Game thoughts?

itsFIGJAM

I'll wait for reviews, doesn't look too bad as long as its not like technomancer. Trophies don't sound too grindy. I hope they added combat polish and that gameplay was done by someone who didn't upgrade any of their skills than the attributes I saw. (But why do that though? Why not showcase it?) Never played Gothic, have nothing to compare with either. 

Edit: A commentary review. Including commentary about previous games (Gothic and Risen, combat comparisons/explanations), attributes in english. 

Edited by Not_like_therest

Looks like a complete and utter "jank-fest", and they couldn't even make it look smooth in the goddamn promotional trailer for the game. One of those games I know isn't going to get top marks for it's amazing AAA production values (then again, their games have always been rough around the edges), but it does look just as interesting as it does worrisome from everything I've seen and read  (and I mean, I've pretty read a lot about this game).

I highly doubt it's going to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone as some runaway hit, but if it's at least a 7/10 kind of fare then I can definitely see sleeper status written all over it. The Gothic games were the last ones I can say I enjoyed by these guys (didn't care for Risen), but they do have their dedicated fanbases even if it's not even close to the popularity of other big name RPGs and their respective developers.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:16 AM, Nightstream88 said:

I do kind of want the game but have a feeling that this will be one of those games to where it will drop down to $20 or less quick so I might wait until then before getting it.

Yeah and it's a pretty bad time to release a game like this among all the AAA titles this month. Elex would do a lot better I think if it was released in the Summer. I know I would be more likely to give it a shot if new games were few and far between.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 4:55 PM, Stormverse said:

It's made by the guys who make Risen and Gothic.  If you've played those games, it's probably a lot like them.  It is an instant buy for me because I like these kind of games, but a lot of people will be turned off by them I imagine.

once i realized this i started looking more into the game. despite being low budget i enjoyed Risen and Arcania

On 10/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, Killbomb said:

Yeah and it's a pretty bad time to release a game like this among all the AAA titles this month. Elex would do a lot better I think if it was released in the Summer. I know I would be more likely to give it a shot if new games were few and far between.

My thoughts exactly. There have been so many big releases these past few months that I can't really justify buying a game that will most likely be on sale soon enough. I also haven't even gotten around to picking up or playing some of the bigger releases that I'm very interested in like The Evil Within 2, so there's no way Elex would take precedence over that.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I didn't know anything about this game before getting my hands on it. In fact, I bought it solely because I thought the cover art look really interesting.

In retrospect, it saddens me to say that this game had so much potential and could have been something special, but unfortunately it suffers from poor controls and is mired with optimization issues.

Firstly, the narrative is great, the world is fleshed out, and you can tell the devs spent a lot of time working on a complex way of mechanically telling a story. The choices you make in some of the quests affect future events, even going as far as altering the status of an in-game location. Most NPC characters can be killed, which again will alter the path you take in the narrative. The illusion of choice is very prominent, as the game allows you to make you're own moral decisions. 

However, the controls for this game are horrendous, melee combat being the main culprit. Hits will register sporadically, damage calculation on enemies are inconsistent, dodge roll works some of the time or not at all, and you're better off just playing range the entire time, that is if reloading ammo decides to cooperate. 

Overall, it is an enjoyable game with interesting story telling. If you can get past the chunkiness of the controls and the messy combat mechanics, then I'd give it a whirl.

Edited by Roundtoad
Typographical errors

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

For anyone wondering, game is atrociously bad. Balancing isn’t a thing here and you’ll constantly be encountering enemies you have no chance of surviving songs who will one or two shot you.

aggro range on said enemies is bloody ridiculous, combat is janky as all hell and half the time doesn’t actually work. Attacking thin air in the opposite direction of the locked on enemy for example.

The progression system is terrible and you basically have to craft potions just to properly distribute skills. The ‘Cold’ system is trash, the crafting and skill system is bloody atrocious. The game is also really boring, far too much dialogue, don’t mind that, loved Dragon Age: Origins. But here the dialogue is all boring, badly written and badly delivered.

One of the worst RPGs I’ve played on PS4 and I won’t be touching the sequel with a barge pole

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 5:29 PM, ChanelOberlin494 said:

For anyone wondering, game is atrociously bad. Balancing isn’t a thing here and you’ll constantly be encountering enemies you have no chance of surviving songs who will one or two shot you.

aggro range on said enemies is bloody ridiculous, combat is janky as all hell and half the time doesn’t actually work. Attacking thin air in the opposite direction of the locked on enemy for example.

