IGN bought Humble Bundle (thoughts?)

Superbuu3

Personally that annoys me, as what started out as a system to donate money to charity while buying games will most likely turn into a money making scheme, or have some weird biased agenda.

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/166366386976/humble-bundle-is-joining-forces-with-ign

Humble Bundle is Joining Forces with IGN!

Announcing our biggest bundle ever: Humble Bundle is proudly joining the IGN family! We will continue to bring you all of our humble products, but with more resources and help from IGN.

We chose IGN because they really understand our vision, share our passion for games, and believe in our mission to promote awesome digital content while helping charity. I can’t think of a better partner than IGN to help Humble Bundle continue our quest.

We will be working harder than ever to bring you the best gaming bundles, book bundles, and store sales, while nurturing the Humble Monthly and our new publishing initiative. We will keep our own office, culture, and amazing team with IGN helping us further our plans. We will raise even more money for charity.

John and I started Humble Bundle from our childhood homes. When our parents found out that our “big idea” was basically the honor system of pay-what-you-want plus charity, they braced themselves for the possibility that we might never move out. Seven years later, thanks to the generosity of over 10 million customers, we’ve now raised $106 million for charity. We are incredibly proud of this figure, of our team, and the Humble community which got us here.

But as far as we’ve come, we know we are just getting started. Even bigger things lie ahead, and we think IGN is the perfect partner to help us get there.

If you like Humble Bundle now, stay tuned, because we’ll have more exciting things to share in the near future.

-Jeffrey Rosen
Co-Founder, CEO
Humble Bundle

Edited by Superbuu3

11 minutes ago, spazza136 said:

If they're keeping the same team/structure it may not be the worst, I understand IGN is not the best choice but it may not be the end-all disaster people are winding it up as.

My real issue is thsi is a charity being bought by a company could be IGNs way to have a competing store with all the various digital gaming platforms now

3 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

I feel like there is some misinformation here.  Humble Bundle is in fact NOT a charity, but a digital storefront corporation that makes a profit whilst also offering charitable donations.  The charitable amount raised through Humble Bundle exceeds $100 million over 50 different charities; the developers and Humble Bundle also profit from the purchases made.

Yeah but the current situation is you can donate all the money to charity if you so choose.

A business buying that compared to a the small group that runs it now, certainly raises questions. Pretty much every charity takes a large amount of money for there expenditures, there was a pretty big scandal here in england with some lady running a charity for children who was basically not doing much other than pocketing the money. uying something that was making it a way gamers could donate to charity as a business company obviously they saw this as a way to make money and not to aid charity.

I mean it could be ok, but i seriously question motivations.

Edited by Superbuu3

3 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

Yeah but the current situation is you can donate all the money to charity if you so choose.

A business buying that compared to a the small group that runs it now, certainly raises questions. Pretty much every charity takes a large amount of money for there expenditures, there was a pretty big scandal here in england with some lady running a charity for children who was basically not doing much other than pocketing the money. uying something that was making it a way gamers could donate to charity as a business company obviously they saw this as a way to make money and not to aid charity.

You can donate all of the money to charity, but Humble Bundle in itself isn't a charity like your post implies.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

That only applies to the bundles. The storefront is a select percent goes to charity, not sure how much though.

• Like 1

Just now, Mesopithecus said:

You can donate all of the money to charity, but Humble Bundle in itself isn't a charity like your post implies.

I would question the definiton of a charity shop in general in that regard when through humble you can guarantee a larger proprotion of your money goes to charity. I realy think this is arguing semantics.

2 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Just now, Caesar Clown said:

That only applies to the bundles. The storefront is a select percent goes to charity, not sure how much though.

Ok i concede i Edited the opening post.

21 minutes ago, Superbuu3 said:

I would question the definiton of a charity shop in general in that regard when through humble you can guarantee a larger proprotion of your money goes to charity. I realy think this is arguing semantics.

A charity shop actually is earning money for usually one specific charity though - Age Concern, Cancer Research, Heart Foundation.  Humble Bundle, by definition are not a charity, they are not registered as such, they are a business who make money for themselves, the developers and also charitable donations if buyers wish to contribute any %.  Whilst making charitable donations is one of the principles, essentially they are just a middle man.  It's not so much as semantics as we're not debating logic concerned with meaning, but proclaiming them as a charity is misinformation and they are legally and financially not recognized as such.  I'm basing my point here on facts, not from an emotional or opinion based perspective.

It would be like claiming that JustGiving is a charity, where they are a middle man also (with 5% fees levied on top to cover their business costs and go toward their revenue)

I feel that it is important to distinguish that Humble Bundle are not a charity and to clarify that information, as people could formulate their opinion based on incorrect facts.

Edited by Mesopithecus

Hopefully they don't mess with it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they start forcing a certain percentage to go to them, instead of being able to give it all to charity. Or even going so far as to removing the charity option altogether for some purchases. :/