True Ending Allegedly Locked Behind Grind Or Loot Boxes

If people say that Shadow of War's Micro-transaction doesn't effect the game, well you might be wrong. Beside the Micro-Transaction in any game always effects a game, but in Shadow of War in order to unlock the games True Ending, you ether have to spend Hours on tedious and not fun grinding or spend your money to get pass the grinding.

Shadow Of War's True Ending Allegedly Locked Behind Grind Or Loot Boxes

Shadow of War Hides True Ending Behind Tedious Grind, Encouraging Loot Boxes

Edited by olinkalex

http://nypost.com/2012/10/08/citys-gotcha-traffic-cameras-use-short-yellow-lights-to-increase-ticket-revenue-study/

A reminder that this isn't something exclusive to gaming-- when a new avenue of revenue gets opened up, existing systems are inevitably changed to support that new avenue. Which is why I feel that people who support these systems in games are lying to themselves when they claim it 'won't affect the game'. 

23 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Nooo, it's all okay... they're just a big company and need money. #LeSarcasm

And we'll get people attacking your comment in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

After all you know nothing about business. 

How dare you guys continue the complaints, it was not enough to make Wb give the In memoriam Dlc for free? You need to stop :/

Sarcasm aside, maybe one day our console community will be as united as Steam most of the time is.

I'd like to point out that the grind is there either way. Buying loot boxes can make it easier, as you'll have better stuff. This is absolutely no different than every other game out there that sells DLC weapons or buffs. Like the Tales or Neptunia series. Don't get me wrong, I hate this in all series, but I just wanted to point out that this is by no means a new concept. 

• Like 1

i blame all the people who support micro transactions honestly. If the dev think some people are dumb enough to pay for the actual true ending via micro transactions, then why not, it's worth a shot. I am completely against this and the whole micro transaction business overall

• Like 1

Just now, Kyl542 said:

i blame all the people who support micro transactions honestly. If the dev think some people are dumb enough to pay for the actual true ending via micro transactions, then why not, it's worth a shot. I am completely against this and the whole micro transaction business overall

So true, the only way companies will stop this scummy practice is when we decide to not buy there games, just ignoring the Micro-transactions is not gonna send a message to WB, them losing purchases on the other hand will.

4 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I'd like to point out that the grind is there either way. Buying loot boxes can make it easier, as you'll have better stuff. This is absolutely no different than every other game out there that sells DLC weapons or buffs. Like the Tales or Neptunia series. Don't get me wrong, I hate this in all series, but I just wanted to point out that this is by no means a new concept. 

My real problem is not the grinding itself, but putting it as requirement for ending. It's bullshit. Tell me a game that put it as a requirement? JRPG? Never see one doing this. 

14 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

In Tales games, you can buy 2X XP, 2X Gald, etc., but the game without them isn't exactly unbalanced and requiring of a large RNG grind just to see the ending.

Shadow of War, however, is unbalanced in a way that is constructed solely to get you to buy their loot boxes just to see the ending cutscene of a game.

This is nothing like Tales.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

Tales exp and gald only you able to complete the game faster. Neptunia also gives you broken weapons to make the game easier.

27 minutes ago, Atlas said:

My real problem is not the grinding itself, but putting it as requirement for ending. It's bullshit. Tell me a game that put it as a requirement? JRPG? Never see one doing this. 

There are tons of games that require more work for a true ending. Some even need multiple playthroughs to get the full story. A few that come to mind are many of the Neptunia games, as you generally need to grind shares to get the true ending. Some Assassin's Creed games require 100% to get the true ending, which requires grinding out the same few missions types over and over. Tales of Xillia required two playthroughs to get the whole story, and it was definitely a grind, for me, having to do all of the same dungeons again. Chrono Trigger famously had a lot of different endings, and to get the true ending requires a lot more work and level grinding. Trinity Universe requires a lot of extra grinding by doing extra dungeons, getting the optional characters, and you even have to playthrough two times.

Ultimately, what counts as a grind will vary from person to person though. If it's enjoyable for one person the whole way through, it will just feel like a lot of content. If it's a drag for one person, it's going to feel like a grind.

18 minutes ago, madbuk said:

In Tales games, you can buy 2X XP, 2X Gald, etc., but the game without them isn't exactly unbalanced and requiring of a large RNG grind just to see the ending.

Shadow of War, however, is unbalanced in a way that is constructed solely to get you to buy their loot boxes just to see the ending cutscene of a game.

This is nothing like Tales.

