Platinum

fanat56ru

This is a question that doesn't have a single, standard answer.  Everybody is unique, and they have different things that motivate them.

If this is a question you have trouble answering, that's something you need to look within and find out for yourself.  Maybe you'll find a motivation that defines your answer, and maybe you'll decide that exhaustive platinum trophy hunting isn't for you.

• Like 2

Just now, BadTitanSlayer said:

I platinum games because when I buy a game I want to experience the content to it's fullest. 

mainly this plus i want to reach the top (though i need many many trophy's) wont ever see 1# in my life. reaching the 1000's in ranking's is my primary goal now.

lily ranking is painfully slow :( but i gotta push through it.

Edited by kingdrake2

As @acasser said, the reason is different for everyone, and you need to look for why you go for the platinum yourself, because the reason why someone does it probably isn't the same as yours.

I personally always have been a completionist, even before trophies started, so when they created trophies, I kind of set my goal for platinum/100%, along other things (in some games the plat doesn't mean doing everything, so I sometimes have a hard time stopping playing those, even after 100%).

Said that, I do play some games just for trophies, and I'm thankful for that in some way, since there are some games that I normally wouldn't try unless they where an easy plat, and end up finding some quite nice games (Remember Me, Grim Fandango, Murdered Soul Suspect and many more). On the other hand, I will also play anything that I really want, even if I know that the platinum is probably to hard for me (Street Fighter IV, Catherine, Blazblue).. ya, my completion % probably would make someone think otherwise, but my favorite type of games are RPGs, and usually it's not that hard to plat them... and I try to keep my completion percentage above 90% at all times, so there's 30-50 games in my backlog that aren't in my trophy list because I didn't started them yet...

Personally there's really rare times when I'm actually focusing on trophies, and even at those times I don't go get super easy platinum just for the trophies.. actually I'm currently focusing on trophies because I want to hit 10k trophies ASAP, but my current plan for that was/is to play Beyond Two Souls (already done), Alice in Madness and Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, after those I will still need some 30 odd trophies that I will get from my on and off games (well probably FFIX, Armello, Muramasa Rebirth). All this just because I want to make Deus Ex Mankind Divided platinum my 10k trophy, and I still plan in making FFIX platinum my 175th platinum, but I still have a ton of time before I get to think on that one seriously..

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

For me its like keeping a diary of my time with a game. Sometimes I look back at my trophies, its dates, how far from each other I got them, stuff like that, its a record of my gameplay.

I also like looking pointless stats like which days I get more trophies, how many I got during a certain month, etc.

Now with PS4 its even better cause it takes screenshot, so I like looking through them as well (even though a lot of the time the console takes the screenshot at terrible times)

1 hour ago, acasser said:

If this is a question you have trouble answering, that's something you need to look within and find out for yourself.  Maybe you'll find a motivation that defines your answer, and maybe you'll decide that exhaustive platinum trophy hunting isn't for you.

Man, that looks like it came straight from an RPG, lol.

• Like 1

Interesting topic, it's nice to read why others do.

I've truly never asked myself this question but if I think back now to the first game I 100%'d on PC (Just Cause 2) which was one of my favorite games at the time. Honestly, I think I just wanted to achieve/experience everything the game had to offer, since I really enjoyed playing it. Ever since, I started doing the same for games I enjoyed the most.

Then a few months down the line, I joined an achievement hunting community, with leader-boards, profile statistics and whatnot which made me focus a bit on the numbers. So it has become slightly more than just "hunting for fun".

(tl;dr) The enjoyment and getting most out of the game is still the primary factor for me, with the 'numbers' being the second. The thrill of finally 100%'ing that challenging and/or grindy game is what keeps me going the most - I'm sure we've all been there.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not going to play said game again after the plat. (edit)

Edited by Ac3NiNjA

I too want to experience most to all a games has to offer. Goes along with with a challenge doing something out of the ordinary. Like doing a pazifist run on Splinter Cell is easy, can i do the opposite too? Running around killing all enemies even when they hunt me too?

And another aspect was i played on ps2 less much games but each more often. Like FFX on ps2 10 times. On ps3 just once. But i liked the game i played it again and did all challenges to unlock the platinum to increase the fun. That's why i beat Penance and Deus for the 1st time. Or in GTA i never bothered getting 100% playthrough only for a trophy i did

I’ve always been a completionist in games so getting a Platinum trophy means for me that I went through 100% of the game (of course if the game would ask to do literally everything). Not only that, it gives more life time for the game and it gives (if applied) additional challenges.

In the end, teaching the Platinum is like the ultimate goal in games. Something that Steam or Xbox don’t have when you would get 100% or 1000/1000G the achievements. They don’t feel that much rewarding or motivating.

Edited by Maxie Mouse