Why doesn't the PC have better looking exclusives?

Dreakon13

This isn't really intended to start a platform war... if it seems inflammatory, mods please feel free to move/delete.  It's a serious question I've wondered from time to time.

One thing you hear ad nauseum if you spend too much time around PC gamers is that "consoles are holding the PC back".  It's indeed true in some cases, when a port to the PC is bad enough that console-isms trickle in... like a lack of keyboard/mouse support, lack of customizable controls in general, or lack of graphical settings/scalability.  There are implications however that consoles "obsolete" hardware are holding back the raw power of the PC, life would be better without consoles, etc.

Yet when you look at the biggest, best games the PC has to offer that aren't on console (so they couldn't possibly be held back) you have games like DOTA and League of Legends... effectively freemium games that a toaster could run.  The Civ games and other various RTS's that again, require little horsepower under the hood.  Some newer MMO's seem particularly taxing, but are ultimately finding their way to consoles anyways.  Blizzard games have always been more artistically impressive than technically.

On a platform marketed for its raw power, it seems odd (almost hypocritical) that the best looking games are console ports.

Why aren't there more exclusives on PC that just blow everyones nips off graphically?  Is the money just not there for games requiring the highest end of hardware (thus limiting their customer base)?  It's been a long time since the Crysis days.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I think another factor is that the developers that have the resources and skill for such high end graphics aren't making exclusives to begin with, because there is a lot more money to be made with multi-platform games. A lot of my favourite PC exclusives are indie games, since it's a lot easier to just get your game out there on PC as an indie game, and most indie developers aren't striving for the kinds of graphics you're talking about.

Software  development is not at the same level as hardware development is  yet give it a few years to catch up.
I am talking  about the software that  controls how  graphics are  rendered.
The only stuff that  really needs to  use top of the line  CPU and GPU  is stuff  like Pixar CGI animation and render farms.
Not  consumer-level stuff  the consumer market typically takes about half a decade to catch up to the corporate one. 

Edited by Rexmon18

PC elitists like to yell and scream about graphics, however, if anybody who's been around long enough knows, graphics play a small part in selling a game. Most developers and publishers know this as well. Like previously stated, no dev/pub is going to invest $100 million into a game just so ten or twenty thousand people will buy it. They need to move as many copies as possible. PC gaming will never be as big as console gaming, plain and simple. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

PC elitists like to yell and scream about graphics, however, if anybody who's been around long enough knows, graphics play a small part in selling a game. Most developers and publishers know this as well. Like previously stated, no dev/pub is going to invest $100 million into a game just so ten or twenty thousand people will buy it. They need to move as many copies as possible. PC gaming will never be as big as console gaming, plain and simple. 

Steam sells far  more  games then PSN lol
I personally prefer console gaming because it's convenient.
But i would like a nice PC one day. 

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

but does it generate far more profit, or is this a case of lots of cheapo titles being bought?

He said   PC gaming will never be as big as console gaming.
Thats what i was trying to disprove  lol 
I think people should just play games on what ever they enjoy  lol 
No need to be a fanboy  or an  elitist:P
http://gearnuke.com/steam-sales-2015-valve-generated-total-3-5-billion-paid-games/ 

Edited by Rexmon18

5 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

Its not my fault less then 60 FPS hurts my eyes...
I have been told the PS4 PRO fixes that.

Yeah that was a joke, but I recently bought a high end machine for 3D design and I tried a few games on it. While playing at max settings and high, steady FPS is defo great, I just couldn't get into it on PC. I guess if I used a controller it would be better, but gaming feels so much better on my PS4 even though the quality is not as good. It's probably the fact that I'm used to the PS4 but for now my 300$ PS4 beats my 1500$ PC in my book. :D

3 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

Its not my fault less then 60 FPS hurts my eyes...

With all due respect, I'm pretty dubious to the "30fps makes me dizzy" excuse.  There may be very specific circumstances/conditions where that's the case... maybe that's the case with you... but as often as I hear about how "unplayable" 30fps is, I think it's less the game, and more hypochondria and people who like having an effectively un-debatable point against framerate caps.

Games with great graphics require a lot of investment.

Which means that you need to sell a lot of copies to return that investment back.

Which is almost impossible, since not only gaming community on PC is quite small (for $60 games), but you're also limiting it with high hardware requirements.

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

With all due respect, I'm pretty dubious to the "30fps makes me dizzy" excuse.  There may be very specific circumstances/conditions where that's the case... maybe that's the case with you... but as often as I hear about how "unplayable" 30fps is, I think it's less the game, and more hypochondria and people who like having an effectively un-debatable point against framerate caps.

