Let's Play The Binding of Isaac Rebirth*

* Additional content for Afterbirth and Afterbirth+. ^_^ (For the record, I don't know anything about status updates so if I created this thread and it was under the wrong assumptions, I apologize and will fix it.)

g.png

After talking about how I planned on my current account remaining at 100% and people saying how I should just play games and not worry about my completion or stress out over trophies, I came upon a game I had seen a lot of gameplay on but had avoided for various reasons, including the trophies that came on the PS4 version which meant you had to get 100%. I had gotten 100% in games before, but this 100% was accompanied by the fact that the game is nothing but RNG and luck - you either got very lucky and could break the game, or you got killed by random happenstance. In fact, one secret character dies if he ever takes damage!

So I bought it and played on my other accounts... and now I am hooked.

It's time to put up or shut up.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is a indie roguelike dungeon crawler that was created by Nicalis in November 4, 2014 by Edmund McMillen (with a partner in Florian Himsl) and is based off the Biblical story of the same name in the Book of Genesis. Because of this there is a LOT of religious and dark humor so if you are offended by religious references of God and the Devil as well as South Park like scatological and sexual humor, I strongly suggest you leave. However, even if you are offended but are curious as to why this game is so addictive, then welcome. I admit I was offended at the game's setting at first as well; the story revolves around fleeing your mother who has gone insane and is trying to re-enact that Binding of Isaac story in the bible. (The main character's name is, in fact, Isaac!) and you're this naked little boy, crying his eyes out while avoiding very Lovecraftian horrors hiding in piles of fecal matter or fighting bosses which look like something from Resident Evil!

But I came around after figuring out two things: 1, South Park is far more controversial in its handling of gross-out and religious overtones and, 2, it is an RNG game so unless you use seeds to control the game(which locks you out about getting anything unlocked, the designers put a program that blocks achievements from being unlocked if you use a seed), you're at the mercy of the Goddess of Luck in whether you have to redo a run or not. You could get all of the items and secret endings in a few weeks, or it could take you your entire life. That's how bad the RNG is in this game.

Welcome to the madhouse.

For those wondering whether Isaac is going to rot in the graveyard like my other attempted threads(Heartless Hunters, etc), be assured that I will keep tabs on the thread as often as possible and reporting on my gameplay. I do have another account but PSNProfiles won't be tracking this one as I am using it for games I like. Still, I am willing to kill this account's completion a little to prove that I am not a one-trick pony. Time to descend into the depths. ?

51L0f2b35.png

The Goal: To promote the most hellish dungeon crawler on this blessed Earth and motivate people to try for the Platinum despite the blood, sweat and tears. Note that this will only be for Rebirth, not the Afterbirth or Afterbirth+ trophies even though those are required for 100% due to the fact that Afterbirth and Plus add two superbosses which make Mega Satan a joke and add 15 new challenges that would make the Platinum God trophies more difficult. If anyone wants to boast about their 10001% files, you are free to do so. The plan is to get the Platinum for Rebirth(not Afterbirth or Afterbirth+) by November 4, 2018, which is the four-year anniversary for this game.

Guides: For those curious on how to go about the platinum trophy, follow this guide by helloiamniven: Binding of Isaac Rebirth trophy guide

Participants: I will edit in a list once people start posting and asking to join.

Spoiler

Hall of Fame: This will be where I put the people who have completed their spiritual therapy and earned the title of Real Platinum God(or Goddess). If you have the plat trophy, please let me know. I will give them a custom emblem(if I can bedraggle my folks to get me some art supplies and use of their scanner) and I might work on some other emblems for those who did the Afterbirth DLCs as well since those trophies are much harder.

Spoiler

37Seb4b16.png Nobody yet!

Edited by MysticjMax
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Wow, just wow. Couldn't you at least come up with your own text instead of ripping off mine?

I'm sorry. I'll fix that. :(

EDIT: I don't know what I ripped off. I admit that I did use your Persona 5 thread as inspiration for mine, because I don't know how to create an original opening. I'm serious about the thread though.

Edited by MysticjMax

2 minutes ago, MysticjMax said:

I'm sorry. I'll fix that. :(

EDIT: I don't know what I ripped off. I admit that I did use your Persona 5 thread as inspiration for mine, because I don't know how to create an original opening. I'm serious about the thread though.

Just like you used @Tearraven's video for inspiration and ripped that off as well. 

• Like 4

On 10/7/2017 at 3:22 PM, MysticjMax said:

The Goal: To motivate myself (and many others) to try out this game and finally escape your inner demons by becoming a Real Platinum God and earning the Platinum trophy before November 4, 2018. Why that date? That's the four-year anniversary of this game. I will start work on this game on November 4 to set a one year deadline for myself but I don't think I will have any problems; all other games have suddenly become anathema to me. (Actually, I have a few games I need to sort out. xD)

Guides: For those curious on how to go about the platinum trophy, follow this guide by helloiamniven: Binding of Isaac Rebirth trophy guide

This is also pretty much word for word from @Dragon-Archon's Persona 5 thread. 

And what have does the Olympics have to do with this? 

Edited by Kent10201
  • Like 2

I've read the posts and understand that I may have gleaned too much from the Persona 5 thread. As such, I have edited a bunch of stuff. First off, I hafve redone the title and removed "The Hellympics" from it. I was thinking about the Weeblympics and 2018 is when the Winter Olympics will start but I got in trouble for people pointing out the title's similarity so I fixed that. I also revised the goal part to be more original and not parrot someone else.

Edited by MysticjMax

Right now I have just unlocked The Lost(and tried to get him past the first floor with ZERO success, the fact that he instantly dies on taking damage is brutal!**) and I have also unlocked all of the Mom Heart kills so now the Mom Heart is It Lives and I can access the Cathedral, which I did with Azazel to get the Satanic Bible. I'm going to unlock the Polaroid first because the Chest gives four gold chests with active or passive items in them.

Tip: Ludivicolo Brimstone will melt every enemy you face without you needing to charge it. Add in Lost Contact to block tears. If you get Tammy's Head, you're going to succeed your run. ;)

** YES, I know they buffed him in Afterbirth by giving him Holy Mantle (and the D4, which is complete RNG suckage as you don't want to reroll your Holy Mantle) but I am not getting Afterbirth until I get the platinum because they add new bosses and new stuff you have to do to get Real Platinum God.

If anyone is curious as to my current platinum progress, here it is:

Trophy Completion: 42%

Items Collected: 269

Secrets Uncovered: 75

Endings Unlocked: 16

Completion Marks: All on normal mode

• Isaac: Mom's Heart, Satan
  • Magdalene: Mom's Heart, Isaac
  • Blue Baby: Mom's Heart (almost got Isaac but got almost all my health erased by Double Trouble Mega Fatty in the Cathedral :()
  • Samson: Mom's Heart, Isaac
  • Azazel: Mom's Heart, Satan, Isaac

I'm trying to unlock the Polaroid first so I can get all of the ??? completion marks completed first. The chest gives four gold chests with items in them in the spawn room, and the items are usually passive or active items.