beating them, or did beat them. Those kids wouldn't get past the first couple levels in them.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out was definitely a great game. Bald Bull was easy after the first attempt. Mike Tyson himself, that's a different story.

Same here. Played all the Mario and Sonic games available on the NES, SNES and Genesis. Didn't bother to finish most of them, as a matter of fact it wasn't until many years later that I did get around to beating them.

I'm the same way. Most of the games on my profile are fairly easy, I usually don't play challenging games much, if at all. I do have Super Meat Boy because I wanted to know how challenging it was. Oh boy. Cotton Alley is just brutal.

I didn't play Baldurs Gate until many years after it's release. I loved Might and Magic 6 and 7 although they weren't as good. Also played Starcraft and a little bit of Half Life. 1998 was just a phenomenal year in gaming. So many all time greats that I don't think that year will ever be replicated.

It was super painful watching them die over and over on level 1-1 Mario bros

What I do think is silly is how difficulty is focused on as if it was like the reason to get the game. Something dies inside of me whenever I see it mentioned in relation to Dark Souls. :( Those games aren't even difficult (Demon's 3/10, Dark 4/10, Dark 2 5/10, Bloodborne 5/10 IMO, and this is not really my real opinion on the difficulty, because they are like 1-2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 4/10 to me) and people play them because they are "difficult". This is not meant as "I'm better than you", but rather pointing out how ridiculous this stuff is. I enjoy those games for completely different reasons.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 4