My eyes have  issues to say the least.
And games look far better  at 60 FPS.
As i said the PRO fixes that.

2 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

I think both of you have points. For me, I get sick of companies advertising "FULL 60 FPS!", when that boost will add very little to the experience (e.g. Star Ocean 4, on PS4, isn't really going to benefit from 60 FPS). On the other hand, playing Demon's Souls again, I can respect the need for consistently high frame rate.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

Just now, Rexmon18 said:

I'm sure your eyes do, and I'm sure that games do.

But you can't sit here telling me for decades before "60fps" became an achieveable standard on any platform... that people were passing out, throwing up, having their eyes melt or whatever happens when you play a game at 30fps.

People saw something that looks better and they prefer it.  It's as simple as that.  No need for the excuses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harsly said:

Yeah that was a joke, but I recently bought a high end machine for 3D design and I tried a few games on it. While playing at max settings and high, steady FPS is defo great, I just couldn't get into it on PC. I guess if I used a controller it would be better, but gaming feels so much better on my PS4 even though the quality is not as good. It's probably the fact that I'm used to the PS4 but for now my 300$ PS4 beats my 1500$ PC in my book. :D

You can use a PS4 controller with steam lol
For me I care more about art direction and framerate then graphical fidelity to be honest.
I have been  playing Muramasa rebirth that game  would be unplayable for me if it was 30 FPS.

1 minute ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm sure your eyes do, and I'm sure that games do.

But you can't sit here telling me for decades before "60fps" became an achieveable standard on any platform... that people were passing out, throwing up, having their eyes melt or whatever happens when you play a game at 30fps.

People saw something that looks better and they prefer it.  It's as simple as that.  No need for the excuses.

I actually have vision problems lol
Long story.
Its not the games its my eyes.
30 FPS films make me sick as well lol 

3 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

I actually have vision problems lol
Long story.
Its not the games its my eyes.
30 FPS films make me sick as well lol 

And I reiterate, maybe yours is legit.  I think the legit ones are few and far between.

Like I said, hypochondriacs and people who like having a trump card for internet arguments.

Edited by Dreakon13

Anything with fast paced movement at less then 60 FPS make me feel sick lol

8 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

And I reiterate, maybe yours is legit.  I think the legit ones are few and far between.

Like I said, hypochondriacs and people who like having a trump card for internet arguments.

Something like Pokemon is fine at 30 FPS  because it doesn't really have fast paced movement.
But a lot of older  action games make me feel sick.
And most of   the Disney classics that were animated at 35 FPS do as well lol
I am  not making an argument I'm just saying it hurts my eyes lol
At least the PRO is a thing <3 
Mirror's Edge actually made me vomit uncontrollably lol
I think  it's actually inconsistent   framerates that makes me feel sick.
My mate  plays CS GO at  160 to 200 FPS it makes  me feel  sick when i watch.

Edited by Rexmon18
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Mate if you honestly believe 30fps is perfectly fine, then you're the one with health issues. Platformers and racing games are unplayable at 30fps. It's always a vast improvement and beats useless features like 3D, HDR, 4K or whatever buzzword comes next. In competitive gaming, 60fps is a joke as well. So either you're wrong or the entire eSports and competitive gaming playerbase is... mhmmmm.

57 minutes ago, Rexmon18 said:

Steam sells far  more  games then PSN lol
I personally prefer console gaming because it's convenient.
But i would like a nice PC one day. 

PC games also come out at cheaper prices, have insane sales so games are almost given away and has a consderably higher piracy rate.

If PC gaing had that much money in it there would be way more big budget PC exclusives and there aren't.

1 hour ago, DennisWilles said:

Mate if you honestly believe 30fps is perfectly fine, then you're the one with health issues. Platformers and racing games are unplayable at 30fps. It's always a vast improvement and beats useless features like 3D, HDR, 4K or whatever buzzword comes next. In competitive gaming, 60fps is a joke as well. So either you're wrong or the entire eSports and competitive gaming playerbase is... mhmmmm.

Unplayable? 

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Why aren't there more exclusives on PC that just blow everyones nips off graphically?  Is the money just not there for games requiring the highest end of hardware (thus limiting their customer base)?  It's been a long time since the Crysis days.

Because AAA games need to sell on all platforms to be profitable. In other words, they are being held back by old hardware (consoles). Games could look absolutely incredible if they were developed exclusively for gaming PCs, but they need to run on "current gen" consoles as well, which means that they're going to be developed with the weaker hardware in mind first and only then given additional options for PC.