Why are Platinums so valuable?

theSpirae

Platinums are as fun as they can be.

Maybe you're not interested in them

Maybe you'll only be interested in easy platinums

Maybe you'll like the easy ones so much that you'll play whatever so you can get them

Maybe you'll want to get some hard ones

Maybe you'll only want to plat harder games

The important thing is that you're having fun

• Like 2

This is my personal opinion. I am warning so people won't jump on me.

Platinums for video games actually have *no* value at all. The *value* status is base on that person's opinion.

If you wish to collect the platinum trophies? Hey by all means, that's up to you.

If you wish to collect the platinum trophies for someone else to *notice* you? You got another thing coming. What you play shouldn't be based by someone else.

Next, only trophy sites like these give them "value" because that is what the site is for right? Track how many, Ultra Rares, Commons and total trophy count. Again, that is based on the person *own* opinion what the platinum means.

The *devaluing* of platinums is also based on opinion. So what if the person has 10 stacks of Sound and Shapes? Did you buy it for them? So what if the person has My Name Is Mayo? Once again did you buy it for them? What they have on *their* account is theirs isn't it?

Also if you wish to have a perfect list for yourself on how you want your *platinums* by all means. It is your account, your money and your games.

GAME ON!  

• Like 2

GAME ON I agree. Platinums - and trophies in general - are a great extra bit of fun for what is already a fun hobby. I have not been trophy hunting for a long time and it's hard to find the time or energy sometimes. But I do enjoy having a little bit of everything in my profile because that is what I like and my profile should reflect that I feel. Sometimes I enjoy playing a Telltale game in bed on my Vita just to relax. And sometimes I enjoy going all out to play a game on a hard difficulty just to get a certain trophy.

What I like most about ttophies is that they sometimes really do tempt me get into a game much deeper than I normally would. Would I have ever made it to 20 minutes in Endurance in Pool Nation if it had not been for the gold trophy at the end? Nah, I would have quite long before. But that made the moment that I actually finally got it so much sweeter... I had tried for about 2 years at that point! :D

And I enjoy racing games, but if it wasn't for trophies I would probably never even finish a whole season. I would just hotlap in my favourite car on my favourite track. Now I am politely "forced" to actually drive just about everyting. And funnily enough, I am actually having a far better time than I used to!

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
Typo

Platinums are worthless and the only value they have is how much you see in them, but as with anything attached to a leaderboard people seem to rate them as having some kind of prestige attached to them. I can definitely understand and respect the effort that goes into the skill based ones. However, just getting a platinum in itself is meaningless and if you're just tryinig to acquire a tally just to impress people or boast by acquiring easy plats or paying for them, I'd feel sorry for you if that was the only way you could earn people's respect. I'm also saying that as a gamer who rates higher on these psn leaderboards then i'd probably rate in the world in pretty much anything. But I'd much rather people say I know Buu he's that guy who *insert positive comment here* and not oh yeah I know him from the PSN leaderboards.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sagaan said:

U get the fullest content out of a game when u go for the plats. U buy a game finish it, then u can bounce for the trophies to enjoy it even longer. On snes ps 1-2 times i did on games dat i liked all dang it had to offer.Now i get a reward for doing so xd. 

Is that true? I thought you can get Plat without 100% (DLCs). In that case, you're not really getting the fullest content out of a game.

Because it adds replay value, and earning that coveted platinum is a reward for dedication, perseverance and challenging yourself in new ways. A platinum can make you play a game in ways you otherwise wouldn't try, and it can give you incentive to try new things. 

I love platinums but I suck at getting them.  I only go for them in games I REALLY enjoy, but it has opened up a whole new level of gaming for me.

32 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

Is that true? I thought you can get Plat without 100% (DLCs). In that case, you're not really getting the fullest content out of a game.

Yes you can get a plat without the DLC but I think he was just talking about the initial game. PlayStation games have two levels of trophies: the core list (initial game) and DLC trophies that come out later.

Because hard to get ones  show that you really liked the game and are a thing of pride for some people.
A   platinum trophy only really has as much value the as someone gives it.
For me   it's because I'm a  Completionist and its nice   to have something to show off and be able to look at  and reminisce :)

• Like 1

I think the posts I make quite clearly show my attitude towards trophy hunting, that I'm here to have a good time and whether I earn a platinum or not, it can be a part of that. I haven't platinumed a lot of games, but those I did platinum I had a great time with and I undoubtedly played more of certain games than I would have without the platinum, so there's a value for money aspect there too.  

So a platinum for me isn't something that I earn to be competitive with others, or score some bragging rights. It's more an indication of how much I enjoyed something, I try to make going for a platinum a fun experience and more often than not it is, even if I don't get it. 

I think this is one of these questions where there's no right answer. Everyone has different motivations and perspectives that ought to be respected. Whatever your reason for doing this is, good luck to you :highfive:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Replace Sound Shape with Steins;Gate and you're good to go :D ok, i know not 100% the same, but pretty much :P

I agree with most of you guys... Getting a platinum trophy was very special nowadays it's less rewarding with easy games... and yes i do have some of them too... going for a few easy and a few medium to hard plats... it's such a thrill to say i have platted Gran Turismo 5 for example... i chose to look at trophy lists to check what else can i do besides that that i already know? Because in many games i playthrough without thinking about trophies (though it becomes less like this) and doing additional playthroughs to collect trophies... but i don't just stop after getting a plat in a game that has dlc trophies... i go for all trophies cuz more stuff to explore... not always to enjoy though :D

I am  reading  Steins Gate it takes  like 50 hours lol

7 hours ago, Shiny Suicune said:

This is my personal opinion. I am warning so people won't jump on me.

