Trade or Keep

RockySanchez666

Hey guys, been doing some thinking whether to keep my ps3 games or trade them, all I do is trophy hunt, I do have fun playing games but when I've got 100% I have to more on to next game unless dlc gets released, stupid post I know but I don't know what to do and yes I know I should play for fun but trophy hunting is what is do for fun aswell

You have to decide that for yourself, noone else can make that decision for you as it's entirely based on personal preference.

Personally, if I know I'll never play a game again (I usually don't do multiple playthroughs of anything unless the game is exceptionally good), I sell it/give it away as I don't see the point in it sitting there taking up space and gathering dust. 

But some people like to go back to games years later so keep them for that reason. Others might keep them just as a physical reminder of the games they played. Or a number of other reasons (or no reason at all besides they want to, which is reason enough).

You have to conclude for yourself whether you want to keep them for any reason, or whether you no longer want them. And it doesn't have to be all or nothing, you can easily say "here's the games I no longer want" and get rid of them, and keep the ones (if any) that you do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 2:50 AM, RockySanchez666 said:

Hey guys, been doing some thinking whether to keep my ps3 games or trade them, all I do is trophy hunt, I do have fun playing games but when I've got 100% I have to more on to next game unless dlc gets released, stupid post I know but I don't know what to do and yes I know I should play for fun but trophy hunting is what is do for fun aswell

For me, I have mainly been collecting for nearly a decade so when I usually keep. On the rare occasions, I get a duplicate or another game I just not interested, I usually trade it in at a mom and pop shop. All in all, it just comes down to preference and what realistically work for your situation.

I always get rid of my old stuff, it takes up space and realisticly once I have finished a game I do not go back. I think this might be the first time I keep a console (PS3) because my library on that machine is 95% digital, even if the servers are long shut down 10 years from now I could still have 500gb of "the best" PS3 games installed on the hard disk. The main reason for this is because I have a 2 year old son and one day if he wants to get into gaming I'd probably rather start him off with some older games before moving onto the newer stuff, so that is also something to think about if you have kids or plan on having them in the future.

Otherwise it depends if you have space to keep your collection and if you ever see yourself using it again - and try to be realistic on that point, some people also just like to collect stuff so there is that too!

Edited by tpepper1985

• 2 weeks later...

It's up to you.

I personally rarely ever go back to my old games after I've 100% completed them, or have just finished with them in general (beat the story and what not), but I do occasionally get the urge years down the line, so I don't like getting rid of games unless I'm 100% sure I'm never going to play them again. And even then, I've ended up regretting selling some games, and end up buying them again a few years later. So personally, I never really sell any of my games nowadays, haven't done for the past 2-3 years at least.

If you want my two cents, I'd just say keep them; there isn't a lot of reason to get rid of them unless you just want some extra cash or to free up some space for new games. It may be worth trading or selling them if you're going to get a decent deal on them. But ultimately the decision is up to you, I'd just say weigh up the pros and cons and decide which is going to be most beneficial.

Since PS3, I've always sold games rather than collect them. My PS3, PS4 and Vita physical collections are pretty much non-existent - the only collections I still have are for PS1, PS2 and Sega systems, and even those I trim regularly. For me it's mostly because I like to move on from things. Obviously there's many games I'd like to revisit, including those I've long since sold, but if I kept every game, it'd just be a huge timesink. I've recently revisited my digital Vita and PS4 collections, and although it's been fun, it generally ends with me thinking how else I could have spent the time, gaming or otherwise. 

The other thing, specifically with PS3 and PS4, is the fact that they're not exactly the most collection-friendly systems. The hardware is inherently less reliable than older consoles, and the way software works - installations, patches, servers which go down and lock you out of a sizeable portion of the game - just make it seem restrictive in terms of collecting. PS1, PS2, you've got the game and the console to play it on, and nothing else gets in the way of that. PS3 and onward, it often feels more like owning an incomplete version of a game than anything else.