Should I pre-order?

So I finally got around to looking at Star Wars Battlefront II and I have to say, the trailers look damn good. I was always a fan of the originals. Me and my friend Brandon would spend hours just playing them. I never got the the Battlefront EA since the reviews warned me ahead of time and another friend confirmed how bad it was. I missed being able to play the beta but from what I have heard, Its like playing the originals again with a fresh coat of paint and added characters and features.

Hearing that alone makes me wanna slap down a pre-order but...theres still a part of me holding me back by my shirt and saying "wait you idiot, just wait". So I would like to know from anyone who played the beta or whatever, whether I should be paying Gamestop a visit this weekend for a pre-order or not.

I haven't played the beta, but as an avid preorder-er... ask yourself...

Do you care if you get burned (ie. if the game sucks or isn't what you're hoping it is, will you wish you hadn't)?

If that answer is yes... wait and see how the reviews look.  Maybe wait for a sale or get it cheaper on Amazon or eBay or something.

If that answer is no... then go get dat preorder, yo.  Don't let the inevitable anti-preorder naysayers sway you.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

I played the beta, a lot of the game felt more like a battlefront experience as apposed to a battlefield experience.   Of course you can never tap the nostalgia of the original bf2, and sure it's closer to the original than the first reboot, but it does feel different.  I enjoyed my time with the beta for the most part and I liked the class set ups.  You're asking if you should pre order and that's entirely up to you, I have the early access version pre ordered right now and I can confidently say that I am keeping it pre ordered.  Now, I originally enjoyed the beta for battlefront and disliked the game in the end so hopefully this one doesn't turn out the same

The only question I have to ask is this.  What will you get from pre-ordering that you would not get from buying it day 1 or shortly after?  This is not a game that will have limited stock, so it is highly unlikely that you would not be able to find it day one.  If there is something you want that they are providing as a pre-order bonus, then sure, but if you don't get anything substantial from pre-ordering, I don't understand the point.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

The only question I have to ask is this.  What will you get from pre-ordering that you would not get from buying it day 1 or shortly after?  This is not a game that will have limited stock, so it is highly unlikely that you would not be able to find it day one.  If there is something you want that they are providing as a pre-order bonus, then sure, but if you don't get anything substantial from pre-ordering, I don't understand the point.

All I know right now is if you preorder, you get access to the Last Jedi Heros

Now that would be cool, but i played and enjoyed games without extra characters before

Edited by Stargazer2600

7 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

If there is something you want that they are providing as a pre-order bonus, then sure, but if you don't get anything substantial from pre-ordering, I don't understand the point.

1 minute ago, SkyMason said:

You'll miss diddly squat if you just be a little more patient and wait for reviews/reality of the game. Nothing to gain from pre-ordering, just more risk.

Why, the point/what you gain is the joy of playing the game as soon as humanly possible!  It's not a great reason to pre-order, but it's all the reason I typically need.

Before doing anything you should be aware that the in-game character progression is based exclusively on the game's lootbox microtransactions, meaning that unless that's changed between now and the release date (unlikely given EA), the game is extremely pay-to-win:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-09-star-wars-battlefront-2-has-a-loot-crate-problem

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/11/16449428/star-wars-battlefront-2-microtransactions-loot-crates-beta

http://www.gamesradar.com/heres-how-star-wars-battlefront-2s-progression-will-work-levels-loot-crates-and-star-cards/

If you're comfortable with that kind of abusive business model then there's no harm for you in preordering. But if those allegations cause you any concern, I recommend avoiding the game entirely unless they're proven false.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

Why, the point/what you gain is the joy of playing the game as soon as humanly possible!  It's not a great reason to pre-order, but it's all the reason I typically need.