And you've played SoW to know this, right? I don't see it on your profile, did you play it on PC or something? Oh right, it's not out yet, so there's absolutely no way for you to know if it's actually unbalanced, or just reviewers getting butthurt. The developer has said that they designed the game to not need the loot boxes. Yeah, I'm sure they make the game easier, but that doesn't mean it's unbalanced. Even if it is, it's only an escalation from what games like Tales have been doing. And making excuses like that for those kinds of decisions is what leads to more anti-consumer practices in the future.

17 minutes ago, Melty said:

Tales exp and gald only you able to complete the game faster. Neptunia also gives you broken weapons to make the game easier.

Which is literally what the items from the loot boxes are donig. Making the game easier, so you can beat it faster. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make, that this has been done many times before.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

There are tons of games that require more work for a true ending. Some even need multiple playthroughs to get the full story. A few that come to mind are many of the Neptunia games, as you generally need to grind shares to get the true ending. Some Assassin's Creed games require 100% to get the true ending, which requires grinding out the same few missions types over and over. Tales of Xillia required two playthroughs to get the whole story, and it was definitely a grind, for me, having to do all of the same dungeons again. Chrono Trigger famously had a lot of different endings, and to get the true ending requires a lot more work and level grinding. Trinity Universe requires a lot of extra grinding by doing extra dungeons, getting the optional characters, and you even have to playthrough two times.

Ultimately, what counts as a grind will vary from person to person though. If it's enjoyable for one person the whole way through, it will just feel like a lot of content. If it's a drag for one person, it's going to feel like a grind.

And you've played SoW to know this, right? I don't see it on your profile, did you play it on PC or something? Oh right, it's not out yet, so there's absolutely no way for you to know if it's actually unbalanced, or just reviewers getting butthurt. The developer has said that they designed the game to not need the loot boxes. Yeah, I'm sure they make the game easier, but that doesn't mean it's unbalanced. Even if it is, it's only an escalation from what games like Tales have been doing. And making excuses like that for those kinds of decisions is what leads to more anti-consumer practices in the future.

Which is literally what the items from the loot boxes are donig. Making the game easier, so you can beat it faster. Which is exactly the point I'm trying to make, that this has been done many times before.

To me the difference is that for both those games there's no end game grind. I beat berseria around lv 60 and for Neptunia Victory there was a coliseum around lv 50 where you could grind for 2-3 hours and reach lv 99 and you don't even need to do that to beat it because end game wasn't that hard. It never seemed scummy like how this is though and was never tedious.  

2 minutes ago, Melty said:

To me the difference is that for both those games there's no end game grind. I beat berseria around lv 60 and for Neptunia Victory there was a coliseum around lv 50 where you could grind for 2-3 hours and reach lv 99 and you don't even need to do that to beat it because end game wasn't that hard. It never seemed scummy like how this is though and was never tedious.  

19 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

There are people that will have found Berseria and Victory grind heavy. I thought Victory especially was grind heavy to just play through the game, not even for optional content, just to beat the game normally. Also how do you know that this is really scummy or tedious? You haven't played the game, and given that you have a higher tolerance than most for grinding, you may not even consider it a grind.

Making excuses for business practices like this will only make the problem worse. I've been saying this for years, and it's been progressively getting worse.

Its just getting worse and worse by the minute folks. And people still support this. I actually fell victim to microtransactions at one point and feel like a scumbag for it. WB isn't getting my money for this game until its probably at like half price or I just don't buy it at all.

A shame how this is what it came to but companies found out that it's very lucrative so they decided to hop on the train.

Does anyone know if there is a trophy attached to that true ending? That would put me off buying the game even more. I'm sure to wait for a price drop and a sale. Maybe they'll actually listen to the community if it gets loud enough and patch something in to make it more bearable in the meantime.

Edited by thekiffer21

12 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

At least you can earn it through normal gameplay. Asura's Wrath, FF13-2, and Dead Space 3 you had to buy the ending, no other way to get it. 

The Prince of Persia reboot sold you an epilogue. I dunno if its as bad as buying an ending but its a shady road games have been going on.

8 minutes ago, Cielle said:

The Prince of Persia reboot sold you an epilogue. I dunno if its as bad as buying an ending but its a shady road games have been going on.

Well thank goodness they're isolated cases and all on old-gen.

Lightning Returns hopefully only had DLC costumes, Dead Space was put on hold indefinitely and Asura's Wrath got no sequel too lol.

Edited by Lance_87