Selling Games, How Do You Do It?

SuperSaiyan3985

It's always been Ebay for me. I've always managed to sell games no problem for pretty decent prices, some even surprise me. I've never had one not sell. I list it at a starting price that if it only sells for that I won't cry. The double fee of ebay and then paypal is a bit crappy but if the buyer ends up paying though bank transfer it's always a plus. And a bonus is that you get 20 free listings a month and sometimes they have an 'only pay £1 ($1)' instead of the usual 10% cut when you sell something, you can usually list up to 100 items this way as long as it's within the time frame they set. So if you have something rare or expensive you want to sell, defo wait for that deal ?

1 hour ago, charlijaen said:

Thrown out!?

I would never throw out something that I paid $40+

You can keep it on the shelf as a collector's item. I'm trying to get every Madden Football game ever released and I have like 15 (halfway there hahaha)

You can always sell it for a couple bucks (or gift it as you said).

Edit: I only sell games that I get duplicate for self boosting or I gift them to the friend that lends me their console for the boost.

The only time I sold a game at GAME I felt so scammed and pissed that I never ever sold a game there. Paid 40 -> a month later got 7 on store credit, they put it to sell for 25.

I only paid like $2 for Madden 12.  I picked it up on a whim for my dad a few months ago when he was going through a bout of depression from his accident, and I wanted him to borrow my PS3 to see if he could have some fun with it.  That didn't really pan out, and now I'm stuck with the game. xD I'm not really into football.

I might be able to trade it into Gamestop for $0.50... I probably wouldn't get much more than that on eBay (hell I'd probably lose money on shipping).  The case actually has a cut in it that I didn't notice until i got it home... so even if I wanted to keep it for the collection, it's already tainted.  It's as good a candidate as any to be thrown out... but in all likelihood I'll keep it until I can find someone willing to pawn it off on.

Edited by Dreakon13

I have found that a lot of Madden games and just sports games in general eventually become worthless. Someone out there may be interested in that old NES or SNES Madden game you grew up playing over 20 years ago, but for the most part they're not worth much. Especially if the games have required online and the servers shut down, making them no more than a coaster to put your coffee cup on.

I have an old Madden 99 game on my N64 that released back in 1998, as well as a Ken Griffey Jr baseball game. I've tried selling them but nobody wanted them, probably because everybody on those old rosters is old and retired now. Most sports games I played a long time ago haven't aged too well.

I normally do craiglist and have a buyer meet me somewhere close. I usually get the price im asking for. There always some thatll hassle like your game is shit when I already sell at a competitive price. I just ignore those replies. I also sell on ebay whenever they give me a deal to sell. Sometimes theyll give you extra money for just selling a product! Im moving towards digital so i got quite a bit to sell but never really in a rush.

On 10/16/2017 at 1:03 PM, Juzota said:

I don't sell them.

That's exactly why I said "for anyone that sells them after finishing them."

On 10/16/2017 at 1:06 PM, Muskratateer said:

I usually go to GameStop the day of a early release, they give you like 40% extra credit.  By the time I usually sell games they are worthless anyways, (I still have dying light, mad max, ECT) so It doesn't really matter to me that I get 30 bucks for four games

No they are not worthless. I addressed the fact that people trading in their games into GameStop are getting ripped off. I sell my games on eBay several months after release and make back 50%+.

On 10/16/2017 at 1:17 PM, Kittet3 said:

I usually trade ps3 games with my brothers since neither of us are picky about what games we play.

Otherwise I recommend Amazon. I sold a textbook on there and it was super easy and then I don't have to go meet people.

Yeah same my brother and I play on the same console and pretty much the same games so we always split the price and profits of games, it's great!

On 10/16/2017 at 5:12 PM, Skadanton said:

Craigslist all the way. It's so weird seeing people "selling" their games to gamestop or any other retails. You legit get 1/4 of what you can make from selling a game.

Personally, I always hold on to a physical copy until season pass / DLCs are on sale so I can 100% it and then sell it for good...

Sometimes though I would buy a game that I really want to play (from hands cuz why wouldn't I want to save $10-20 from a brand new game), finish it, and sell it. After developers add new DLC trophies I would simply buy another copy (even cheaper now due time value), complete DLCs, and sell it for good.

Some people finding reselling games "lame" but I could never understand that...it's all about saving $$$ and getting the most out of your purchases.

Craigslist huh? I haven't heard of many people that do that TBH. I just find it out of the ordinary that someone would come to your house just to buy a game, because I always saw Craigslist as a way of selling more important stuff like cars, for instance.

