Selling Games, How Do You Do It?

SuperSaiyan3985

2 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

For anyone that sells their games after finishing them, where do you usually go? It seems as though the answer to that has always been GameStop but it infuriates me that people would rather get $2 for their games rather than selling them on eBay and making 50%+. 

I split the difference and go to Amazon. I like the ability to name my price, without worrying about auctions and the like. I don't like the commission I pay, but in the end, it's never bothered me.

• Like 1

eBay for me... I just usually set a price that I'd be happy to part with the game for and let the auction relist if it doesn't sell. More often than not, it will eventually sell (if it doesn't sell the first time). I recently went through a lot of my old games that I played on my previous account and made about $300 for my upcoming preorders!

• Like 1

I keep all my games, however I am a member of my neighborhood's Facebook page and I regularly see people selling games there, if you have something similar (a lot of areas have their own "buy, sell, trade groups) that might be a place to try. 

Parker

I have a local shop I sell mine to. I get ripped off on some, but other games get way more than I expected so it evens out.

Also, less than 50% isn't that bad unless it literally came out this year. GameStop is a business and knows exactly how much inventory they have, the demand for the game, current market value, etc. No way you'll ever walk out of the store thinking that you got a great deal. 

• Like 1

I buy most games digitally so reselling isnt really a thing for me. The physical copies i have completed i usually bring to gamestop (not for cash) but they have a thing in my country were you can bring in 2 random games from a weekly updated exchange list (only games they can resell for more than a few bucks) and get one of 2-3 select new releases for 10 bucks! Got Titanfall 2 and Horizon zero dawn at release like this. But i usualy only go every few months when there's something really interesting.

It's called the 9.90ies (roughly translated).

If i need cash i sometimes try to sell them in facebook market groups, which is "mildly successful".

Edited by thekiffer21
  • Like 1

I don't really sell my games anymore, but when I did (or when I do because a game isn't very good)...

- If it's a lot of games (like 5 or more) I'd just save myself the hassle and bring them all into Gamestop.  It's not maximizing value, for sure, but if you combine the right deals together you can still get a pretty decent haul.

- If it's not a lot of games, I sell one by one on eBay.

- If I don't think I'll get enough money to be worth selling either way (like my copy of Madden 12) it'll either get thrown out or set aside for the opportunity to give it away.

I try and save them and put them into the collection. When I do have to sell, I go to ebay. Amazon was good for a while, but they take way too much money, and then it takes months before you even see the money from selling. While ebay you get the money pretty instantly and they take a far more reasonable amount.

As for gamestop, the only time it's ever even remotely worth it, is when they're doing their campaigns where you trade in 4+ games and you get 60% more for each game. Even then, you're looking at less than selling the games yourself, but it can be worth it to save yourself the hassle of shipping and just want to get rid of a lot of games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

If I don't think I'll get enough money to be worth selling either way (like my copy of Madden 12) it'll either get thrown out

Thrown out!?

I would never throw out something that I paid $40+

You can keep it on the shelf as a collector's item. I'm trying to get every Madden Football game ever released and I have like 15 (halfway there hahaha)

You can always sell it for a couple bucks (or gift it as you said).

Edit: I only sell games that I get duplicate for self boosting or I gift them to the friend that lends me their console for the boost.

The only time I sold a game at GAME I felt so scammed and pissed that I never ever sold a game there. Paid 40 -> a month later got 7 on store credit, they put it to sell for 25.

Edited by charlijaen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlijaen said:

Thrown out!?

I would never throw out something that I paid $40+

You can keep it on the shelf as a collector's item. I'm trying to get every Madden Football game ever released and I have like 15 (halfway there hahaha)

You can always sell it for a couple bucks (or gift it as you said).

That's a lot of copies if you're going for every console variation

I usually don't sell games, but I did recently decide to thin out my collection a little bit of games that sell well enough that I know I won't play again. Anyway, I use eBay and it's okay. Shipping costs and fees dig a bit into what you actually earn, but it's still better than going to GameStop or something in most cases.

I'm mostly digital these days so there's not much for me to sell, but when I do, it's either Cex or GAME. I've always found Cex's rates fair, cash and especially credit. GAME's a lot worse, but they also sell PSN cards, which makes it worth it if I want to sell for something online. I don't sell on eBay or Amazon anymore because of several bad experiences. Late/non-existent payments, and that one time someone bought a bunch of NTSC Dreamcast games, specifically listed as NTSC, and then complained that they were NTSC. You might get slightly more money selling online, but personally I'm happy to sacrifice that money for the convenience of going in-store and leaving with something new on the same day. Less hassle. 

• Like 1

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

That's a lot of copies if you're going for every console variation

Not variation, I got Madden 09 for X360 for the achievements, but I'm not getting the PSP, PS3 or Wii editions.

Just 1 edition per game, with the exception of Madden 25, 15, 16 & 17 where I got both copies, being one of them digital.

I got so far: First game SNES, Madden '93 SNES, Madden 98 PS1, Madden 2000 PS1, Madden 2001 PS2, Madden 2003 PS2, Madden 2004 PS2, Madden 2005 PS2, Madden 06 Xbox 360, Madden 07 PS2, Xbox 360, Madden 08 PS3, Xbox 360, Madden 09 Xbox 360, Madden 10 PS3, Xbox 360, Madden 11 PS3, Madden 12 PS3 (EU & NA), Madden 13 PS Vita, PS3 (EU & NA), Madden 25 PS3, PS4, Madden 15 PS4, (PS3 Digital) Madden 16 PS3, (PS4 Digital), Madden 17 PS4 (PS3 Digital)

All my phisical copies are PAL/EU versions imported from UK.

If anyone's throwing away their copy of Madden 2002 please, tell me.

• Like 1

Craigslist all the way. It's so weird seeing people "selling" their games to gamestop or any other retails. You legit get 1/4 of what you can make from selling a game.

Personally, I always hold on to a physical copy until season pass / DLCs are on sale so I can 100% it and then sell it for good...

Sometimes though I would buy a game that I really want to play (from hands cuz why wouldn't I want to save $10-20 from a brand new game), finish it, and sell it. After developers add new DLC trophies I would simply buy another copy (even cheaper now due time value), complete DLCs, and sell it for good.

Some people finding reselling games "lame" but I could never understand that...it's all about saving $$$ and getting the most out of your purchases.

Image result for never sell games meme

I don't sell my games. I've got an entire room of my house dedicated only to older system software/hardware. This way, when they bring back a reboot of the game and you spend $60 for it AGAIN, I just have to walk to the other end of the house and break it out of the library. There is no real market for software that makes any sense since you only get cents back on the original purchase price EVERYWHERE that allows trade-ins.

• Like 2