EA shuts down Visceral Games, overhauls their Star Wars game

Undead Wolf

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I agree, but I was mostly just making a point about Battlefront.

DS3 failed hardcore and I don't think Dante ever got a sequel (probs wrong though), so tbh knowing EA, they were gonna get locked into Star Wars or some other franchise before dying anyway. Same thing has swallowed a bunch of great dev teams over at Acti with COD.

Well before working on half of that new Star Wars they were also responsible for Battlefield Hardline, which was already an indication that things were not doing well for them under EA's foot aside Dead Space 3.

Edited by Crzy Minus

3 hours ago, RedMustang72 said:

DS2 was to DS as Aliens was to Alien imo, it was a great sequel.

DS Ignition was a cheap story book/puzzle game that took place during the necro outbreak on the station, iirc you play as the guy Isaac wakes up to at the start of 2...it was fun enough, and it did unlock a few 'safe rooms' in 2 if you had an Ignition save, but you weren't missing too much if you didn't play it.

From what I heard, Visceral wanted DS3 to be single player only, no cover mechanics and probably no micros, it was EA that messed with the game.   I didn't mind the hardcore run, it was suitably tense at moments, but I didn't like the universal ammo, albeit I understood why it was in there with the weapon creation, what I'd query is whether that was originally planned or whether it was an element introduced by EA in order to accommodate micros.   Likely the latter.   Story was poor, especially the stupid love triangle, suits were mostly meaningless and there was a distinct lack of bosses, or boss types.  It wasn't terrible, just wasn't great sadly.

I don't know, I kinda liked the feel of the first dead space game more than the second and third game, kinda somehow reminded me of the space horror movies of the mid and late 80's or something like that.

the only thing that stand out in dead space 3 was the nightmare each player get when playing the online coop, other than that the game is really boring!

they said that now you can explore other planets and space ships, the fact is that all the locations and space ships were just a copy and paste of the previous places you were in before that they just alter them a bit to looks  different.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to a third person shooter? 

Not really, both are shooters. Whether it's FPS or TPS doesn't matter for me.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

The moment I saw Electronic Arts take full control of development for The Sims franchise that Maxis made, I knew they were complete pieces of shit.

I'm going to guess that most of you were too young to remember The Sims, but it was a truly fantastic game made by Maxis where you can control your very own sims, almost like they were people. I was a part of The Sims community where we would upload and share our sims with others, then download what they have made and see all the different houses and characters they built from the ground up.

Then as the sequels came around EA got more and more involved, and eventually they took complete control of The Sims franchise and started pumping out garbage. The latest title, from what I've heard, was a complete disaster.

Simcity 5 was a terrible abomination with a bunch of licensing crap and other junk EA threw into it. It was nothing at all like Simcity 3000 or even Simcity 4 for that matter. It was no longer the same.

Then there's Westwood Studios which made Command and Conquer. The last Command and Conquer game EA developed was a travesty, and a shame to what was once a great franchise.

I've said this since 2012, but to this day EA is one of the biggest pieces of turd out there.

Bioware is next.

SimCity 3000 and Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun are still among my favourite PC games. 

11 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

SimCity 3000 and Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun are still among my favourite PC games. 

Same. I was big into RTS games back in the late 90s. I was still a kid at that time so I didn't exactly have the skills or the knowledge to succeed on higher difficulties so I generally ended up playing on Easy difficulty whenever I could.

But when you compare those to Simcity 5 and Command and Conquer 4, you can't help but know that EA really put the shit on those franchises. Especially considering the very fact that both franchises were huge, huge innovators in the gaming industry, because they brought to light a new layer of strategy that countless developers and series have followed since.

Simcity was an original, innovative concept of city building, going back to the original nearly 30 years ago. Command and Conquer paved the way for future real time strategy titles and it was the first strategy series to really become popular on the PC.