If you have the ability to travel around town, you could just go to the store on your way home that day (or often big games like this would have midnight launches) and buy the game day one if you so choose.  Even if you have to wait a whole extra day, personally I would not think it worth the risk if you are on the fence about the game, to the point where it needs to be asked if you should pre-order it.  I do pre-order some games, but they are games that I would buy and play even if they are terrible (Need for Speed, Rainbow Skies (when the option arises to pre-order), Ni No Kuni 2).  Most games I wait for the reviews to come out before I jump in.  So it just depends what camp you are in, but if the question needs to be asked, I would suspect it isn't a "pre-order with no questions asked" situation.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I haven't played the beta, but as an avid preorder-er... ask yourself...

Do you care if you get burned (ie. if the game sucks or isn't what you're hoping it is, will you wish you hadn't)?

If that answer is yes... wait and see how the reviews look.  Maybe wait for a sale or get it cheaper on Amazon or eBay or something.

If that answer is no... then go get dat preorder, yo.  Don't let the inevitable anti-preorder naysayers sway you.

Is there honestly a person in this world who doesn't care if s/he gets burned by a purchase? :blink:

8 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

If you have the ability to travel around town, you could just go to the store on your way home that day (or often big games like this would have midnight launches) and buy the game day one if you so choose.  

Yeah, I still don't get the pre-order thing. I remember back in the days of cartridges, pre-orders were useful because cartridges had very limited stocks, and reprints took a long time (if they happened at all). But in the age of disc-based gaming (to say nothing of digital gaming, where everything is at your fingertips), it just doesn't seem as great, unless you are given great bonuses that are unavailable to people who wait.

16 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

If you have the ability to travel around town, you could just go to the store on your way home that day (or often big games like this would have midnight launches) and buy the game day one if you so choose.  Even if you have to wait a whole extra day, personally I would not think it worth the risk if you are on the fence about the game, to the point where it needs to be asked if you should pre-order it.  I do pre-order some games, but they are games that I would buy and play even if they are terrible (Need for Speed, Rainbow Skies (when the option arises to pre-order), Ni No Kuni 2).  Most games I wait for the reviews to come out before I jump in.  So it just depends what camp you are in, but if the question needs to be asked, I would suspect it isn't a "pre-order with no questions asked" situation.

I'm very much so the type to want to try a game first-hand instead of counting on reviews or gamer opinions.  Gamers are, by and large, possibly the most insufferable idiots I've seen (no offense)... and I've found reviews pretty hit and miss as far as representing how I'd actually feel about a game.  By the time a game comes out, I typically know enough about it to determine if it's something I want to give a shot to.

In light of that... there's virtually no benefit to me waiting.  The sooner I have it paid for, the quicker I'm in and out of Gamestop after work, the sooner I'm home playing.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't pre-order everything I buy/play... but I don't hesitate to if it's something I know I'll want.

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is there honestly a person in this world who doesn't care if s/he gets burned by a purchase? :blink:

I pre-ordered The Evil Within 2 for $60.  I didn't really like it.  I sold it on eBay for $50 a day or two later.

I got burned by the purchase in the sense that it wasn't what I hoped it'd be... but I can't say I really care.  The $10 hit was worth deciding for myself if I liked the game.

Plus, games are an interesting beast.  It's possible to feel disappointed/burned by a purchase, but still enjoy it enough to not necessarily wish you had the money back.  Unless the game just flat out doesn't boot up.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

This is a question only you can answer. I preorder games only if I'm really invested in it or if it is part of a series I already support. I don't care at all about reviews because the only person who knows what I will like is me.

I preordered Battlefront II immediately after seeing it played at E3 this year, and after hearing everything I have and seeing what I have seen, I know I am going to love it.

5 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Yeah but expectations very rarely match reality, you don't want to play the actual product, you want to play your 'idea' of what the product will be. It can be a brilliant game and the best thing ever, but it's best to temper your expectations and lessen the likelihood of getting burnt bad by a crappy game and misleading marketing.

You will either lose a few days of being able to play the game, or your hard earned cash because you jumped the gun and let your heart speak for your head.