Platinums for video games actually have *no* value at all. The *value* status is base on that person's opinion.

If you wish to collect the platinum trophies? Hey by all means, that's up to you.

If you wish to collect the platinum trophies for someone else to *notice* you? You got another thing coming. What you play shouldn't be based by someone else.

Next, only trophy sites like these give them "value" because that is what the site is for right? Track how many, Ultra Rares, Commons and total trophy count. Again, that is based on the person *own* opinion what the platinum means.

The *devaluing* of platinums is also based on opinion. So what if the person has 10 stacks of Sound and Shapes? Did you buy it for them? So what if the person has My Name Is Mayo? Once again did you buy it for them? What they have on *their* account is theirs isn't it?

Also if you wish to have a perfect list for yourself on how you want your *platinums* by all means. It is your account, your money and your games.

GAME ON!  

I only want to  play games that are fun that's my standard lol

Just now, Rexmon18 said:

I  have never  understood that people that achievement hunt for the sake of it.
If i can get  100%   average completion with all of the games on my profile  being games i like i will be happy :) 

I just play the darn game. If I want to platinum it, I'll go for it but the end of the day, if I beat the story, i already played the game lol

5 hours ago, Superbuu3 said:

Platinums are worthless and the only value they have is how much you see in them, but as with anything attached to a leaderboard people seem to rate them as having some kind of prestige attached to them. I can definitely understand and respect the effort that goes into the skill based ones. However, just getting a platinum in itself is meaningless and if you're just tryinig to acquire a tally just to impress people or boast by acquiring easy plats or paying for them, I'd feel sorry for you if that was the only way you could earn people's respect. I'm also saying that as a gamer who rates higher on these psn leaderboards then i'd probably rate in the world in pretty much anything. But I'd much rather people say I know Buu he's that guy who *insert positive comment here* and not oh yeah I know him from the PSN leaderboards.

For me its  a sense of personal achievement  not bragging rights :)

1 minute ago, Shiny Suicune said:

I just play the darn game. If I want to platinum it, I'll go for it but the end of the day, if I beat the story, i already played the game lol

I like seeing   everything in a game.

Edited by Rexmon18

Just now, Shiny Suicune said:

Sometimes the platinum doesn't mean that

I know it  annoys me lol
I spent 700 hours    making a complete living Dex in Pokemon with all alternate forms and gender differences  because I could nothing is as tedious as that.

3 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

Sometimes the platinum doesn't mean that

And as i said  I only 100% complete video game I enjoy if I'm not having fun I will stop.
I am  I'm a completionist so completing the game is part of the fun most of the time.

7 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

I know it  annoys me lol
I spent 700 hours    making a complete living Dex in Pokemon with all alternate forms and gender differences  because I could nothing is as tedious as that.

And as i said  I only 100% complete video game I enjoy if I'm not having fun I will stop.
I am  I'm a completionist so completing the game is part of the fun most of the time.

That doesn't bother me. If you are then you are :). Trophies are there to collect or not to collect. Some take it more serious then others. I am just on the un-biased side. I get trophies if I feel like it or not.

Also the Pokemon collecting is so fun lol. Besides the point yes collecting trophies is a choice not an obligation :)

2 minutes ago, Shiny Suicune said:

That doesn't bother me. If you are then you are :). Trophies are there to collect or not to collect. Some take it more serious then others. I am just on the un-biased side. I get trophies if I feel like it or not.

Also the Pokemon collecting is so fun lol. Besides the point yes collecting trophies is a choice not an obligation :)

I feel there are too many Pokemon  I'll never do it again lol

They are valuable here, and valuable for you. If that's what you like. Sure with all the 80-90% achivers platinum trophies out there, it lost his value a little bit, but still 95% of the playstation community don't give a damn about us, trust me lol. I'm a huge CoD gamer and all my friends don't give a damn about my trophies, most of the time they make fun of me (in the friendly way of course) but yeah, it's more like a personel thing. Like Stooge said, don't focus too much on it tho', you'll miss the fun of every games you play and even worse, you'll refuse to play one because of the trophies.

I love getting everything out of a purchase but most games to me have some really awful trophy lists that make the platinum instead feel like torture. I usually aim to squeeze out a games sidequests and optional objectives along with beating a game. If it wants online boosting, multiple runs, difficulty runs, or basic equipment runs I usually bail there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Yes, here is an example

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1301-gravity-rush/mako-heart

Weird-ish note, in the PS4 version the trophy list is the same despite DLC being a pack in.

Since you seem to be new to "online" gaming, not all DLC are created equal.

27 minutes ago, mako-heart said:

Yes, here is an example

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1301-gravity-rush/mako-heart

Weird-ish note, in the PS4 version the trophy list is the same despite DLC being a pack in.

Since you seem to be new to "online" gaming, not all DLC are created equal.

I'm far from being new to "online" gaming. The reason I asked because I saw games like Uncharted, you get Plat without having to 100% the game. So, the statement getting Plat means getting everything out of the game isn't accurate. You might be referring to base game but since they release DLCs/Expansions/Whatever-you-call-it, they are part of the game.

Edited by theSpirae

12 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

I'm far from being new to "online" gaming. The reason I asked because I saw games like Uncharted, you get Plat without having to 100% the game. So, the statement getting Plat means getting everything out of the game isn't accurate. You might be referring to base game but since they release DLCs/Expansions/Whatever-you-call-it, they are part of the game.

well im fine with not experiencing everything if its requires spending 100s of dollars on costumes like doa5 or blue reflection et al