I never forgave EA for what they did to Maxis. That was pretty much the breaking point for me. The Sims was such a fantastic title, even though EA published it. But when they took control of the series themselves, it turned to shit.

Their efforts to make a city building series or a RTS series have been absolutely disastrous.

Edited by Spaz

EA = Enormous Assholes.

Seriously. Dead Space? The hell are they thinking at EA. I know that DS3 didn't fare well in the eyes of the masses and that BF: Hardline wasn't the experince that veteran Battlefield players wanted. But killing off a studio like that, one which had truly created an amazing games, atleast imo... It's a sad day indeed.

I was looking so much forward to the next installment in the series after the cliffhanger that DS3's DLC ending had, guess that's never going to happen now.

3 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Damn it i just bought DS3 oh well i guess i will try and quickly finish the Severed DLC then move on to just completing the first two games before the servers close ...

Yeah it sucks. Hopefully they'll give people enough time for the servers to remain open. I hate to hear them close very shortly after a studio has been shut down.

• Like 1

EA, like other publishers, are a bunch of assholes who will shut down a studio if any game fail, there’s no place for failures anymore with publishers. Succeed or Die! Really sad for the developers...

I guess we all agree what Jim Sterling said about EA: “If you care of the future of your company, don’t sign that fucking paper! You’re signing your studio death warrant!”, especially EA who showed us time and time again how they kill studios they acquire a few spare years.

One bright side is that we won’t see any Dead Space for yet a long time to come. DS3 was a disappointement, it went purely action and (the most insulting) it was one of the first games to introduce fucking microtransactions on consoles.

Remember when EA democratized Online Passes? These got backfired hard by gamers and all publishers went backward. Let’s hope that we can do the same with the explosions of loot boxes (in our SP games!!!) lately!

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 3

Say somehwere that one of the former developers from the first couple Dead Space games said the budget for Dead Space 2 was estimated to be around 60 million. And for the game to sell just over 4 million copies was still no anywhere close to having EA break even on the project. We're lucky we got anything after that from the sound of it. Still truly sad, as it was rumored that Viscreal had drawn up several concepts for another possible Dead Space game. 

Also fuck the Star Wars game. Read somewhere they want to take in the direction of games like Destiny and The Division. BLEH. Those games are fun, but I don't nearly invest in heavily in the so called supposed "lore" that exists because those games are meant to be played with friends. News flash video game companies: a lot of people besides myself also enjoy worthy single player only games. Not everything has to be connected....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Not really, both are shooters. Whether it's FPS or TPS doesn't matter for me.

If anything it played more like mass effect 2 or 3, with the weapon customization, universal ammo, and the cover system. 

It's a shame, but not really a suprise.

BioWare will be next unless Anthem is a big hit. I was looking forward to the Star Wars game they were working on, the new direction EA are taking just smells of make more money. I think a well made single player Star Wars game akin to Uncharted would have done very well for them, but I guess the lack of scope for new content, loot boxes, and expansions is the reason they pulled the plug.

Expect Destiny/Division Star Wars edition, but who can blame them anything with Star Wars on it is going to sell regardless of what it is, hell Battlefront 2 is basically a 60 euro game with an FTP ecnonomy and we all know it's going to sell millions of copies.

Edited by tpepper1985

8 hours ago, Crzy Minus said:

Well before working on half of that new Star Wars they were also responsible for Battlefield Hardline, which was already an indication that things were not doing well for them under EA's foot aside Dead Space 3.

Oh fuck yeah, I forgot they did that. Still stands as the only Battlefield game I've played with a story that kept me interested for more than half an hour. 

On the one hand, EA is evil. I know it, you know it, etc.

But on the other hand, is it really that bad for gamers if these studios get shut down? People have a nostalgia for previous games in these series, but the fact is, the later games are pretty lackluster. For example, a lot of people are talking about Bioware getting shut down. But honestly, who cares? Yeah - I enjoyed Dragon Age, and really liked ME and ME2. But ME3 was mediocre, and I didn't even bother with Andromeda. Probably, Bioware will make the next Dragon Age (should it come out) some action RPG with required multiplayer, so honestly, let them die. This will open the door for new IPs to take their place (and, in a crowded gaming marketplace, this is useful).