I know which option I would pick.

4 hours ago, Freelancer Tex said:

This is a question only you can answer. I preorder games only if I'm really invested in it or if it is part of a series I already support. I don't care at all about reviews because the only person who knows what I will like is me.

I preordered Battlefront II immediately after seeing it played at E3 this year, and after hearing everything I have and seeing what I have seen, I know I am going to love it.

Did you like Battlefront 1?

25 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Yeah but expectations very rarely match reality, you don't want to play the actual product, you want to play your 'idea' of what the product will be. It can be a brilliant game and the best thing ever, but it's best to temper your expectations and lessen the likelihood of getting burnt bad by a crappy game and misleading marketing.

You will either lose a few days of being able to play the game, or your hard earned cash because you jumped the gun and let your heart speak for your head.

Like I said, I'd take my first-hand account of playing a game over whatever a reviewer tries to convey as far as whether a game is right for me... and I DEFINITELY wouldn't trust what your average internet user has to say about, well, anything.

I'm a pretty smart guy, I tend to know what I'm getting into with new games thanks to steadily following the industry news and not falling too easily for misleading information (from the publisher/developer or from stupid people jumping to conclusions).  Even knew The Evil Within 2 was going to be a generic open world game and went through with it anyways... just didn't expect it to be THAT generic.  Which waiting wouldn't have helped "inform" me anyways since people seem to like it. xD

The only reason that I, personally, would wait on a game is if I intended to save some cash.  Which isn't a bad practice, but it means I'd be waiting more than a few hours or days for a sale or a much cheaper secondhand copy.  No reason to wait around for 6 months to save $15 because Joe Blow on YouTube told me a game I want wasn't good.  If I wants it, I gets it.  Until I'm no longer so fortunate as to afford such financial leniency anyways.  Thankfully, I only "wants" a handful of games each year... give or take.

Edited by Dreakon13

There are many reasons to pre-order.

1) To get exclusive quests, items, weapons etc...

2)Just cause you love the series or franchise

3)Or you want to try out the game or play it right away

At the end of the day, it is your money to spend how you want. Go ahead if you wish to get the game on pre-order. 

If you feel like you get *burned*, I will use it loosely, then I wouldn't know what to say. That is based on your own opinion if you felt that way.

Either way GAME ON! :)

I played the Beta and didn't really enjoy it, to me it felt like the previous game with a few improvements. That isn't to say the previous game was bad, just not my cup of tea, that being said though, if you didn't enjoy the previous game or didn't play it because your friend said it was awful then I don't think you'll enjoy this one either. 

Parker

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I say I would. I wouldn't say burned just be like.... "But....but people said this and that". After while I just care for my own opinion of a game. No one buys them for me, so my own opinion would be valid I guess? But yea I wouldn't be burned at all after a purchase :)

It's more along the line of *Taking a chance* :)

Edited by syumisan

Highly recommend against pre-ordering. The only reason to do so is if it will be an item that could genuinely be hard to obtain on release, e.g. a very niche game or a collector's edition. Any other reason (I can think of) is a con. Plus look at it this way, is potentially being stuck with a bad game and not waiting for patches and price drops, worth maybe some content that has been cut out and being able to play it day 1? Ultimately it is up to you.

3 hours ago, SkyMason said:

I know which option I would pick.

Did you like Battlefront 1?

No I didn't. It was nothing like it should have been. A barebones multiplayer with hardly any of the iconic characters from the trilogy, a barely there survival mode, a shitty progression system and awful customization. It was a half finished mediocre product.

Everything about Battlefront II looks like a huge improvement. I don't care about the loot boxes or microtransactions because I don't let optional stuff dictate my enjoyment (and I will never use the online anyway). I preordered this game for the offline multiplayer and singleplayer, which should should have been part of the 2015 game anyway.

