How bad is it?

This game, or rather the original from the Amiga 500, has always been one of my favorite games.

So I'm wondering how badly did they screw the remake up? That they wanted to do a console port has been in the works for at least 5 years, as the game has been listed on amazon several times, but until recently, it has always been a ps3 version. And suddenly I see a trophy list for a PS4 version, so it's finally done...

I bought it out of pure nostalgia. Short verdict: not worth the 40 Euros.

I am still in the first town, so I cant say anything about combat. The surroundings look okay. Like on ps3. The characters look pretty bad. The animations are laughable. More like ps2 or even on ps1.

On the other hand it triggers some nice memories. E.g. you have the random events on the street and all the action in the tavern, temple etc like in the original. The story and rule set seem to be the same.

If you get it cheap, can live with the bad technic and want a nostalgia trip it's okay. Without the bonus of memories of the original: dont buy! My rating: 3.5/10.

(The platinum seems to be not too hard to get.)

Wow, 40 euros? Sounds like a rip. I would really like this to be good as I also have fond memories on the Amiga of this (although the frame rate when moving was awful!). The PC remake got slaughtered back in 2013, so I had hoped for some major improvements now that we are in 2017, but it sounds like a letdown once again. :(

Afaik they continuousily improved the pc version over the years. So it's no longer a bug desaster as in 2013. The user rating on Steam says it's okay. I faced no bugs until now.

I will post again when I have seen a bit more, especially the combat.

Did play a bit further. Overland travel is nice. You have some RPG choices and diverse random encounters with and without combat. Combat system is okay. Reminds me of the classic version of the game.

Then during camping the game crashed and I lost 30 min of play. Pro tip: save often!!!!

• Like 1

Wow, been waiting such a long time for that game now, already given up hope it'll ever come to console... And now that it's up, I ain't got the time to play it! Irony at its best. Yeah, totally began playing Neverwinter Online like a week ago. If I hadn't started on that long-time investment, I'd have bought Blades of Destiny. Though the price is high, would've expected something like 19.99. But 39.99? Will get it once it drops below 20. I don't mind if it looks old, after all, almost 50% of "new" games are retros or remakes.

Yep, I'm a gonna play it, sooner or later.

Oh, and talking about HEX editors... what's a HEX anyway....?!?

Edited by Theophobos
typo

On 16.10.2017 at 0:44 PM, Theophobos said:

Oh, and talking about HEX editors... what's a HEX anyway....?!?

HEX is short for hexadecimal, it is a base 16 system, meaning it uses 16 numbers. (so instead of 0 to 9 before adding a digit, it goes 0-15; or rather 0 to 9 and then A to F)

And that's what was used (and maybe still is) with computers. Along with binary of course.

I'm old enough to have learned binary in "computer science" class. But when I was in high school (mine was pretty advanced to have computers at all), those were what I call 086 PCs for a lack of better term with green/black monochrome monitors. Ahh, the time before hard discs (as a consumer product) where we kids build our own "calculators" which could only add 1 digit in binary (so a simple ADD of two one-digit binary inputs) where we etched our own boards and soldered the components onto them. FUCK ME, NOW I'M FEELING OLDER THAN I ALREADY USUALLY FEEL

Actually, don't ask me. I have forgotten nearly all as I never stayed in the field (though I wish I had) and use computers purely as entertainment now. No clue about modern coding or what makes them run. Might as well be magic.

• Like 4

On 18.10.2017 at 11:51 AM, Lucksi666 said:

HEX is short for hexadecimal, it is a base 16 system, meaning it uses 16 numbers. (so instead of 0 to 9 before adding a digit, it goes 0-15; or rather 0 to 9 and then A to F)

And that's what was used (and maybe still is) with computers. Along with binary of course.

I'm old enough to have learned binary in "computer science" class. But when I was in high school (mine was pretty advanced to have computers at all), those were what I call 086 PCs for a lack of better term with green/black monochrome monitors. Ahh, the time before hard discs (as a consumer product) where we kids build our own "calculators" which could only add 1 digit in binary (so a simple ADD of two one-digit binary inputs) where we etched our own boards and soldered the components onto them. FUCK ME, NOW I'M FEELING OLDER THAN I ALREADY USUALLY FEEL

Actually, don't ask me. I have forgotten nearly all as I never stayed in the field (though I wish I had) and use computers purely as entertainment now. No clue about modern coding or what makes them run. Might as well be magic.

Ehm, thanks for the answer but my question was kinda ironic! Actually I do know what a HEX is... now I feel kinda bad, having you made write so much information and making you feel older... sorry pal! I should've used a few smilies to emphasize the irony factor, but then again, I'm old-school and never use smilies...

Still, I appreciate the effort!

• Like 2