Yet Another F2P Card Game - be careful!

Skadanton

As I keep seeing more and more people starting to play the game let me warn you about couple of things:

PROS:

• Pretty interesting mechanic, not as simple as Hearthstone but not as complex as Magic (at first)

• Cards' art is pretty impressive and it's always cool to see a new card

• Trophies are pretty simple and easy, the only hard one is for beating a Platinum player (which requires to climb pretty high in borderlands)

and another one for completing 100 rank games (which just takes a while but let's be honest, other F2P games have insane #1000 requirements)

• Once you get used to games' mechanics it's actually straight up FUN to play over and over again

• Can play / practice vs AI if desired

• Starting decks are actually more than oke

• Lots of tournaments that you can participate in and win goodies 

CONS:

• God awful optimization, if you tried PoxNora (another F2P card game) it's not better one bit in terms of UI navigation with a controller

• Lags...god the transitions from screen to screen sometimes are just painful to watch

• No option to turn of crossplay --- THIS IS HUGE!

Similar to PoxNora this game has been out on PC for a while; in the game where each match depends on who you will face (and their deck) you - a player who just started playing might face a PC player with a *premium* deck that will crash your face without any hesitation. Sadly...you cannot turn of crossplay so just pray that you will play a fair game against a PS4 player.

• It's a loooooooooong type of game...like really long. A rank match consist of best out of 3; on average each match takes about 8-10 minutes (so at least 16-20 min due to best of 3) + a 2 minute break in between matches.

• You have to be present at all times - unlike Heartstone where you can play your turn and chill until it's your turn again, in here you have to always press "triangle" to continue. Incredibly annoying at the beginning but you get used to it.

• Awful tutorial...I don't even

That's it folks, I've been playing this game for the entire day and it had some cool moments...unfortunately it also had some god-awful-why-the-hell moments.

If you have anything to add - please do!

Edited by Skadanton
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 8:24 AM, Soufwar said:

I never played any of these games. However, the way you’re pointing the cons makes me want stay away from this! Like seriously how long does it take to win 100 ranked matches and find a platinum player and then beat them? 

Since it's a ladder rank system, it's much easier to stay at the bottom to get 100 wins but the problem is with finding and beating platinum player.

I got to gold 4 and started facing glad, plat, and *cosmic* opponents. Some gold opponents are winnable but anyone above that (only PC players) just obliterate me.

Definitely takes more skill (+luck) than time. On average you can play about 2-3 games in an hour.

Edited by Skadanton

6 hours ago, Skadanton said:

Since it's a ladder rank system, it's much easier to stay at the bottom to get 100 wins but the problem is with finding and beating platinum player.

I got to gold 4 and started facing glad, plat, and *cosmic* opponents. Some gold opponents are winnable but anyone above that (only PC players) just obliterate me.

Definitely takes more skill (+luck) than time. On average you can play about 2-3 games in an hour.

Can you chat with who you’re playing? 

14 hours ago, Soufwar said:

Can you chat with who you’re playing? 

No, there's no in-game chat or even a quick chat function similar to Heartstone.

The only way to communicate would be through PSN but this obviously only works with PS4 players and not PC players.

• Like 1

No, there's no in-game chat or even a quick chat function similar to Heartstone.

The only way to communicate would be through PSN but this obviously only works with PS4 players and not PC players.

Man thats a but disappointing! I thought you could beg the guy you’re playing to lose the game for you to unlock a trophy! 

10 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Is our progress shared between PC and PS4?

Highly unlikely, PoxNora had this feature but and the game asked you about account transfer right of the bat; here when you load the game for the first time it only says "Creating an account".

Highly unlikely, PoxNora had this feature but and the game asked you about account transfer right of the bat; here when you load the game for the first time it only says "Creating an account".

Ok, thanks. That's to bad because my access tothe ps4 is limited.. alsoI noticed that the game isn't out in Europe, so if I was to play it downloading from my US alt, I would need to play it as a 100% free player, and I don't know if the 100% would be viable that way.

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

On 10/18/2017 at 7:45 AM, Skadanton said:

• You have to be present at all times - unlike Heartstone where you can play your turn and chill until it's your turn again, in here you have to always press "triangle" to continue. Incredibly annoying at the beginning but you get used to it.