Edited by Freelancer Tex

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Like I said, I'd take my first-hand account of playing a game over whatever a reviewer tries to convey as far as whether a game is right for me... and I DEFINITELY wouldn't trust what your average internet user has to say about, well, anything.

I'm a pretty smart guy, I tend to know what I'm getting into with new games thanks to steadily following the industry news and not falling too easily for misleading information (from the publisher/developer or from stupid people jumping to conclusions).  Even knew The Evil Within 2 was going to be a generic open world game and went through with it anyways... just didn't expect it to be THAT generic.  Which waiting wouldn't have helped "inform" me anyways since people seem to like it. xD

The only reason that I, personally, would wait on a game is if I intended to save some cash.  Which isn't a bad practice, but it means I'd be waiting more than a few hours or days for a sale or a much cheaper secondhand copy.  No reason to wait around for 6 months to save $15 because Joe Blow on YouTube told me a game I want wasn't good.  If I wants it, I gets it.  Until I'm no longer so fortunate as to afford such financial leniency anyways.  Thankfully, I only "wants" a handful of games each year... give or take.

Okay, fair enough, but in your post before you made it sound like only your excitement for the upcoming game should be the judge of whether or not you should get it. I'm not implying that you should wait for some YouTuber to give his take on it, or anyone specifically, but waiting for the mist to clear and just getting a better idea from all sorts of people and places then you'll have a better notion of whether or not the marketing was complete bullshit. Nothing will ever be better than your own personal judgment, but IMO it's always wise to wait and see if the devs have done the following -

1. Released a broken,unplayable game (i.e. Arkham Knight on PC, Bayonetta on PS3)

2. Flat out lied about how the game functions and actually plays (No Man's Sky)

3. Held back content and released an unfinished game (FFXV)

4. Put day one DLC and endless microtransactions 'for the players' (activision, WB games, EA)

As soon as I have a better idea if it passes these tests (though im sure there are other things, this is just off the top of my head), then yeah, if I'm that into it, I'll give it a go myself. I just won't waste my money and put money down beforehand because there is no guarantee even from the big publishers that games won't have these problems Day One.

7 hours ago, Freelancer Tex said:

No I didn't. It was nothing like it should have been. A barebones multiplayer with hardly any of the iconic characters from the trilogy, a barely there survival mode, a shitty progression system and awful customization. It was a half finished mediocre product.

Everything about Battlefront II looks like a huge improvement. I don't care about the loot boxes or microtransactions because I don't let optional stuff dictate my enjoyment (and I will never use the online anyway). I preordered this game for the offline multiplayer and singleplayer, which should should have been part of the 2015 game anyway.

That is especially surprising that you are excited for the second one, especially if you really didn't like the first. It's your money and I can't change your mind, but the singleplayer will probably be very short even if it is any good in the first place - you don't know if it is, you're only basing it off their marketing, which is showing you the best possible representation of that product anyway. The bulk of their budget will be for the MP experience - simply because that is because where they will make all of their money. It is being put in the game simply to tick boxes as far as I am concerned.

You said everything about the game looks like a huge improvement, that isn't necessarily true, it just means their marketing is doing their job. Wouldn't you rather just a couple days from launch to be sure? I'd be bummed out if I pre-ordered a game like that for the SP and then read on launch that "SINGLE PLAYER EXPERIENCE ONLY 3 HOURS LONG AND RUSHED". That's an exaggeration obviously (and one I'd wish to not be true because I'd actually like to play through a Star Wars game like that), but it's all just a crapshoot until launch.

I just ask myself a simple question - have EA actually managed to deliver a compelling campaign in one of their FPS games? Answer to that question is a clear no, they have ALL been focused on multiplayer experiences and the single player modes have always been short, tritely written, and basically extended tutorials for the multiplayer experience (which I will again remind you, is where they are making all of their money).

Which should I rely on when making this decision - EA's marketing, or what they have actually managed to deliver on to date?