Star Wars BF 2 has microtransactions

Fubuki

6 minutes ago, tpepper1985 said:

Watch the video, it's pretty much pay to win. You buy cards that directly influence your power, there is no standard progression via gameplay (unlocking specific guns / talents at levels etc). Progression is only available with cards which you can earn by playing, or paying for them (from a loot box). If you drop 100 bucks on day one to buy card packs you will wipe the floor of any opponents that didn't do the same, if your not an awful player.

Another opinion on someone from the beta: Yes it's beta, but that term is rather meaningless at this point. Beta in day and age means stress test / bugfix before we ship, maybe they will adjust the numbers in the system but at this point the game is done.

If it affects gameplay then I'll revise my previous statement and say people should be outraged and I'll never play it. Lootboxes can be done well and when optional microtransactions fund the continued development of a game like in Overwatch they can be great, but any pay to win system is garbage.

Look at this, corrupt gaming company trying to nickle and dime you sick, twisted, demented people. Gosh....I lived through this yet you think its your right to be angry?? IM THE ONE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE ANGRY. Like I said, check your earth privilege

Edited by The High Ground
  • Like 1

It's pretty simple. Lootboxes are gambling. Some games keep it to cosmetics while some actually hide your progression behind them. It doesn't matter whats in them though, they're cancerous to the video game industry and need to be dealt with by the law to put them under the same restrictions as gambling.

Prime recent example is Overwatch. Everyone tries to defend Blizzard's use of them as they're 'only for comsetics'. But they always forget a very large caveat on that. Regular lootboxes only have regular cosmetics. You need special TIMED lootboxes to gain cosmetics associated with said event. Although, they also add the regular cosmetics to this special lootbox so you don't get the cosmetics as frequently. So you have timed lootboxes that for the most part barely go over 2 weeks. This creates this false product out there. The content is in the game but they're time gating to get people to buy gambling boxes. This is unacceptable in every god damn sense. They're preying on whales. They're preying on people who have bad self control when it comes to anything that resembles gambling. They're preying on children. 'Hey just buy this 50 back of lootboxes. You'll maybe get the skin you want!' You can't even deny that this is their viewpoint as the first event you couldn't even buy the skins from the box. You actually had to acquire it from the box unlock.

Second example is Fortnite. There's a really good video out there from right around the time the game came out from someone who put a lot of time into that brought this up. https://youtu.be/E9Ac9GmJTls?t=4m55s You need items from the pinatas to actually progress in part of your leveling up. They lull you into a false sense of how many pinatas you'll get in the opening tutorial. This is a text book case of companies making people impatient enough to buy their overpriced and wrongfully locked content that you might not even get.

Neverwinter. Only way to get actual good companions, mounts, and epic refine items without having to spend months and months trying to farm up 36k AD a day and wasting time leveling up artifact equipment to sell on the AH is to buy keys from the lockboxes. You'll hit that iLv ceiling where being non VIP just doesn't do it anymore. Which is sad because that iLv ceiling is not even current end game. It's 3-4 mods behind. (On a side note I spent 10 dollars to be a VIP last month. I got 30 keys. I got jack from the 30 boxes. No companions. No mounts. Just blue rarity boxes. Oh, yes. I forgot to mention. Not only does Neverwinter have lockboxes. Well their lockboxes drop boxes that you then have to open. You have 2 RNGs to go through.

Lootboxes are cancer. Lootboxes are gambling. They need to go. Saying companies use this money to improve their games is silly out. It's all a honeypot. It's free money for a lot of these companies. The money they get for said work is disproportional to the actual value it adds to said game.

Edited by Yadilie
  • Like 3

Lootboxes are fine if it's done in a reasonable way like Rainbow Six: Siege is doing. You can purchase most cosmetics with in-game currency, but you can also have a chance of getting these cosmetics via alpha packs that can only be purchased via in-game currency or winning matches.

I've played the beta and although I had some fun with it, I'm going to hold off since I haven't even played the first. Lucky for me, holding off means getting the season pass for free and now I can just pick up the game for $5 next time it goes on sale. 

26 minutes ago, BadTitanSlayer said:

Looks like no one cares these days. It's pretty sad how gamers are willing to deal with microtransactions rather then do something about it. Fucking hell, then gamers complain about everything. 

Well, I contribute against this trend... by having not bought a single piece of microtransaction never ever.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

As long it's not pay-to-win, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If it's just for gold guns and flashy bullshit, who cares? In the meantime, don't overreact until we see what's inside the loot boxes. If it doesn't throw off the balance of the MP, then it's not as horrible as you might think. We'll wait and see.

