For Premiums: Abilitiy to Change Country

After talking to my friend in Liechtenstein, a microstate with only 37.000 residents, sandwiched between Austria and Switzerland, I thought it might be a good idea to have the option to change the country of the PSN profile. There are numerous countries that cannot be chosen when creating a PSN account. Major countries like China or Argentina have been added ages after the start of the PSN. The most prominent player might be Hakoom. He is Bahraini but is account is US. To avoid abuse, only premium users should have this option - and only a single time.

What do you think?

Edit: I'm talking about the leaderboards on this site.

Edited by German_Atheist
  • Like 1

I guess he only means the flag displayed on your psnprofiles' profile. As far as I know, it can be done on another trophy hunting website, but only premium members can do that. I don't know if that affects the leaderboards though.

I like the idea. 

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

I do believe it's a good idea and anyone who complains just needs to mind their own business, it doesn't affect anyone, if someone changes their country to yours to get #1 in a country then you need to step your game up. I've known plenty of people who had issues creating a PSN account for their own country, one of my friends was Hungarian but Hungary wasn't an option so he chose Australia. Some people couldn't choose Latin American countries for a long time, so they chose USA as their country, some countries didn't have a PSN Store, so some people made their main account into the account that they'd use the store on. I've always thought when I see USA as a country on here that the person could be from anywhere, because a lot of the time those people create a USA account for the superior store. On Xbox Live, they allow people to change their country through the system, PSN is simply inferior to Xbox Live in a lot of ways, but I don't think it would breach any terms and conditions by Sony to display your country on this website as something different, I mean PSNP does say they're not affiliated with Sony in any way, so they can't be held responsible for people's display country on their profile. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sergen said:

but I don't think it would breach any terms and conditions by Sony to display your country on this website as something different, I mean PSNP does say they're not affiliated with Sony in any way, so they can't be held responsible for people's display country on their profile. 

This is a PSNP thing and has absolutely nothing to do with Sony. This suggestion is solely made for people who were forced to pick a country that isn't their actual one. You already mentioned Latin America. I know three gamers from Mongolia (!) who had no choice but to pick a different country. It's very unlikely that Sony will ever support this secluded country (amongst countless others). Almost the entire African continent is being ignored. South Africa being the only exception iirc.

Edited by Sargon
  • Like 1

This sounds like it'll be confusing since different country accounts have different games, so if I look at a USA account and see vita games from Europe I'd be completely baffled. You can change your location on the forums which is where most people who was interested would look. Unless you mean only on leaderboards and not even the flag on your profile, but at that point people will get confused why people with the same country account would have a higher/lower ranking at similar trophy levels.

10 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

This sounds like it'll be confusing since different country accounts have different games, so if I look at a USA account and see vita games from Europe I'd be completely baffled. You can change your location on the forums which is where most people who was interested would look. Unless you mean only on leaderboards and not even the flag on your profile, but at that point people will get confused why people with the same country account would have a higher/lower ranking at similar trophy levels.

I'm gonna explain this for the last time:
If you're from, let's say, Egypt, you cannot choose Egypt when creating a PSN account. You have to choose something else. This option is for those players. A player from Egypt would most likely to be in a ranking with other Egyptian gamers. As I mentioned in my first post, Hakoom is the most prominent example for this issue. His account is an American one because his native Bahrain was not supported at the time he created his account.

Btw, your last sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Just now, Sargon said:

I'm gonna explain this for the last time:
If you're from, let's say, Egypt, you cannot choose Egypt when creating a PSN account. You have to choose something else. This option is for those players. A player from Egypt would most likely to be in a ranking with other Egyptian gamers. As I mentioned in my first post, Hakoom is the most prominent example for this issue. His account is an American one because his native Bahrain was not supported at the time he created his account.

Btw, your last sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

I understand that part.

If you don't change the flag on your profile, but just had the ability to switch your leaderboards, then two people of the same trophy level and of the same flag on there profile could have vastly different rankings, which would be confusing unless you resign the trophy cards and profile banner.

If you do change the flag on your profile, it'll make it confusing when looking at region locked content, especially for boosting or determining the region of a new trophy list. Vita content cannot be used across regions, as well as some server content.

6 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

If you don't change the flag on your profile, but just had the ability to switch your leaderboards, then two people of the same trophy level and of the same flag on there profile could have vastly different rankings, which would be confusing unless you resign the trophy cards and profile banner.

This makes no sense.

Edited by Sargon

I support this.

I live in Chile and I'm obligated to use a NA account so I can take full advantage of what PSN can offer. If I use a CL account I could lose access to tons of things, like avatars for example, my precious Trails of Cold Steel avatars can't be found on any latinamerican store.

But I'm not interested in the NA leaderboard. I would love to compete in my local leaderboard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Uhm, things like this run automatically...

You still don't understand, I'll try again.

Gamer A and Gamer B both have American accounts, so the USA flag is on there account. They are also both level 25 with 72% until the next level. They are rankings 10200 and 10201, respectively.

Gamer A switches leaderboards to Antarctica because they are actually a penguin. Now there leaderboards ranking is 1.

However, by looking at there cards, they both have the American flag on it and it's not intuitive to determine that Gamer A's country rank is actually Antarctica and not the USA.

EDIT: This has been suggested before: 

When i joined the site, not repeating threads was a big thing, not sure if that's still the sentiment. But those outlined the major issues with this

Edited by Kittet3

18 minutes ago, Sargon said:

Since nobody lives in Antarctica this example is utter bullshit. Also, by checking the IP address, abuse can be prevented.

Kittet has been perfectly polite and clarifying any confusing points. There is zero reason to be rude. If that confuses you then imagine if I changed to America my country rank would no longer be in the 80s but would drop to the 170s.

This would result in a hundred topics of people yelling at sly for breaking the leaderboards. IP addresses can be faked, so that solves nothing and people want to be as high as possible on any leaderboard as they can.

You can call sony customer services in your country and try them get loads of people to ask on twitter and something might happen. Chances are Sony USA which wouldve got most people to get an american account would refuse as they like having more money from around the world.

Ultimately this wont happen as you can uses games from other countries accounts if you mark them as a primary. Excluding the Vita which as mentioned above would cause even more confusion.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1