Plex Linux help

rikwebb

Hi,

I hope this is the right place, if not sorry.

I'm trying to run Plex on my linux computer at home but when trying to create my library it won't read anything on my hard drives, i think its due to permissions. Anything i read on it gets me a bit confused. Has anyone else got Plex running on Linux and encountered this and had any success with it?

Thanks

I've been running plex for years on ubuntu.  I have my media (movies, TV etc...) on an external WD My Cloud drive which my plex server is configured against.

Looking at the rights on my files I have them setup as my local user (mcurran) in my case with read and right access for that user (-rw-r--r--) and read access for everyone else.  I would suggest you change the ownership (chown) off root to a local user if you have it setup like that and rights (chmod) on the files and folders to ensure all users have access as an initial start to get things working.  Plex runs on its own user (plex:plex) so if you files in your library are owned by root with only root access that could be your problem as the plex user might not be able to see them.

Hope this helps ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markcavan said:

I've been running plex for years on ubuntu.  I have my media (movies, TV etc...) on an external WD My Cloud drive which my plex server is configured against.

Looking at the rights on my files I have them setup as my local user (mcurran) in my case with read and right access for that user (-rw-r--r--) and read access for everyone else.  I would suggest you change the ownership (chown) off root to a local user if you have it setup like that and rights (chmod) on the files and folders to ensure all users have access as an initial start to get things working.  Plex runs on its own user (plex:plex) so if you files in your library are owned by root with only root access that could be your problem as the plex user might not be able to see them.

Hope this helps ...

Will have a try with that when i get home from work