So if these console classic minis are a thing these days, why not an Arcade Mini?

slaveknight09

What I'm trying to say, is what if we got a collection of Arcade games in the 90's and in the late 90s. Those are fun especially those fun beat em ups such as X-Men, TMNT Turtles in time, Street Rage 2, Sengoku like all of em, Aliens Vs. Predator etc.. And fighting games such as Mortal Kombat and all SF II games. I know this possible of course through emulators and stuff. But I'm saying a portable arcade mini for everyone. And those Arcade visuals are fantastic tbh back in the days. I love large sprites and beautiful landscapes of side scrolling technique.

What do you guys think?

The biggest problem, is the large number of companies that would all have to be in agreement, and who would all be splitting the profits to the point that it just wouldn't be worth it for any of them. With the NES and SNES mini, most of the games were essentially already owned by Nintendo already, with only a few exceptions.

I don’t think very many people are buying the NES mini and the SNES mini primarily to play the games - if that were the case there are far cheaper and easier methods to do that. A raspberry pi with retropi is half the price, and can play every game on those systems.

i think they are more just nostalgia pieces, and are desirable simply because of the cuteness factor of the physical item - a little reminder of happy childhood gaming.

33 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I don’t think very many people are buying the NES mini and the SNES mini primarily to play the games - if that were the case there are far cheaper and easier methods to do that. A raspberry pi with retropi is half the price, and can play every game on those systems.

i think they are more just nostalgia pieces, and are desirable simply because of the cuteness factor of the physical item - a little reminder of happy childhood gaming.

I can assure you that a raspberry pi is "too much hassle" for 95% of the players. People firmly believe that it will be too hard to do, that they can't do it, and just never look into it. When the classic edition is basically plug and play.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 3:07 PM, lesk8vaincra said:

I can assure you that a raspberry pi is "too much hassle" for 95% of the players. People firmly believe that it will be too hard to do, that they can't do it, and just never look into it. When the classic edition is basically plug and play.

So true. I know fully well how raspberry pi works and even I can't bring myself to make a console emulator out of one when I have so many games still sitting on my PS4, my PS3, and now my Switch.

The day I'm finally going to raspberry pi is the day after the one where Nintendo says there is a zero percent chance for getting N64 games on the Switch. Until that day, I've got enough other consoles to play one, among which an actual SNES with most of the mini's games on actual cartridges.