I have always used ebay to sell my games. I was in GameStop just last week and decided to inquire about selling a couple of older PS3 games I currently have and sure enough, they offered me $1 cash or $2 store credit. Even after selling fees and shipping costs, ebay still puts more money in my pocket.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

I just find it out of the ordinary that someone would come to your house just to buy a game

Woah there, I would never let a stranger walk into my home lol...in fact, I doubt anyone meets at their home unless it's something that cannot be carried (yeah like a car or a PC).

Always meet somewhere in town

On 10/16/2017 at 9:58 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I split the difference and go to Amazon. I like the ability to name my price, without worrying about auctions and the like. I don't like the commission I pay, but in the end, it's never bothered me.

I always wanted to know how to sell things on Amazon. I have a PSVita 16GB Memory Card unopened that I want sell but I am afraid I will mess up the shipping when someone buys it.

Edited by TheVader66

On 10/17/2017 at 7:30 AM, TheArcadeKid said:

I'm mostly digital these days so there's not much for me to sell, but when I do, it's either Cex or GAME. I've always found Cex's rates fair, cash and especially credit.

How does the credit build up with CEX? My local one has a PS Vita (first iteration) and I felt tempted to get it.

1 hour ago, Eraezr said:

How does the credit build up with CEX? My local one has a PS Vita (first iteration) and I felt tempted to get it.

In the UK you can either do a straight swap on the same day, or you get the value on a voucher (basically a receipt slip). You can combine vouchers for the same purchase, and they last a ridiculously long time (I think the expiration date is set over a thousand years). They also have a 24-month warranty on everything, so it's well worth going to them for a Vita, although in my experience the console is hugely robust anyway. As for the rates themselves, they vary depending on what you're selling, but you should be able to check them online. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TheArcadeKid said:

In the UK you can either do a straight swap on the same day, or you get the value on a voucher (basically a receipt slip). You can combine vouchers for the same purchase, and they last a ridiculously long time (I think the expiration date is set over a thousand years). They also have a 24-month warranty on everything, so it's well worth going to them for a Vita, although in my experience the console is hugely robust anyway. As for the rates themselves, they vary depending on what you're selling, but you should be able to check them online. 

It's a thousand year like if you buy get a voucher this year 2017 it would last unyil 3027 , i thought that was crazy when i went tin Cex the 1st time . 

Since Summer i tend to go to Cex often to sell , trade in or buy some games i want to get to my collection or in case of selling or trade in , don't bother getting rid of them cause i already played /plat and don't intend to go back to it and they are common to find and cheap and also free some space for the better and hard to get games .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVader66 said:

I always wanted to know how to sell things on Amazon. I have a PSVita 16GB Memory Card unopened that I want sell but I am afraid I will mess up the shipping when someone buys it.

It's not that hard (or, at least it wasn't when I sold stuff there, though it's been a couple of years). You generally can ship things via "media mail", which is a pretty cheap shipping option. However, I usually just ship 1st class (usually, I sold collector's items that had long gone out of stock, so I was getting a plenty big premium on my sale). 

I would recommend paying for tracking, though. You can ask the post office clerk about the options, though I found that the vanilla tracking was just fine.

@SuperSaiyan3985"No  they are not worthless. I addressed the fact that people trading in their games into GameStop are getting ripped off. I sell my games on eBay several months after release and make back 50%+."

And I addressed that the games I am selling or 3 years old by now, so yes they bring in about ten bucks weather's it's eBay, GameStop, or Amazon.  So, essentially worthless to spend the time to put an ad up on eBay or go through the work to put them on Amazon.  

Recently I have tried apps like Offerup, facebook, 5 miles, and letgo (all are mobile variations of craiglist).  My only success was selling a ps3 copy of UMvC for $20 and some Rock Band/Guitar Hero instruments.  Otherwise I'm stuck with stuff I don't want anymore.  I get the occasional low ballers and people who bail out halfway.  Out of the 4, offerup is the worst.

I used to do the "trade in" option at Amazon back in college for when I needed textbook money.  Maybe I should try ebay and other online marketplaces, but all of them are PS3 games so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I'm selling a Megadrive/32x/sega cd, atari 7800's and 2600's, a panasonic 3d0, etc etc. I have doubles of all of these and in some cases 7 like the 7800's. It will be single sales on Ebay for me, I have met some very interesting people there from n64 sales. I will never sell anything I only have one of and now I'm in a bigger house I can bring everything upstairs, I think I need a bigger house because ya know, 6 Sega saturns need somewhere to live.