Agreed. I think microtransactions are fine, so long as they don't disrupt MP balance.

43 minutes ago, BadTitanSlayer said:

Looks like no one cares these days. It's pretty sad how gamers are willing to deal with microtransactions rather then do something about it. Fucking hell, then gamers complain about everything. 

Microtransactions themselves aren't evil. Used appropriately, they can make the game more accessible to all. Whether EA manages to do that is another story, but we'll see.

I mean, it's not like I'll be buying this anyway. But I will most likely play Shadow of War, so we'll see there.

Edited by starcrunch061

6 minutes ago, Freelancer Tex said:

Cool status update.

I'll be keeping my preorder and enjoying the game to its fullest.

Have fun! I hope that you have patience and that you don’t get tired of the purposely slow progression system by going through loot crates.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

1 minute ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Have fun! I hope you won’t get tired of the purposely slow progression system by going through loot crates.

Maybe the progression system is slow maybe it's not, until you personally play the game you'll never know.  You can listen and watch reviews till your eyes bleed but the only person who can tell you what you won't/will like is yourself.  I don't trust reviews which is  why I love putting my non-biased opinion  on my YouTube channel. Maybe it will be fun enough that you won't notice the grind?  Either way, I personally will be getting the game since the last one was a favorite of mine and hopefully I enjoy it just as much.  Don't shame people because they have an opinion, and that goes for both sides of the argument 

@Muskratateer My intention isn’t to shame people but to give more like a fact that microtransactions are generally purposely here to incite the players to pay more than the game’s price tag and they affect the gameplay. Not every game does affect the gameplay, but on the first look of this Beta, it obviously does. 

Personally, grinding in games easily turns me off.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

1 minute ago, Maxie Mouse said:

@Muskratateer My intention isn’t to shame people but to give more like a fact that microtransactions are generally purposely here to incite the players to pay more than the game’s price tag and they affect the gameplay. Not every game does affect the gameplay, but on the first look of this Beta, it obviously does. 

Personally, grinding in games easily turns me off.

We all expect a full game at $60, even $80 in Canada dammit...

Grinds can be fun for me personally, but only in games that I legitimately love.  If it's like destiny ( no offense to anyone) I will be turned off too

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Opinions are biased by definition.

I mean that in the sense of I don't use the love of a series to pre-judge a game or give it a 10/10 because I like lord of the rings fan fictions.  Ya feel me?
Edit: or you know...say micro transactions are going to ruin the game with out playing it
Edited by Muskratateer

It would be news if there was not any micro-transactions.

Wait 30 hours to grind for a single gun...lol. 

Going to wait for the Ultimate Edition for 5 dollars in a few years instead like the first one.

Edited by Kishnabe

Just now, Muskratateer said:

So you proved my point, thanks

Your point is provable in one line of text? You should probably pursue worthier aims.

3 minutes ago, Kishnabe said:

It would be news if there was not any micro-transactions.

Wait 30 hours to grind for a single gun...lol. 

Going to wait for the Ultimate Edition for 5 dollars in a few years instead like the first one.

That's the best part. Like microtransactions, hate microtransactions, whatever: if you can just be patient, you can play on the cheap. It doesn't work as well for MP, probably (though honestly, I don't even know, since I don't play them), but Shadow of War will be delightful for pennies on the dollar in a couple of years (assuming I don't just check it out of the library).

So, buy, buy buy!

59 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Not surprised at all. This is how most games are nowadays. That's not me defending it, because it can fuck right off, I'm just not surprised.

Me, I was only ever looking to play offline and split screen local anyway. Outside of the odd MP match, I'm only here for the single player campaign, and the offline shit, ala OG BF2. So I'll manage.

But honestly, you're kind of an idiot if you didn't see this coming from 16.2 miles away.

That being said, I'll take bullshit ass loot crates over a $75 season pass like the first game had. Supposedly all the DLC for this game will be free, and I can get down with that. If you're gonna be dumping a steady stream of free content into the game for everyone, I think it's perfectly fair to ask for extra shit on the side from the people who wanna waste their money on it. I won't ever waste my money, but if someone else wants to, then fuck it. I'd rather have the odd guy waste $5 on an awesome gun and kill me 10 times in a row, than have a $75 season pass split the community up into the shitshow that happened with the first one.

