EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauls their Star Wars game

Undead Wolf

That's a damn shame. I really love the Deadspace franchise (have beaten the first 2, have yet to try the third).

One thing sticks out to me:

15 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said in a blog post. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

This to me screams that it is going to be a MP game with tons of micro-transactions. lol

Damn, I haven't played a lot of Visceral games, but I did want to know what happens after the Dead Space 3 DLC ending. Then there's Dante's Inferno. It's a shame to see EA mess up games, then shutting down studios. Here's hoping Bioware will be safe.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

MAP2UH8.png

This situation is just deplorable.

On the bright side, even if SP games ended up completely dying... it's not like the old ones are going anywhere. SP gamers keep complaining that they just don't have the time to try out everything there is out there... well, with the death of SP, they might just finally get that chance.

In all honesty, though, I don't think SP games will ever completely die. We'll always have Sony, Nintendo and nearly all Japanese developers Japanese devs even have much healthier gaming practices than Western devs (so far), so we'll be in good hands.

Still, even though I'm clearly a more Japanese culture-oriented person, sometimes I just want something different. And to see that single-player Western Games are slowly dying is just a shame. For everyone. Even the "weaboo-iest" among us play some Western games from time to time.

Though again, this whole thing will still be great for my wallet. Multiplayer games filled with loot boxes, microtransactions and DLC? No thanks.

8 minutes ago, EliseBear said:

I hope by " we needed to pivot the design " means we need to make it more like KotOR. Only can dream right?

That.. does not seem like the case. At all.

• Like 1

EA couldn't care less about studios, games, quality, support or people (employees or ex-ones as it will be the case). It comes down exclusively to money. That's their bottom line. Well, that's their only line. And they pretty much fucked a lot of good things along the way. And will continue the same path.

Amazingly they sell millions of game, sometimes totally undeserved.

"All about the money"

Edited by cris3f

36 minutes ago, EliseBear said:

Ding I was looking forward to a good single player star wars game looks like that won't be happening for a bit.

I hope by " we needed to pivot the design " means we need to make it more like KotOR. Only can dream right?

God I hope not, while it had a decent narrative, it plays like ass with its dungeons and dragons dice roll combat

37 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I agree, heard lots of good things about Dead Space being a horror game, so tried DS3 when it came to PS Plus... it felt like Call of Duty in space :facepalm: .

Wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to a third person shooter? 

Spoiler

I guess this was expected for quite a while. Now that EA has the Star Wars and Battlefield money train to go on they don't have to really care about their other stuff for quite a while. If they can't get BioWare to get anything good out for the next few years then the noose will tighten around them too.

Dead Space 3 was ok, it wasn't bad, but if you delve into the direction Visceral wanted to take the game and the interference of EA...you can't blame the devs.   Awful news, of the two remaining titles I wanted to see resurface this gen, Resistance and Dead Space, I guess one is shelved indefinitely.   EA, like Ubi and WB can go eff themselves, tired of all the bs, and the year started off so well too.   

As others have said, that statement stinks of wanting to monetize the SW game to death, no doubt there'll be mystery season passes costing nearly as much as the base game, micros and loot boxes everywhere, and let's not forget the pre-order fluff, I mean really worth it content.   Oh well, another game I'll be avoiding, RIP Visceral, you deserved better!

Just now, Great_MazingerZ said:

But when ?? i wanna do Dead Space 3 but what if they shut them down by tomorrow or in 2 days ?

as with online games that have been taken down, provided the game doesn't need any online component. you can get every offline trophy no issue. its online trophy's to worry about those may either make the plat unobtainable or become unobtainable (trophy's tied to online).

Just now, kingdrake2 said:

as with online games that have been taken down, provided the game doesn't need any online component. you can get every offline trophy no issue. its online trophy's to worry about those may either make the plat unobtainable or become unobtainable (trophy's tied to online).

When i said i wanna do DS 3 i meant the online of course coz it has coop online trophies

Dead Space :( Loved that series.

Executive Vice President Patrick Söderlund explained that the game, which was shaping up as “a story-based, linear adventure game” was tested internally, and the company decided that it needed a change of direction.

Online features with microtransactions incoming.

Edited by TurdFlingingApe