The progression system is terrible and you basically have to craft potions just to properly distribute skills. The ‘Cold’ system is trash, the crafting and skill system is bloody atrocious. The game is also really boring, far too much dialogue, don’t mind that, loved Dragon Age: Origins. But here the dialogue is all boring, badly written and badly delivered.

One of the worst RPGs I’ve played on PS4 and I won’t be touching the sequel with a barge pole

Hehe, I did say the battle system was bad (and camera), and I did warn it was brutal early on, and to do quests instead. Honestly, once you get a bit stronger it's quite a bit more fun, especially the exploration stuff etc. People who have played Risen knows what this is like. It's mixed bag for sure, but some aspects shine, some is crazy how they even made it that poorly. I had no issue with the dialogue, and I actually liked how your choices had real consequences, unlike so many similar games. I will get the sequel once it gets down in price, and I hear they've made some real improvements when it comes to the worst aspects of this game.

I think I might have forgotten to mention the map and fast travel, as that breaks pretty much when you've played the game for a while. The framerate drops so much, especially on the... map...... wut, and it makes it nigh impossible to move the cursor around, as it will "snap" back to it's current position due to the low frame rate. It's kinda crazy.

If you struggle in this game, just get the money glitch going. Remember, the "cold" stuff is the most difficult aspect of this game, because it's required for endings.

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying the game a lot. I like a lot PB RPGs, exploring the world, so many quests, places, factions, and the story for me is interesting. With this said... ...PB still don't realize that their combat system is EXTREMLY outdated?

I played all the Gothic saga in their days, and also the 3 RIsen. I just hilarious how, with the exception of Gothic 4 (the only one in which PB wasn't involved), all of them keeped the same combat system. All of them. I had a lot of fun playing Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Risen... but 15-20 years ago. When I started to play Risen 2 in PC, I saw how badly aged the combat system, and it was 2012. Risen 3 came out in 2014... and was the same (also I replayed Risen 3 in PS this year and OMG, it aged even worse).

And now playing Elex in 2022, a game that came out in 2017/8, AND STILL THE SAME COMBAT SYSTEM. Dude, for fuck's sake... how many years are they going to keep this demi-turn-action-based combat? The locking target is the worse of all the games, rolling is useless, and even the most stupid enemy still make you flinch until they stop attack leaving you with no choice but to watch. Worst thing of all, I feel that Elex is the most unmerciful and unforgiving game of all. In Gothic/Risen, the first 10 levels were though, until you start to get some gear, level up a bit and getting skills. Here it seems it doesn't matter a shit. I'm level 18 and still have to run like a chicken for normal enemies because they destroy me in just 2 hits.

It's a shame, because even with the shitty outdated combat system, I'm liking the game. And probably, much more people would enjoy if they decide to improve it. I only hope that Elex 2 made something about this.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

currently playing it, have 22 hours into it. I absolutely love the writing, branching quests that can be altered by multiple means that aren't disclosed, and the world is great. The difficulty is just stupid. It's significantly harder than the risen games, and even less balanced. The map is straight trash, and that's being kind. You can't see where you are in some cities, because there's no map besides the world map. 

The graphics are good IMO. And the game becomes MUCH better once you can actually fight, but it takes far too long to get there. The combat system is bad at best. It's a very frustrating game for multiple reasons, but it will scratch that eurojank itch, and really isn't a bad game. It's borderline good. PB just need to take notes from spiders on gameplay and ergonomics. 

Edited by pikey87
Left out details.
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/24/2022 at 12:46 AM, pikey87 said:

currently playing it, have 22 hours into it. I absolutely love the writing, branching quests that can be altered by multiple means that aren't disclosed, and the world is great. The difficulty is just stupid. It's significantly harder than the risen games, and even less balanced. The map is straight trash, and that's being kind. You can't see where you are in some cities, because there's no map besides the world map. 

The graphics are good IMO. And the game becomes MUCH better once you can actually fight, but it takes far too long to get there. The combat system is bad at best. It's a very frustrating game for multiple reasons, but it will scratch that eurojank itch, and really isn't a bad game. It's borderline good. PB just need to take notes from spiders on gameplay and ergonomics. 

I'm more than pleasantly surprised, I have to say. Jax is probably more akin to Shepard than I thought ever possible, and I absolutely love Mass Effect.

The level system is very rough indeed if you're new to it; hardly denting enemies even when wielding a laser rifle was a new experience for me.

It's all about raising your attributes enough in order to equip high-quality weapons and unlock skills that supplement your gameplay.

Once that's achieved, nothing will stand in your way.🙂

Edited by Mellenthin