I prefer this evil to the alternative: a world where Nintendoes and Squeenixes just keeps milking their decades-old IPs...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

On the one hand, EA is evil. I know it, you know it, etc.

But on the other hand, is it really that bad for gamers if these studios get shut down? People have a nostalgia for previous games in these series, but the fact is, the later games are pretty lackluster. For example, a lot of people are talking about Bioware getting shut down. But honestly, who cares? Yeah - I enjoyed Dragon Age, and really liked ME and ME2. But ME3 was mediocre, and I didn't even bother with Andromeda. Probably, Bioware will make the next Dragon Age (should it come out) some action RPG with required multiplayer, so honestly, let them die. This will open the door for new IPs to take their place (and, in a crowded gaming marketplace, this is useful).

I prefer this evil to the alternative: a world where Nintendoes and Squeenixes just keeps milking their decades-old IPs...

I second this

EA have killed off so many great game studios is fucking depressing... they must be campaigning for worst company of the year again. It's been a long time since I last bought an EA game, the only EA game I tend to buy now is Need for Speed, and I may think twice about buying Payback.

11 minutes ago, DividedByMankind said:

Does this mean DS3 coop will no longer function guys? :( Or? 

Generally a closure of a studio has no effect on the online servers and they remain as functional as they were before. If EA were to close the servers for this game then they will announce it here: https://www.ea.com/service-updates

• Like 1

Funny that many microtransactions and loot boxes lovers are bashing on EA because of this, when (as many have pointed out) the main reason for EA to kill Visceral was for designing the Star Wars game as a typical single player game with little space to accommodate micros there. 

Next stop for the micros: Darksiders 3.

with visceral gone there is nothing left in EA for me. stopped caring about battlefield long ago, and never cared about new battlefront.

I was a huge fan of dead space, and it's a great shame that EA sabotaged Dead Space 3 for corporate greed then axed Visceral when the game didn't meet their unrealistic sales expectations.

Edited by Anders_Fearer

10 hours ago, Venocide said:

EA have killed off so many great game studios is fucking depressing... they must be campaigning for worst company of the year again. It's been a long time since I last bought an EA game, the only EA game I tend to buy now is Need for Speed, and I may think twice about buying Payback.

Same. I think the last EA game I bought was Dragon Age Inquisition, and that ended up being a huge disappointment... They haven't made anything genuinely worth playing in a long time, I swear. I wish more people would stop supporting them. They'd be forced to change their ways then.

10 minutes ago, GoldenShaka said:

Funny that many microtransactions and loot boxes lovers are bashing on EA because of this, when (as many have pointed out) the main reason for EA to kill Visceral was for designing the Star Wars game as a typical single player game with little space to accommodate micros there. 

Run that one by me again, because it sounds like you just contradicted yourself.

• Like 2

On that list of closed studios I am not 100% Bioware might be on that in the next few years Anthem needs to be huge for them to be ok I think 

I really was hyped for this game but as a Multi player Destiny type I don't give a damn about it if it has single player stuff like Destiny I will play that after renting it but will not touch the MP part 

My main take away is this is Disney fault they should never have sold to one company and just let companies take on games some of my fav star wars games are pc game the tie fighter and x wing series and empire at war games we will never see again with just one company having all the rights

Edited by Romanus1

And so EA shuts down another studio that really didn't need to be shut down. I was already angry with them for shutting down Maxis a few years ago and of Westwood and Pandemic Studios so this only further harbors my resentment towards them. 

R.I.P. 

Image result for maxis

(1987-2015)

Related image

(1998-2009)

Image result for westwood studios

(1985-2003)

Visceral Games.png

(1998-2017)