Very eloquently put xD

I see that EA are adopting GTA's style. I mean it's been proven to work generating lots of money, years after release and most people seem to not mind this style( I personally would rather have a GTA styled free dlc with optional in game currency to buy stuff than paid dlc). Now you can argue that in game stuff will tend to be overpriced to encourage microtransactions but at the end of the day, the devs need resources to create those dlcs.

1 hour ago, Yadilie said:

It's pretty simple. Lootboxes are gambling. Some games keep it to cosmetics while some actually hide your progression behind them. It doesn't matter whats in them though, they're cancerous to the video game industry and need to be dealt with by the law to put them under the same restrictions as gambling.

Prime recent example is Overwatch. Everyone tries to defend Blizzard's use of them as they're 'only for comsetics'. But they always forget a very large caveat on that. Regular lootboxes only have regular cosmetics. You need special TIMED lootboxes to gain cosmetics associated with said event. Although, they also add the regular cosmetics to this special lootbox so you don't get the cosmetics as frequently. So you have timed lootboxes that for the most part barely go over 2 weeks. This creates this false product out there. The content is in the game but they're time gating to get people to buy gambling boxes. This is unacceptable in every god damn sense. They're preying on whales. They're preying on people who have bad self control when it comes to anything that resembles gambling. They're preying on children. 'Hey just buy this 50 back of lootboxes. You'll maybe get the skin you want!' You can't even deny that this is their viewpoint as the first event you couldn't even buy the skins from the box. You actually had to acquire it from the box unlock.

Second example is Fortnite. There's a really good video out there from right around the time the game came out from someone who put a lot of time into that brought this up. https://youtu.be/E9Ac9GmJTls?t=4m55s You need items from the pinatas to actually progress in part of your leveling up. They lull you into a false sense of how many pinatas you'll get in the opening tutorial. This is a text book case of companies making people impatient enough to buy their overpriced and wrongfully locked content that you might not even get.

Neverwinter. Only way to get actual good companions, mounts, and epic refine items without having to spend months and months trying to farm up 36k AD a day and wasting time leveling up artifact equipment to sell on the AH is to buy keys from the lockboxes. You'll hit that iLv ceiling where being non VIP just doesn't do it anymore. Which is sad because that iLv ceiling is not even current end game. It's 3-4 mods behind. (On a side note I spent 10 dollars to be a VIP last month. I got 30 keys. I got jack from the 30 boxes. No companions. No mounts. Just blue rarity boxes. Oh, yes. I forgot to mention. Not only does Neverwinter have lockboxes. Well their lockboxes drop boxes that you then have to open. You have 2 RNGs to go through.

Lootboxes are cancer. Lootboxes are gambling. They need to go. Saying companies use this money to improve their games is silly out. It's all a honeypot. It's free money for a lot of these companies. The money they get for said work is disproportional to the actual value it adds to said game.

Seasonal events have been a thing with Blizzard games long before microtransactions became the norm. Hell, they were a thing other companies did as well with limited seasonal gear that you could only get by playing the game during the event (Guild Wars comes to mind specifically). These events often last 3 weeks, not barely 2 and you can get at least 9 lootboxes just from arcade wins in that time plus a free box if it's a mode you haven't won in yet. This paired with lootboxes you can get from leveling up makes for a decent chance at getting some of the seasonal skins from boxes. If you don't? You can spend 3,000 credits in order to unlock the epic skins without a random factor. If you don't want to spend 3,000 coins, you can easily wait a year and only pay 1,000 for them the next time they come around (There are cheaper ones as well but I picked the most expensive as an example). This + the fact all of the content comes back the next year in loot boxes shows they aren't "preying" on anybody. Don't make people out to be the victims. There are plenty of options to get these skins without having to use your wallet just by playing the game. 

Blizzard doesn't charge for any of the extra content that they put out and that's why I honestly wouldn't mind giving them a bit of money here and there for boxes. I've gotten

more than my moneys worth out of the game and that feeling doesn't come around often these days. Some people probably do whale for the boxes and if they're happy with that purchase, all the more power to 'em. The same goes for you as well. If you don't like the system, don't put money in to it. That's cool. But putting some crazy twist on it like they're doing something way worse than what's really going on because you hate the system as a whole? That's a bit much. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yadilie said:

Are you fucking serious? They adjust the events lootboxes to get more events cosmetics like every fucking event, so basically the chances to get more events cosmetics are more huge than getting a regular one. Not to mention that events happens like for a month, not 2 weeks. And you can get more boxes doing events by leveling up more fast, so It's wrong to say that Blizzard induces players to go buy their micro-transactions and a 'false product'. 

Edited by Atlas