Maintenance for PS3 and PS4 advice

wackt1

I've had my PS3 slim since 2012 (only had one memory failure but that was because I kept unplugging it but it still works good as new) and a PS4 since December of 2016. PS3 looks good as new but there is some light dust/coating near the disk port. Other than that both are in working order, is there any maintenance I can perform to extend both of their lives?

Edited by wackt1

I've had my PS3 since 2011 and it's still going strong, it's the slim 320GB model, it's a tank! personally, every 4-6 months or sometimes less I take it apart and blow out all the dust and use things like cotton wool buds to get in nooks and crannies, to start with you might be wary of taking it apart but it's honestly nothing to worry about, there's a lot of youtube videos on how to open them up and take the part that you need to out to clean it fully, in short term, the top half of the PS3 shell comes off when you've undone all the screws on the bottom of the console, you can remove the HDD and blow the dust off it too, and also the back part of it where the power stuff is lifts out with a screw or two undone (you'll see this when you undo it or watch a video) I've also fixed laser readers on my PS2 before and it was quite simple but that's a whole other story, anyway I hope that helps somewhat and your consoles last for as long as possible! if I was more clued up about PS4 i'd be able to help but not that sure otherwise.

1 minute ago, GoldenShaka said:

That was how I killed my phat one. I'm sorry Goliath wherever you are 1f62d.png

I tried the same thing with my first ps3 controller, using youtube for a guide.The analog sticks were too...sticky, so i tried to clean them.I still have it in a plastic bag unscrewed,i can't even close it :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I tried the same thing with my first ps3 controller, using youtube for a guide.The analog sticks were too...sticky, so i tried to clean them.I still have it in a plastic bag unscrewed,i can't even close it :lol:

well, at least it was just a controller. Now that you talk about screws, my laptop still has a few screws missing from my original maintenance, I never knew how happened lol.

Since we are in October it means my PS3 slim is 8 years old. I have never done anything to it and its working as usual.

My PS3 controllers on the other hand needed some maintenance. Button presses were going crazy so I had tomopen them up and add a little piece of electric tape to thicken a rubber that becomes flat over time. With that simple fix they all worked perfectly again.

Come to think of it, I have never done any maintenance to any console. My PS2 once needed a lense change but that was my fault for using a modded one.

1 hour ago, wackt1 said:

Where can I get it reapplied?

I took mine to a shop that repairs computers,consoles and such things.There is an authorized sony shop at my country but it's far away from where i live

33 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Since we are in October it means my PS3 slim is 8 years old. I have never done anything to it and its working as usual.

My PS3 controllers on the other hand needed some maintenance. Button presses were going crazy so I had tomopen them up and add a little piece of electric tape to thicken a rubber that becomes flat over time. With that simple fix they all worked perfectly again.

Come to think of it, I have never done any maintenance to any console. My PS2 once needed a lense change but that was my fault for using a modded one.

My first ps3 (phat 60 gb) started choosing which games it will run after 5 years of use.I gave away my ps2 to my cousin when i bought the ps3 and my ps1 is 21 years old and still kicking (god i'm old).My first ps4 died within 3 hours 

20 hours ago, sephiroth4424 said:

I took mine to a shop that repairs computers,consoles and such things.There is an authorized sony shop at my country but it's far away from where i live

My first ps3 (phat 60 gb) started choosing which games it will run after 5 years of use.I gave away my ps2 to my cousin when i bought the ps3 and my ps1 is 21 years old and still kicking (god i'm old).My first ps4 died within 3 hours 

Quality is good