Report: PSN Games & Other PS3 Data Won't Transfer To PS4

DanielVT

Report: PSN Games & Other PS3 Data Won't Transfer To PS4

by Matthew Kato

http://www.gameinfor...fer-to-ps4.aspx

3-2.jpg

Last night Sony revealed that PlayStation 3 games won't be compatible with the PlayStation 4, and now comes news that neither will your existing PSN titles.

Engadget has spoken to Shuhei Yoshida, Sony's Worldwide Studios president, who told them that neither PSN nor PS3 game saves will be able to make the jump to the new console.

During the press conference, Gaikai's David Perry said that it and Sony would like to bring multiple generations of PlayStation games to the PS4 via the cloud at some point during the PS4's lifecycle.

Edited by DanielVT

The PS3 will still be supported for years after the PS4 has been released. This is good news, since the PS4 isn't going to have alot of games at launch date. When you finish your game (inFamous Second Son, Killzone Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, etc.) you can fall back to your PS3 to keep getting trophies. Maybe games will become even cheaper after the PS4 gets released. This is just a theory, but maybe some games will be available on PS3 and PS4, which might mean two Platinums for the same game. That is if you buy both the PS3 and PS4 version. Of course I will only be doing this with games I actually want to replay.

I stated this in another post. If the PS4 isn't compatible with PS3 titles, why would we think that PSN games developed for the PS3 would transfer over? Hopefully when the streaming of older titles starts, we'll be able to play our purchased PS3 PSN titles without an additional fee.

I'm sorry, but this is simply not good enough on Sony's part. Yes, you could easily turn around and say, "dude just keep your PS3" but I think that's missing the point. This is a conscious effort on Sony's part to create a clear divide between PS3 and PS4 users. If you to want to purchase a PS4, you have to buy PS4 games, as opposed to enjoying the now expansive, cheaper PS3 catalogue. Also, to add insult to injury, you have to buy PS3 games on the PSN store to play them on your PS4, which just proves that the PS4 is more than capable of playing PS3 games; you merely have to pay extra for the privilege.

Also, why wouldn't Sony want to support its own back catalogue? Well, they learnt their mistakes from making the PS2 and first-wave of PS3 consoles backwards compatible: why give away something for free when you can charge for the very same service? Poor form, Sony.

From what I understand, older titles will be streamed to the PS4. The new system doesn't have to be BC in order to stream older games since you'll be playing them off of a server. I haven't heard about having to repurchase or not, though. It doesn't seem like the streaming is going to be available at launch, anyhow.

this is where the Gaikai streaming could come into play as they would know what has been bought and then could allow access to the titles that you have purchased through PSN on your ID :hmm:

Maybe, because we already know that they can store our saves to servers from PS+ and more recently the PlayStation Home 1.75 Update where they uploaded all saves to the servers... But maybe i'm just over-thinking abit... :ninja: