Monitor (help needed!)

Outcast2014

I find it really hard to understand the differences between older monitors and current ones. I know about 4k and hdr but maybe you can help me a little bit here.

I have an older monitor (Iiyama Prolite E2473 HDS) from around 2010/2011. If I would buy a new monitor for my ps4 (no 4k or hdr) are there any differences between quality? 

Thanks in advance for helping me out as I don't have a clue to be honest.

Price range max € 300,-

It's difficult to advise on monitors. There's a few different panels (IPS, TNs and VA) and it will depend on the kind of games you play, but getting a IPS monitor with a good refresh rate for under 300€ won't be easy. For FPS choose one with a really low refresh rate, but probably will have lousy viewing angles (and color limitations but that's not a serious issue for gaming only monitors). HDR is for TVs not for monitors. Make a search on the net, you'll get lots of different opinions, choose a brand that has decent service in your country.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cris3f said:

It's difficult to advise on monitors. There's a few different panels (IPS, TNs and VA) and it will depend on the kind of games you play, but getting a IPS monitor with a good refresh rate for under 300€ won't be easy. For FPS choose one with a really low refresh rate, but probably will have lousy viewing angles (and color limitations but that's not a serious issue for gaming only monitors). HDR is for TVs not for monitors. Make a search on the net, you'll get lots of different opinions, choose a brand that has decent service in your country.

Thank you Cris. I did a lot of research on the internet too and that helped in a way but I wonder why my Iiyama monitor from 2011 has the same specs as other monitors from today. I'm looking for a 1980-1050 (or 1200, don't remember) for the ps4. when I compare the monitors they have the same contrast etc. So I wonder if my 2011 monitor is just as good as the monitors now. In some way I expected a huge increase compared to my older monitor but that doesn't seem to be the case.

1 hour ago, cris3f said:

There haven't been any major technology advances in monitors. Hence it will probably be similar to the one you had from 2011. perhaps cheaper and with a better quality panel. Iiyama is agood brand too, that helped.

Thanks again Cris. That was the answer I was looking for :)

It's the one I would buy. Pretty amazing specs, and a IPS panel. Some people complain about it, but general opinion is that it's very good. EIZO is a good brand too. Amazon DE has been selling it lately under 300 euros, and if you live in The Netherlands it's probably a good place to buy. Schedule a price alert on the item, perhaps you'll get lucky and they drop the price again.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I compared the statistics and saw that the monitor you mention has a lesser brightness of 50 than the Iiyama. The rest of the specs is equal. Now I find it hard to believe that the older Iiyama monitor is better than the one you mention. I just can't figure out what I'm missing. 

Perhaps it's better colours? 

IPS panels are usually not very bright. They do have exceptional colours and much better viewing angles. Of course there's also crappy IPS mpnitors, this one doesn't seem to be one of them. Anyway advantage of buying in Amazon, if turns out you really think it's crap, talk to them they'll accept it back.

• Like 1