I feel like this con is pretty standard though in most (older (not really into the newer, so I dont know)) card games, atleast yu-gi-oh and magic comes to mind. I also got a question about it, since yu-gi-oh duel links allows you to turn it off whenever you like and you can turn it on when you want to use something with an extra button, so if you can't do anything you dont have to press and the opponent wont be interrupted. Is that also possible here?

I also think that the tutorial isn't that bad (on PC it wasn't anyways), however it isn't great either.

On 10/23/2017 at 5:34 AM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, thanks. That's to bad because my access tothe ps4 is limited.. alsoI noticed that the game isn't out in Europe, so if I was to play it downloading from my US alt, I would need to play it as a 100% free player, and I don't know if the 100% would be viable that way.

Playing it myself as "100% free player", while it is definitely much easier to just pay for a premium ready-to-play deck, it's possible to build a good deck using in-game currency only (but all cards will be random - and there are a sh*t tons of cards).

In fact, you get a lot of gold by leveling, completing tutorial quests (small navigational challenges), and climbing the rank ladder.

Just like with a full PC version, you can buy and sell specific cards from other players through deck builder using both currencies...though some of them cost $$$$ *a lot*. You also get to choose one complete deck for free - and it's a pretty good one.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:01 AM, Bumperklever said:

I also got a question about it, since yu-gi-oh duel links allows you to turn it off whenever you like and you can turn it on when you want to use something with an extra button, so if you can't do anything you dont have to press and the opponent wont be interrupted. Is that also possible here?

Yes and no, when you get a prompt with "press triangle" you can hold it instead - that will automatically skip all next prompts so you don't have to press them.

That being said you have to hold triangle every turn (yours and opponents) again and again...and it takes about ~2 seconds to register holding.

Edited by Skadanton

On 24/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Skadanton said:

Playing it myself as "100% free player", while it is definitely much easier to just pay for a premium ready-to-play deck, it's possible to build a good deck using in-game currency only (but all cards will be random - and there are a sh*t tons of cards).

In fact, you get a lot of gold by leveling, completing tutorial quests (small navigational challenges), and climbing the rank ladder.

Just like with a full PC version, you can buy and sell specific cards from other players through deck builder using both currencies...though some of them cost $$$$ *a lot*. You also get to choose one complete deck for free - and it's a pretty good one.

Yes and no, when you get a prompt with "press triangle" you can hold it instead - that will automatically skip all next prompts so you don't have to press them.

That being said you have to hold triangle every turn (yours and opponents) again and again...and it takes about ~2 seconds to register holding.

Thanks, it sounds good enough to for me to start.. I think I will try it on my alt, and decide if I like it from that.

Also I'm guessing there's no chance of it being released in EU right?

Answering my own questing.. this is supposedly going togetan EU release soon, so I will waitabit longer before I start it.

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

• 6 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:45 AM, Skadanton said:

As I keep seeing more and more people starting to play the game let me warn you about couple of things:

PROS:

• Pretty interesting mechanic, not as simple as Hearthstone but not as complex as Magic (at first)

• Trophies are pretty simple and easy, the only hard one is for beating a Platinum player (which requires to climb pretty high in borderlands)

and another one for completing 100 rank games (which just takes a while but let's be honest, other F2P games have insane #1000 requirements)

• Once you get used to games' mechanics it's actually straight up FUN to play over and over again

CONS:

• God awful optimization, if you tried PoxNora (another F2P card game) it's not better one bit in terms of UI navigation with a controller

• Lags...god the transitions from screen to screen sometimes are just painful to watch

Similar to PoxNora this game has been out on PC for a while; in the game where each match depends on who you will face (and their deck) you - a player who just started playing might face a PC player with a *premium* deck that will crash your face without any hesitation. Sadly...you cannot turn of crossplay so just pray that you will play a fair game against a PS4 player.

• It's a loooooooooong type of game...like really long. A rank match consist of best out of 3; on average each match takes about 8-10 minutes (so at least 16-20 min due to best of 3) + a 2 minute break in between matches.

That's it folks, I've been playing this game for the entire day and it had some cool moments...unfortunately it also had some god-awful-why-the-hell moments.

Real is 100 rank wins glitched. Because no one has it.  Looks fun tho

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:45 AM, Skadanton said:

PROS:

CONS:

Alright, after a few months and a few dozen updates. Is the game better now on PS4? Did they fix the UI navigation and added some quality of life features? Or is it a broken mess of a game everyone should stay away from? 

• 1 year later...